• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K12RS Clutch Replacement Details

jpdicarlo

I'm about to start a clutch replacement on a 2002 K1200RS. I've done several of these in the past on various BMWs, so I remember what I'm in for.

What I recall is the need to replace two seals: an o-ring and a lip seal, both off the back of the engine. When I look at the parts fiche for the K, I see only the o-ring. No lip seal that I can see. Am I remembering an R bike rebuild that had different parts not on the K?

TIA

I'm about to start a clutch replacement on a 2002 K1200RS. I've done several of these in the past on various BMWs, so I remember what I'm in for.

What I recall is the need to replace two seals: an o-ring and a lip seal, both off the back of the engine. When I look at the parts fiche for the K, I see only the o-ring. No lip seal that I can see. Am I remembering an R bike rebuild that had different parts not on the K?

TIA

O-ring and a seal is correct. They are listed in different diagrams in the parts fiche.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...41-BMW-K_1200_RS_01_0547,0557_&diagId=21_0073

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...41-BMW-K_1200_RS_01_0547,0557_&diagId=11_1882

Best,
DeVern

You’re quite welcome!

Since you’ve done this before I’m sure you are aware that it is usually the o-ring that fails, not the seal. But, both get replaced once you’ve done the labor to get in that far. The o-ring is a 19mm x 4mm and I don’t use the BMW-supplied o-ring since those rings have already shown their inability to stand up to heat over time, drying out and cracking such that they usually come out in pieces. Instead, I source Viton o-rings in that size from a local hydraulics supplier—the Viton does a much better job of tolerating the heat in that area.

YMMV, of course, and good luck with the project!

DeVern

Back