• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

35 years in the bag.....36654

It should be a combination thereof. Maybe a combination totaling 100 years, however you get there. I've been a member forty-five years, and am sixty-six years old. I never thought of not remaining a member, but definitely spend more time reading the forum posts than the magazine. Starting out, for me, it was an opportunity to network with other BMW riders, find information regarding BMWs, and sourcing parts. Participating in rallies was a good opportunity for fellowship with folks and a common interest. Now they're also an opportunity to see some old, familiar faces, relive some old war stories and catch up. Sorry to hear this riders swan song, but grateful for his thirty-five years of contributions. Stay well, take care and ride easy.
gp

Dear 36654

Sorry to hear of your leaving. 35 years for you but me I have half of that.
Yes I don't think we need some of this modern technology like you said.

Yes we do need more humor! You and BC1100S running off together. :rofl Thanks Lee.

I'm not sure what you mean by Civil / Drug War issue? But that is your business.
Many Happy Trails Ahead for you.:whistle

It should be a combination thereof. Maybe a combination totaling 100 years, however you get there.
gp

I like that idea because it would put me in the free membership group.
The big problem with that setup is the budget would take a big hit. Suddenly the MOA would have very few paying members :)

Honorary Lifetime Membership

I like that idea because it would put me in the free membership group.
The big problem with that setup is the budget would take a big hit. Suddenly the MOA would have very few paying members :)

Unless it's been changed, the BMW MOA has a policy to grant an honorary lifetime membership to any one who has a) been a dues-paying member for 25 consecutive years, and b) is at least 75 years old. You apply by contacting the BMW MOA office. If you qualify, you also get a certificate, pin, patch, and distinctive card.

See comments about timeliness of information delivery via print and the availability of access to parts and products outside of a rally event.

He “left” almost 5 years ago, if I read this correctly. This is a member in the prime member demographic that no longer sees the value in the club’s value proposition.

Member age is just one symptom of the club’s issues with understanding exactly what and who it should be, imho.

Rereading the OP's original post those things are certainly there. Unfortunately, his story could be the story for many others.

Rereading the OP's original post those things are certainly there. Unfortunately, his story could be the story for many others.

Bingo. The client just told you why they’re not buying anymore.

There’s the nut the board should be tasking themselves with cracking. Solve those, market it well and grow the club. What is their current plan to do so? Do we do any exit interviews?

Bingo. The client just told you why they’re not buying anymore.

There’s the nut the board should be tasking themselves with cracking. Solve those, market it well and grow the club. What is their current plan to do so? Do we do any exit interviews?

I don't know about the last four years, but before that the MOA Office was doing exit interviews. Working from memory, the most frequently sited reason was "quit riding" or "sold bike" (typically due to age). When a customer is no longer in the market for what you sell, they are just not a customer any more.

I don't know about the last four years, but before that the MOA Office was doing exit interviews. Working from memory, the most frequently sited reason was "quit riding" or "sold bike" (typically due to age). When a customer is no longer in the market for what you sell, they are just not a customer any more.

I agree, BUT ....

We do have some publicly announced departures which state in essence that the BMW MOA just doesn't offer what they want any more. They don't need the BMW MOA because of free stuff on the Internet and the many good videos about tech and trips.

We have many defections because riders are changing brands. I recall the wave of departures to FJRs and ST1300s during the parade of Oilhead final drive failures, particularly among the long-distance riders. Recently it seems to be the Yamaha Tenere and the Goldwing that are appealing to folks. Toss in a Ducati here and there now that it is possible to adjust the valves without a Phd in astrophysics or mystical engineering.

The few most recent announcements pain me a lot because they are by people I had a lot of respect for and who contributed a lot to the dynamics of this forum. I hate to see them leave.

Last edited:
I agree, BUT ....

We do have some publicly announced departures which state in essence that the BMW MOA just doesn't offer what they want any more. They don't need the BMW MOA because of free stuff on the Internet and the many good videos about tech and trips.

We have many defections because because riders are changing brands. I recall the wave of departures to FJRs and ST1300s during the parade of Oilhead final drive failures, particularly among the long-distance riders. Recently it seems to be the Yamaha Tenere and the Goldwing that are appealing to folks. Toss in a Ducati here and there now that it is possible to adjust the valves without a Phd in astrophysics.

The few most recent announcements pain me a lot because they are by people I had a lot of respect for and who contributed a lot to the dynamics of this forum. I hate to see them leave.

Paul, I couldn't agree more.

I agree, BUT ....

We have many defections because because riders are changing brands. I recall the wave of departures to FJRs and ST1300s during the parade of Oilhead final drive failures, particularly among the long-distance riders. Recently it seems to be the Yamaha Tenere and the Goldwing that are appealing to folks. Toss in a Ducati here and there now that it is possible to adjust the valves without a Phd in astrophysics or mystical engineering.

It's all about people, and riders of the marque that we're also attracted too.
Your last sentence Paul... speaks to the feeling of many of us.

I would not own a BMW were it not for the experience, technical advice and good will on this forum and appreciate far more than my meager annual dues express, the contributions of the "ancients," here.

Back