• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

F800ST centerstand

AntonLargiader

I have a customer with an ST, no centerstand (looks like it had one in the past), wanted me to add one at the next service. Ordered the stand and the mounting kit, and the bushings don't match the stand. The holes in the centerstand are 20mm while the bushings are 18mm. I can understand a bit of clearance but 2mm is a rattle-fit.

I'm going to solve this with K75 bushings, but I am just curious about the mismatch. For those of you with STs, can you tell me if the holes and bushings are 18mm, 20mm, or mixed like I am seeing?

All done.

I scraped the paint out of the holes in the centerstand, then wire-wheeled the plating off the bushings and grooved them for the O-rings that the Oilhead centerstands use (same diameter bushing):
f800 - 1.jpg

It is a bit tricky to tighten the inside nut on the left side but everything worked out. It looks a LOT better than it would have with the parts from the kit, and works better also. I pulled the inserts out of the holes in the footpeg plates so that the K75 bushings would press-fit into the recesses (it will make sense when you look at it in person):
f800 - 2.jpg

The rear wheel of the ST (fairly new tread) rests about 55mm off the ground. Higher than I think it needs to be, but the sidestand is the regular height one so I have no reason to think the shock is the short version. The customer is happy; it's exactly what he wanted.

Still curious about the parts that were originally provided with the bike when new.

Back