• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Look what followed me home yesterday

69zeff65

I seem to attract crusty neglected bikes. This one is Barn Bike 2.0 and doesn't appear to be as bad off as the original Barn Bike in my shop. I will find out just how bad it is as I work to get it running after it's 31 year slumber in the barn.

Attachments

• R 502 8.JPG
    R 502 8.JPG
    329.3 KB · Views: 262
  • R 502 7.JPG
    R 502 7.JPG
    338.5 KB · Views: 257
  • R 502 4.JPG
    R 502 4.JPG
    276.7 KB · Views: 260
There does appear to be some layers (!) on it but looks like it's all there. Some of that will buff out! :stick

Is it an R50/2 or R60/2? The ball-end hand levers, if original, suggest something in the middle 1960s. 50K on the odometer might mean engine time??

Nice find! I have to admit that my first thought is, "Why can't I ever find one like that?" Oh well... great project!

Quick update!

It will need a complete engine overhaul and probably a replacement crankshaft. Much like Barn Bike 1.0 moisture built up inside the engine case and things got a little stiff. I have one cylinder off and will start working on the other one.
I'm not sure of what color it is, I thought maybe Baby Poop Brown Metallic but whoever did the repaint they got the pinstripes almost spot on. The BMW comfort seat, high rise handle bars and the nifty highway pegs makes this a long distance cruiser!

REALLY REALLY NICE!!!.........Will truly motivate you to get off that dead ass and actually do somethin......SPEAKING FOR ME........Oh such a deal......God bless..........

Exhaust looks a little loud!

I'm going to change that exhaust system out. It looks to be a very early Akrapovic "Sport" exhaust and I think it might be a little loud for my taste, look for it on the Flea Market in the future. I did have to dig out my handy dandy home built cylinder extractor. The left side came off fairly easy but the right side is a tad sticky so I left it laying over with a special mixture of "stuck piston in barrel loosening stuff" in the barrel. I going to clean up the heads and get them sent out for a rebuild and when I get the jugs and pistons separated and cleaned up I'll make a decision about what to do there. If nothing else this is a much needed distraction from trying to get Barn Bike 1.0 perfect and dirt free.

Attachments

• R 502 9.JPG
    R 502 9.JPG
    303.3 KB · Views: 194
  • R 502 11.JPG
    R 502 11.JPG
    316.5 KB · Views: 194
Slow as it can go

Lot of distractions around here. It's just about as slow going as the original Barn Bike. I should have one of them running soon.

Attachments

• barnbike 7.JPG
    barnbike 7.JPG
    316.3 KB · Views: 140
  • barnbike 8.JPG
    barnbike 8.JPG
    310.5 KB · Views: 139
  • turf green 2.JPG
    turf green 2.JPG
    382.3 KB · Views: 139
  • turf green 3.JPG
    turf green 3.JPG
    347.9 KB · Views: 139
Got the sheet metal stripped

I had it done at a shop a couple hours away that combines non acid chemicals and electrical current to strip the paint and eat the rust away. There is a certain amount of rust preventative in place to give me about two days after that to get some primer on it to keep it from starting to rust. I must admit it is very tempting to change course and instead of a restoration in a very very rare BMW color for 1965-66 and have no color at all. A Delorean finish?

Attachments

• sheet metal1.JPG
    sheet metal1.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 85
  • sheet metal2.JPG
    sheet metal2.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 85
  • sheet metal3.JPG
    sheet metal3.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 85
  • sheet metal5.JPG
    sheet metal5.JPG