• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Looking at an F800GT

Just looking for thoughts and opinions for trading a R1200GS Hex head for a F800GT. My 2007 GS fits me very well, I like everything about it except the weight, so I’m looking for something lighter which brought me to looking at a 2013 F800GT. Anyone here made such a move? I’ve ridden the F bike and my only complaint was some engine noise and buzzing at highway speeds. The attraction is weight loss. Just wanted to get some thoughts from others. Also posted in Hexheads - Camheads

You might try asking your question on f800riders.org cuz i'm sure there are some folks who have actually gone from the big GS to a smaller F800.

One thing I’ve read here on the forum is that the “GT” model is very hot to ride due to the fairing. The “ST” model seems to get better reviews in that respect.

If you like the GS format/style, you could look at the F700 or F800GS models too. They use the same engine as that GT (although I believe the GT gets a performance tweak.) I ride an F700GS (800cc engine) and really like it. Dry weight = 410 lbs, wet weight fully fueled = 461 lbs.

The shaft-driven and telelevered R bikes are entirely different from the F-Twins.
I think the F700 feels a lot more compact and solid than the R1200. The 1200 would likely be more comfortable for 2-up riding, though. The 700 still has plenty of zip and I have never wished for more power.
The F-twins all use outsourced engines. The 650-700-800 models are Austrian Rotax 804s, while the 750-850-900s are Chinese Loncins. Your choice there.
I did not like the buzziness of the 700 but was able to reduce it significantly with bar end weights, foam grip sleeves, a riser mod, and by richening the fuel mixture a bit. It seems smoother than the 1200 now, and i hardly ride the bigger bike any more.

Had 2015 F800GT/moved to 2017 R1200GS

I bought a new F800Gt in 2015, but in 2017 I traded it in on a new R1200GS because,

--F800GT was too delicate. I dropped it a couple times and those fairings are not tough at all, and expensive to repair/replace. The R1200GS with crash bars is indestructible, comparatively. This was the principle reason I traded!! The F800GT was an overall OK bike, though. I'd probably still have the F800GT, except for wanting a bike I could drop once in a while without breaking the bank.

--Had a funny rattling noise when in neutral with the clutch pulled (just annoying, not a real problem)

--Had to wind it up beyond 6000 rpm before it started feeling "sporty". I rode a GSXR600 once and the F800GT's does not have anything close to the GSXR's performance feel.

--no cruise control in 2015 model. I used a Keiko throttle friction device which worked, but not at all comparable to real cruise control

What I liked about the F800GT,

---Belt drive (I'm lazy)

---a little lighter

---cheaper than R1200GS

What I like better with the R1200GS

--much more maneuverable at very slow speeds

--the factory-lowered version fits me well (F800GS/GSA are too tall for me.)

--more usable low-rpm power

--more upright riding position is more pleasant (though F800GT was acceptable even on very long trips) F800GT doesn't have a really low riding position like the GSXR.

Just looking for thoughts and opinions for trading a R1200GS Hex head for a F800GT. My 2007 GS fits me very well, I like everything about it except the weight, so I’m looking for something lighter which brought me to looking at a 2013 F800GT. Anyone here made such a move? I’ve ridden the F bike and my only complaint was some engine noise and buzzing at highway speeds. The attraction is weight loss. Just wanted to get some thoughts from others. Also posted in Hexheads - Camheads

Not all F series buzz. People like to point out bad thing more so than good. I went from a R1150R to a F800ST. Minor changes from ST to GT. Depending on your size some change windshields, seats, lower pegs and bar risers but each to his or herself to fit. Mirrors extensions is the most add on item for the ST and GT. ;) Are you going to do all street riding? MPG is great too!

Back