• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel milage record on a 2016 RT

rangerreece

RangerReece
Usually,
I’m running around 54mpg indicated, closer to 52mpg actual (actual defined by ye ole calculator) on my commute. My last tank of gas was 4.5 gallons 270 miles. When I ran those numbers 60mpg! Amazing! (Indicated was 59.4)

2016 RT
93 Octane ethanol free
26.2 mile commute, 52.4 mile round trip, all pavement.
Several light hills but mostly flat terrain 2 or 3 stop signs.
Average speed 51mph 5th gear.
Pirelli Angel GT2 on rear 42psi
Pirelli Angel GT on front 38psi
Top case off side cases on.
205lb rider with approximately 20lbs of luggage.

I can match those numbers if I keep it under 55mph and watch how hard I twist the grip, but I just don't want too! Typically, I get 40-45 MPG with my 2018 RT.
My one HD Ultra Classic, after. I built and tuned the engine would get 48 MPG in the same driving conditions. Stock it might get 45 MPG.

That sounds typical for that kind of use on gas without alcohol. My 2017 averages right around 50 on moderately hilly rural roads at 55-65 mph, usually running with standard 10% ethanol gas (pretty much all we can get around here). This is about 3 mpg better than my previous 1100 oilhead did. I also have a HD 883 that gets about 55-60 mpg for the same usage, but the BMW is far more entertaining and useful.

Fuel mileage

I wanted to see how far I could go on a tank of gas on my 2016 BMW R1200RT. I strapped a one gallon gas can on the seat behind me and hit the road. I was on all two lane roads in Upper Michigan. I quick shifted and kept the speed to 62 mph max and 4,000 rpm max. I made it an amazing 353 miles before I ran out. It took 6.6 gallons. That averaged 53 mpg. Impressive.

I wanted to see how far I could go on a tank of gas on my 2016 BMW R1200RT. I strapped a one gallon gas can on the seat behind me and hit the road. I was on all two lane roads in Upper Michigan. I quick shifted and kept the speed to 62 mph max and 4,000 rpm max. I made it an amazing 353 miles before I ran out. It took 6.6 gallons. That averaged 53 mpg. Impressive.

Fuel economy and payload... tried and true stalwarts of BMW motorcycles. Thanks for sharing that. Good info.

Back