• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Have re-located to CO

SilverGirl

Rapunzel
Hello all! :wave After living in New England for just about all of my adult life I have re-located to the northern front range of Colorado (my previous screen name here on the forum was NewEnglander). Yes, I did this move over the summer in the midst of the COVID-19 mess we find ourselves in! The move was quite the adventure, to say the least. It took me several months to find a permanent residence and I am now settled enough to think about life again. I'd love to hear from others in the area and find perhaps some form of getting to know a new local club, its members, and the things they are doing at this point.

A little about myself - I have been riding since 1981, got my first BMW in 1983 and it was a 1980 R65. I rode that bike until June of 2005 when I sold the R65 and bought a brand new R1150R. Since buying that bike I have been to several of the National rallies that had me riding cross country more than once; I have attended Bloomsburg, Sedalia, Redmond (OR), Billings, Hamburg, Lebanon. The Bloomsburg rally was my first rally since 1993 and I felt like a little kid in a candy store! I had a blast in spite of the heat. Other rides have been to CO and NM to visit friends and family. I was also active in the Granite State BMW Riders (NH) since 2006 - I was newsletter editor for several years, and sat on the club Board as Secretary (5 [6?]) years, President (5 years) and Director (2 years).

I look forward to hearing from folks in the front range/Rocky Mt. area!

Cheers, Louise

Glad you made the transition...safely! Now the next order of business...changing your profile info! Maybe that's something you can do when winter sets in! :wave

Welcome SilverGirl! From the PNW. You even have the right color R1150R. Is that part of your handle?

Welcome to Colorado! Been here a little over 18 months from Michigan (chasing grandkids brought me here).
As you're starting to find out - great place to ride. - we just need to get rid of the wildfires.

Can vouch for the BMW Motorcycle Club of Colorado - great group, very active.
https://bmwmcc.org/

Hope to see you at a breakfast sometime. Ride safe.

Glad you made the transition...safely! Now the next order of business...changing your profile info! Maybe that's something you can do when winter sets in! :wave

Didn't wait for winter - it's already been here anyway. Got it updated! Thanks for the heads up on that. The transition from MA to CO was actually easier than getting to Denmark to see my new/first grandchild! Took 5 tries to get there!!

Hi Louise,
Good to hear you got out to what has to be a better place :thumb
Gary

It's been an interesting time. I loved being in New England and got spoiled by having endless great riding right out my driveway but having been laid off from a 43 year stint with the same bunch of people made me realize it was time to make the change. I wasn't going to ride this season anyway due to torn rotator cuff surgery failure. Need to be closer to family and I get that here in CO. Now that the fires are mostly out or contained I can finally see the mountains! I am hoping the shoulder will be put back together for next season of riding but in the meantime want to at least reach out to local folks. Cheers! Louise

Welcome to Colorado! Been here a little over 18 months from Michigan (chasing grandkids brought me here).
As you're starting to find out - great place to ride. - we just need to get rid of the wildfires.

Can vouch for the BMW Motorcycle Club of Colorado - great group, very active.
https://bmwmcc.org/

Hope to see you at a breakfast sometime. Ride safe.

Thanks for the welcome! Well, bummer! I checked in too late and missed the breakfast this week. But... I was helping family with a move. I have not been riding this season due to moving and then numerous attempts to get to Denmark to meet my first grandchild. I succeeded, finally, in late August. Then did my final move in late September and am still unpacking. I am also not riding this season because surgery I had back in December on a completely torn rotator cuff failed and almost everything has torn off the pins. So, I am being cautious by not riding because I simply don't have some muscles functioning. Next week I start the process of figuring out the way forward on this issue. I will try to get to a breakfast sooner rather than later! Annnddddd..... I can now see the mountains because the wildfires have finally either gone out or are mostly contained! Yay!!

Love Colorado!

SilverGirl,

I know you will love it there. I have a brother in Durango and I love riding in Colorado. Unbelievable riding there both on and off road.

dp

SilverGirl,

I do some group rides but mostly solo rides do to my lack of planning :D. I have a bunch of maps of rides I have put together for other groups and myself and can give you some suggestions on where to go once the snow heads back up into the hills. Anything from a quick couple hour ride to multi-day rides, some must ride roads for sure, I found a new one that I need to ride this year. I have just picked up a BMW and what a ride, I expect that I will be riding a lot this year.

I know there is a BMW group that meets in Morison for breakfast on the weekends I think anyone is welcome to join them. Have fun and enjoy the ride, just be careful this time of the year you never know the road conditions in some of the canyons because the snow can stay for weeks after the snow.

So...., Colorado Northern Front Range/Fort Collins folks....

Hello again. We finally seem to be making a go of having a winter here! While doing my best imitation of a hermit I was beginning to think that maybe we'd get away unscathed by winter. No such luck. Guess I'll keep working on that hermit thing......:whistle:whistle

I'd like to find a really good orthopaedic doctor who is well versed in reverse total shoulder replacement procedures. I want to get a second opinion.
Has anyone who lives in the northern front range/Fort Collins area had this procedure and would be comfortable making a recommendation?

If you've had the procedure I would LOVE to know how it worked out for you and how it impacted your riding. I am dealing with a totally torn rotator cuff and am being told my only options at this point are to live with situation or get the reverse total shoulder replacement procedure.

thanks in advance!

Louise/Silver Girl

Jean Excell

Not sure about her knowledge of medical doctor recommendations, but former MOA VP and current Colorado RC can point you in the right direction all things BMW MOA and Colorado. Her email address is:
jean_excell@yahoo.com Drop her a line, I’m sure she can help get you sorted.

Congrats on your move. We were in Colorado two times in 2020.
The first time we were close to your area when we ran up the Pouder River Canyon.
We wanted to do Pouder River again on the September trip but the road was closed due to the Cameron Peak fire.
We ended up dropping into Colorado at Walden.

Later when you can get out for day rides run up Pouder River to Walden and have lunch at the River Rock Cafe.

Pouder River & Walden (12).jpg

Congrats on making a move in these troublesome times! Good luck finding a surgeon.

Thanks! I hope your shoulder heals alright!

I don't think we will be meeting up in pouring rain in Virginia again any time soon. Perhaps you will find your way out here sooner rather later but that's a long haul for you.

The move was, shall we say, entertaining. Even more so with an arm that is compromised.

Cheers, Louise

Not sure about her knowledge of medical doctor recommendations, but former MOA VP and current Colorado RC can point you in the right direction all things BMW MOA and Colorado. Her email address is:
jean_excell@yahoo.com Drop her a line, I’m sure she can help get you sorted.

Thank you for the contact information. I will be in touch with her.

Cheers, Louise

Welcome to Colorado!

New to the BMWMOA, late to this post, but been in Colorado for 24 years.
Welcome! Welcome to the most beautiful and best state in the US!

I hope you're getting settled and have been able to get to know some of Colorado. Now you're going to get the snow! But as you've probably figured out, our snow doesn't stay around until May like on the Northeast.

Cheers! Alan

Back