• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Neutral switch workaround?

RTandGS

Looking for help with how to solve the fact that my bike won’t crank Over unless the neutral light is on. The bike is in neutral, but the starter button doesn’t work until the neutral light comes on. I’m looking to just take this safety feature out and have the bike crank when I want it to.

Thanks!

Markus
2001 RT

Assuming it is an 1150, your RT should crank/start in gear if the sidestand is up and clutch lever is pulled in while in gear.
If it does not, check your sidestand switch and the clutch level switch.
If you have issues with the neutral light it is most likely the transmission gear position switch. Does the RID display the correct gears?

It’s an 1100RT not an 1150.

Yes the correct gear is indicated on the display. I have stood befuddled as to why the starter button had no effect and then found that when the green neutral light comes on, it would crank over. Weird, right?
Can I bypass the transmission gear switch?

It’s an 1100RT not an 1150.

Yes the correct gear is indicated on the display. I have stood befuddled as to why the starter button had no effect and then found that when the green neutral light comes on, it would crank over. Weird, right?
The 1100 is is wired differently.
They are prone to the 'lazy" neutral switch. A common problem. Replacement with new is the fix.

It’s an 1100...

Yes, you can work around this. As said, sidestand up, pull in the clutch lever, hit the starter button. If it still won't start unless the light is on, then you have a 2nd issue - the clutch safety switch is also not working. Much easier to fix the clutch switch than the neutral switch. You could remove the switch from the lever assembly and try to get the plunger working. Or just replace the switch with new. Part # 61 31 1 459 569 - SWITCH, $85.97 - from the Max BMW parts fiche.

Capture.JPG

Yes ^^^^^
It’s a bugger when the bike happens to be in gear, you are not on the seat, the start button is hit..... and the bike makes a short trip without you.
OM

Yup. It’s also a bugger when your bike doesn’t pass annual safety inspection. I was surprised how familiar my inspector was with the safety lockouts, as he tested each one.

Back