• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New to me '07 R1200R - Anything I should be on the lookout for?

eydugstr

Hello everyone - Just got a 2007 R1200R. Is there anything in particular to this bike that I should be on the lookout for, recalls etc? Bike has 14k miles on it. Know this is a rather broad question, but I've been trying to read through the owner's manual but the way they have the maintenance schedule listed is different from what I'm used to from Kawasaki or Honda. Thanks.

Hello everyone - Just got a 2007 R1200R. Is there anything in particular to this bike that I should be on the lookout for, recalls etc? Bike has 14k miles on it. Know this is a rather broad question, but I've been trying to read through the owner's manual but the way they have the maintenance schedule listed is different from what I'm used to from Kawasaki or Honda. Thanks.

Hello eydugstr, I own a '07 1200r as well, love this bike! I've had it about 6 years,28k miles. Only 1 major problem, the dreaded ABS fault! this occured about 6 months after I purchased the bike, 15K miles. I removed the ABS module& sent it to ModuleMasters in Moscow ID. They fixed the problem, brushes in the electric motor get stuck/lodged, and loose contact with the commutator as they wear, that gives you the ABS fault light. The cost for the repair was around $250.00+shipping. I re-installed the module, and it has worked perfectly! So other than that, it's been the perfect bike for me. Oh yeah, check under the fuel filler for rust, some of these bikes didn't get much paint in there and will rust over time, mine did. Enjoy your R1200R, and ride safe!

You might want to research rust around the fuel cap. I've no idea how prevalent it is, but it has come up for discussion on several forums.
49f475d0a3c5822617b21eb006bd93c7.jpg

Thanks guys. This helps. Will definitely research the links. That rust under the fuel filler cap does not look fun to deal with at all. So far really like the bike, and outside of a missing rubber bushing for the kickstand, the only consistent issue that I've ran into has been slightly overfilling the tank, and having gas go out the overflow tube. Won't leak if I put it on the centerstand, but unless I've ridden it 15 miles or so will leak it if it's on the kickstand.

Have dealt with three of the Roadster metal tank filler necks. Only one looked like earlier picture.
The 9T addressed it with a few gaskets to stop the issue
Even if your tank hasn’t done this, it probably will

F5C78EBD-AB8B-4A58-B5AB-84B252CA75E7.jpeg

Thanks guys. This helps. Will definitely research the links. That rust under the fuel filler cap does not look fun to deal with at all. So far really like the bike, and outside of a missing rubber bushing for the kickstand, the only consistent issue that I've ran into has been slightly overfilling the tank, and having gas go out the overflow tube. Won't leak if I put it on the centerstand, but unless I've ridden it 15 miles or so will leak it if it's on the kickstand.

The manual says to fill the bike while on it's side stand to leave some air in the top of the tank. On a road trip, I ignore that and fill on the center stand, but I have never seen any overflow either way.

Back