• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sidecar on K1200LT

edgargs

Just ordered a Classic Twin sidecar from Hannigan in Murray KY and will be headed up with the LT for installation and orientation/training in a few weeks. Trailering because it's a 3-4 day process. My wife and I will be staying nearby while we wait. Here's the question- Will someone who has this sidecar on an LT measure the assembled width so I can verify my trailer is wide enough? If you don't have the Classic Twin car I would appreciate measurements for what you have. Thanks!
EdgarGS

Sidecar Width

I have an SP2 on an LT and the width (bike tire to rig tire) is 65".

See specs for the classing below . . .

But a trailer may need to be wider to accommodate the panniers on the LT and the overhand on the sidecar if not a flat bed.

I tried to rent a uhaul years ago and was not successful since they were not wide enough.

Class Specs.jpg

Good luck . . .

Width of Sidecar Rig

Thanks for the overall width dimension for your LT/Sp2 rig. Per Hannigan's website, the track of the Classic Twin is 58"-62" and for the SP2 it is 60"-64". I suppose they are indicating that as the overall width that you measured as 65" on your rig. I have a great bike trailer and i can space the fenders outward. and get a flat bed clearance of (maybe) 80". The staff at Hannigan was very helpful in working with my wife on sidecar model and options. However, they were not able to give me a specific number for width. A technician in the back of the shop said, "about 80" is all you need for any of our sidecars". The plan is to trailer the LT to Hannigan in Murray (6 hour ride) then vacation in Nashville until assembly is done. Obviously I don't want to discover that it won't fit. As you noted most utility trailers are less than 80" bed width.

Trailer for Sidecar

I have not found a trailer yet that will accommodate my LT & Hannigan Classic Twin rig. I will need about 85" deck width which likely means a deck-over trailer type like a car hauler. The maximum outside dimension allowed by DOT is 108" I think. It fits fine in my toy hauler RV. If I find or build a solution I will post. Meanwhile we are enjoying riding it.

I have not found a trailer yet that will accommodate my LT & Hannigan Classic Twin rig. I will need about 85" deck width which likely means a deck-over trailer type like a car hauler. The maximum outside dimension allowed by DOT is 108" I think. It fits fine in my toy hauler RV. If I find or build a solution I will post. Meanwhile we are enjoying riding it.

You might not have these in Georgia, but if you can locate an open snowmobile trailer it would probably meet your needs. They are wide enough for two sleds and with the flat deck over the wheel wells there are no fenders to limit your width.

Pete

You might not have these in Georgia, but if you can locate an open snowmobile trailer it would probably meet your needs. They are wide enough for two sleds and with the flat deck over the wheel wells there are no fenders to limit your width.

Pete

Yes, flatbed snowmobile or UTV trailer. My K1200GT with Hannigan Astro Sport has a track width of 64” and requires a minimum of 78” opening width to load into an enclosed trailer, which eliminates a lot of 7ft width enclosed trailers.

Best,
DG

I found a good used trailer that I can load two hacks on or three solo bikes. The deck is 12’ x 80” and the fenders, outside the deck, are 9” high. You say you need 85” wide. Is that your outside dimension or do you have some wiggle room at the deck? My trailer is an aluminum frame, wood deck with aluminum ramps that can be moved individually to adjust for width, can be used on the sides, and store under the deck. The box is obviously my add on.
A1415892-4062-47D4-9869-7750BA35E3A0.jpg
0FFF8C97-793F-4706-9A6A-EEE7EB252CE9.jpg

Back