Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Saying Hello

Rfi

Thanks for the pic. Nice looking work. Motogadget's recommended minimum of 10cm space between coil and m-Unit definitely makes placement tough on some of these builds. I've barely got 10cm from coil body to the m-Unit under my /2 tank (but it's less if measured to the coil mounting rod...).

I'm a welder and machinist by trade, and like many, wiring is a weak point I am constantly working on. I certainly don't know much about RF interference, but have seen its effects on many occasions when TIG welding, especially with pulsed TIG operations. So, thinking of the coil in those terms (a unit producing pulsed high voltage electrical output), placing it near an m-Unit definitely gives me pause! I've heard that it's worse/more of an issue for the Bluetooth equipped versions.

I'll definitely be curious to learn if you experience any issues with this set up.

Keep us posted with the build. Definitely enjoying seeing your progress.

Thanks for documenting and sharing!

ECJ

Got a lot done today :P

more or less started, the second gas hit the carbs!

Sounds good! Nice and throaty.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Roundels back on, so close now !!!

BMW.jpg

Bits

It is interesting how you have run the brake lines for the front brake system. Are you sure it will hold up to the movement of the forks and such?

Speaking of front forks, one thing to improve handling is to use the tubular brace between the fork legs. I have one on each of my bikes, it eliminates the stamped metal brace for fender support and adds stiffening to the front suspension.

Other than that, it is cool looking. A very nice piece of craftsmanship. Have a hoot riding it. St.

LOL I took the mufflers off of my RT one time for a ride just to see how it would sound. My local parish priest gave me a bit of grief as I had passed his church during service and drowned him out. Mind you, I like a nice exhaust note but if it is loud enough to hear in my living room, it is too loud. Just a thought, don't want to start a fight. St.

I like the look of the build but that part of me says there just needs to be some sort of rear fender. I still haven't PM'd you about engine paint.

Fenders

Well, fenders are really only needed in the rain or when following a leaking liquid manure wagon, LOL. St.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post
    It is interesting how you have run the brake lines for the front brake system. Are you sure it will hold up to the movement of the forks and such?

Speaking of front forks, one thing to improve handling is to use the tubular brace between the fork legs. I have one on each of my bikes, it eliminates the stamped metal brace for fender support and adds stiffening to the front suspension.

Other than that, it is cool looking. A very nice piece of craftsmanship. Have a hoot riding it. St.

LOL I took the mufflers off of my RT one time for a ride just to see how it would sound. My local parish priest gave me a bit of grief as I had passed his church during service and drowned him out. Mind you, I like a nice exhaust note but if it is loud enough to hear in my living room, it is too loud. Just a thought, don't want to start a fight. St.
    On the brake line, I am concerned. What I'll likely do is remove the fixed point on the triple clamp and replace it with a guide, so free play just pops upwards - It's exactly like this on my KTM Enduro.

On the exhaust, I was actually surprised at how reasonable it sounded. Maybe it's because my bar is pretty high on exhaust volume, with open single cylinder dirtbike and supermoto pipes. Also from my forum name, maybe I wouldn't be too concerned about noise close to a church :P. I lived in London UK for 10 years and commuted with open piped supermotos. Loud there meant safe. No one heard or cared about a horn, but a quick blip of the throttle could get anyone's attention, like a pedestrian about to walk into the road, or a vehicle about to do something stupid!

Forks-wise, if I find the front squidgy, I'll look into the brace, Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by stevenrankin View Post
    well, fenders are really only needed in the rain or when following a leaking liquid manure wagon, lol. St.
    Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    I like the look of the build but that part of me says there just needs to be some sort of rear fender. I still haven't PM'd you about engine paint.
    I don't ride in the rain

All in CAPS if I could

Hey it's your build, do what you want. I was just pointing out the aesthetic that I feel looking at it. The noise from the pipes certainly don't bother m a bit. Let me know how it goes the first time you get caught out in the wet.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    Hey it's your build, do what you want. I was just pointing out the aesthetic that I feel looking at it. The noise from the pipes certainly don't bother m a bit. Let me know how it goes the first time you get caught out in the wet.

Where I live,

Where I live, rain and liquid manure wagons are common. LOL. St.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post
    Where I live, rain and liquid manure wagons are common. LOL. St.
    Okeydokey- Spencerport NY: officially crossed off of my list of potential retirement relocation destinations. I guess the key would be to find the rain after you find the manure wagons.

Lookin' good Seth- what are you doing for mirrors?
    Jim (MOA 83200)
    '78 R80/7 (Anastasia) and '84 R100RS (The Millennium Falcon), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '97 Nissan XE PU (Mighty Mouse)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas, baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by jad01 View Post
    Okeydokey- Spencerport NY: officially crossed off of my list of potential retirement relocation destinations. I guess the key would be to find the rain after you find the manure wagons.

Lookin' good Seth- what are you doing for mirrors?
    Thanks!

no manure up in my part of Colorado, or much rain as it happens... W are expecting 2-4' of snow this weekend though, despite the 60+ temps of last weekend.

I have some MotoGadget spy mirrors on order (COVID delayed). They'll go under bar outside of the grips

Years of bicycle riding

Many years of bicycle riding with minimal rear fenders taught me to make sure my motorcycles have them. Not only fenders but on the bike I ride the most fender extensions or "mud" flaps.

The happy order is to find the rain after the liquid manure. Thankfully MOST dairy farmers keep the drain valves in good working order. I can attest a good size puddle at an intersection of it can make stopping interesting. Starting as well.

Years ago, I used to rent a motorhome to go to the Daytona 500 with five friends. We would take turns and drive all night to get there. Well, I was driving the first day and noticed there wasn't anyone tailgating me. Yeah, I know slow ass in a motorhome, get out of the way, but no, no one on my butt trying to pass or hurry me up, the cars were keeping a polite distance. At the first fuel stop I found the drinking water tank was just about empty, it had cracked and was leaking pretty good. Now the drivers in the car didn't know it was just drinking water, they played it safe. Duct tape solved the problem till we got back to the rental shop. St.