• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K75S Battery too Tall?

The previous owner's parents had this bike sitting for many years. Thinking they could get it to start so they could unload it, they, of course, went to Walmart to get the cheapest battery they could find. I had the battery out to work on some items and now as I put it back in, it seems too tall. The clamping screws barely thread into the holder, and I see now it doesn't come down far enough to hold the side coolant tank tight. Am I correct that this is just the wrong battery for the bike? It is 6-7/8" tall. It ran in place with this battery, but I'm guessing it was just barely fitted in there, height wise. Which of course the owners knew full well, but didn't bother to tell me.

I have a spare PC680 that came out of my 1100, but it seems much too narrow to use with the K75 clamp bar, and too close to shorting out on the poles. I gather that won't work either. Correct? I am assuming that I now need to go find the right battery for the bike. Suggestions?

Attachments

• SAM_1775.JPG
    SAM_1775.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 117
  • SAM_1777.JPG
    SAM_1777.JPG
  • SAM_1776.JPG
    SAM_1776.JPG
  • SAM_1778.JPG
    SAM_1778.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 118
Last edited:
I've used PC 680s in my K100RT for nine or ten years. I put a small piece of wood (painted black) to fill the gap.

The PC680 is the preferred battery or your bike. There is an indentation in the battery tray that centers the battery in the tray making it fit properly. Pay attention when tightening down the clamp so that it stays clear of the terminals.

I run PC680s in all my K75Ss (6 of them).

:dance:dance:dance

The PC680 is the preferred battery or your bike. There is an indentation in the battery tray that centers the battery in the tray making it fit properly. Pay attention when tightening down the clamp so that it stays clear of the terminals.

I agree, I run PC680s in all my K75Ss (1 of them).:clap

K75 Battery too tall

The PC680 is the way to go as these guys can attest. To give myself an added measure of comfort, I split a piece of 1/4 " vacuum line and glued it to the around the edge of the battery hold down bar. ( 3M Super Weather Stripping adhesive.) Can't have the smoke getting out of the battery.

Get rid of that “cheapest battery they could find” and either install the PC680 with a heavy rubber strip under the holddown or buy a Yuasa YT19BL-BS which will fit perfectly.

I have been using the PC680 in all my bikes for over nine years and still have a couple of the original ones holding a charge. Last a long time, hold a charge, and give plenty of warning when dying of old age. Shim as needed for proper retention.

Be aware that the hold down bracket has two positions for slightly different height batteries. Flange down for shorter batteries. Flange up for taller batteries. Swap the coolant overflow rubber bumper to the appropriate side of the hold down.

Be aware that the hold down bracket has two positions for slightly different height batteries. Flange down for shorter batteries. Flange up for taller batteries. Swap the coolant overflow rubber bumper to the appropriate side of the hold down.

Good to know Lee!

From back when BMW had real mechanical engineers instead of IT guys designing motorcycles.

Well this should go in a different thread but it was an IT guy who programmed the machine that cut the grooves too deep in the Hayes calipers causing them all to leak. :clap

And then again, maybe it was the engineer who came up with the wrong specifications which some poor operator programmed in. :brow

Thank you to all for your advice. Since I already had the PC680, I put it in. I made a block of wood to back up the hold down,as suggested, but after clamping the battery in, it seemed secure without the block, so I left it out. I did add a full cutout of dense 1/4" foam under the clamp which evened out the height difference from one side to the other. Lee, I had no idea you could reverse the rubber tank bumper for different height batteries. That's pretty clever. Maybe the old battery might have worked, but I will keep the 680.

Last edited:
You have loosened the four axle clamp bolts and removed the end bolt, right?

You have loosened the four axle clamp bolts and removed the end bolt, right? :dance:dance:dance

Lee,
You were exactly right. I had not removed the clamp bolts on the right side, only the left. I thought the book said they were only on the left side. My mistake. Once I loosened the other side, the axle slid right out.

Back