• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Considering a purchase 2014-16 RT ?

skydog

I`m thinking of buying a 2014 -16 RT after riding a 08 RT the last 8 years any comments or critiques would be a great help. I`m looking at other brands but I keep coming back to BMW as the RT really fits my riding, I`m 68 and the wind protection is a big asset as I ride all year and I have`nt test rode one yet I assume they are similar to my 08 except all the new electronics and hopefully they're aren`t serious issues with those years. :thumb

You may want to be sure that any 2014 model you look at has a build date of June or later in 2014. The earlier production models in 2013 and 2014 have stator issues. I just replaced one in a friends bike it took about 20 hours of work to disassemble and reassemble on his RT. His bike does have a huge number of farkles and that represented least four of the hours.

Skydog - I also had a 2008 RT and after 50K miles traded for a 2015 RT. I now have almost 40K on the newer bike.

The tech piece is not overwhelming with the 2015. I find that most of the pieces (TPMS, Shift-Assist, Keyless Ride) are functional and useful. The bike seems to be built a little lower than the 2008.

I put Russell Day-Long seats on both bikes as well as Z-Technik windshields. I'm a little older than you, am 6'3" tall, 225# with long arms and legs, and some arthritic knees. The protection from the wind is great, and most of the time, I'm riding with the big windshield in the lowest position.

PM me if you'd want to talk. I'm also a YBer, living near Boston.

JG

2016 rt

Coming from an ‘05 to a ‘16 RT was like a leap in to the distant future. Have over 63,000 miles on my 2016 now, excellent bike, highly recommend.

I have owned a 07, 12, and now 17 RT. The latest is more zoomy (think K bike) than the earlier models, but similar in character otherwise. The radio/audio system is the same POS that was installed on the 12, it sucks. Only one Bluetooth connection unless you make your own audio rig up. The usual super proprietary BMW stuff, their way or no way. The GPS is interesting but hard to use. The rest of it is barely an improvement over the 12 except for the keyless lock/unlock/ignition which I really like. I would have held on to the 12 RT even with 84K miles but a local guy was selling the 17 rt with 600 miles for a dream price, so I bit.

I still wonder how you can go for two years and only put 600 miles on a bike...

IMO pretty much all years are good. Early ABS systems were prone to failure in 05-06 but beyond that you can't go wrong. If there are problems they are usually in the top posts of each forum, like fuel strips, wethead cam lobes, etc. Do your homework and if possible bring a buddy who knows the bike and what to look for. If you can't do that ask for a dealer inspection. It'll cost over $100 but will probably help you negotiate a better price.

BTW, this post should be in the wetheads section!

Some people don’t ride.
I just bought a 2017 R NineT with 658 miles and a 2001 R1100R with 2,850 original miles with one original owner.
I have put 1,000 on each in less than a month.

Back