• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Recognize this Oil Cap?

kkahn

oilcapr1100rt.jpg

I just picked up a 2000 11RT and it has this as the oil cap. Anyone know what it is and where I can get the tool to remove it?

[

I just picked up a 2000 11RT and it has this as the oil cap. Anyone know what it is and where I can get the tool to remove it?

Looks like you could turn that with your fingers.

Welcome to the forum.

I have to say I have never seen that before. It looks like a cast part, so not a low-production machined part. It could be made from something else. I would remove it with needlenosed pliers. Post a pic of the bottom of it when you get it off, please!

Got it

3oilcapr1100rt.jpg2oilcapr1100rt.jpg

Got it off. Needle nose worked great.

At first I thought it might just be the completely wrong part, but it looks like the ring inside the engine is designed for it. Doesn't seem as secure as a threaded cap. Doesn't leak though.

There are a bunch of strange things about this bike. Looks like they disabled the ABS as the lights don't go on and there is no ABS check, although the breaks work great. Also looks like braided cable lines, so I'm pretty sure the front breaks have been redone. The stereo and speakers are missing which is not a problem for me at all.

Rides well.

Last edited:
The inner plastic part is stock; the OEM cap twists on just like yours does.

Very interesting. It looks like a cast part, and that implies a production volume that should have had one cross my path before. Unless it happens to be a part made for something else that just happens to work.

I'm wondering if it is missing some black plastic part on the top that makes it easier to take off?

Some after market part, maybe Tourtech I think. You are to use some sort of key to remove it so non- owners don't put thinks in your oil. What is the year & model?

This is what came with my Oilhead. A tool was needed to lock and remove it. I retired it shortly after getting the bike in favour of OEM oil cover. The bottom of mine is different than yours but I would guess that both are after market items.

Don't know why anyone would need to lock up either their oil or gas on a motorbike.

IMG_20201101_145923 (2).jpg

Some after market part, maybe Tourtech I think. You are to use some sort of key to remove it so non- owners don't put thinks in your oil. What is the year & model?

2000 R11RT. Don't know how much security it gives when it can be taken off with needlenose easily. I'll probably replace it with an oem.

Thank guys

How much security do you need? I have been riding for 50 years and have never heard of anyone dumping something into the crankcase, or oil tank. If they want to "F" with you, 5 seconds and a sharp key will do thousands of dollars damage to you paint. I can't see anyone taking the time to pour something into the crankcase.

My RT is the first oil cap that can not be removed by hand and I have considered replacing it, but as the RT uses little to no oil I never have to remove the cap. Most motorcycles I owned in the past had a dipstick attached to the cap.

Cap

2000 R11RT. Don't know how much security it gives when it can be taken off with needlenose easily. I'll probably replace it with an oem.

Thank guys

If it does not leak I would it keep and use the pliers To remove and replace

Back