• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Newbie Saying Hello

Coil location...?

Looking good, man! Nice clean work.

I'm curious where you put the coil (I'm assuming it's a dual output Dyna or similar)......

Another pic or two of the electrical set up would be cool to see.

I'm wiring a 1965 R50/2 conversion project in a similar fashion right now. As you say, the Motogadget stuff ain't cheap, but it sure is good!

ECJ

Looking good, man! Nice clean work.

I'm curious where you put the coil (I'm assuming it's a dual output Dyna or similar)......

Another pic or two of the electrical set up would be cool to see.

I'm wiring a 1965 R50/2 conversion project in a similar fashion right now. As you say, the Motogadget stuff ain't cheap, but it sure is good!

ECJ

Thanks!

Here you go. So the coil is adjacent to the m-unit, but on the other side. Now MG instructions says that there has to be a distance between coil and m-unit, but from digging deeper, the consequence of not doing this is that there can be some RF interference at certain RPMs, which ultimately may automatically switch on a turn signal or something annoying, but not serious. I fabricated the m-unit mount from pretty thick aluminum, which should shield it. If I experience any issues, I'll make another shielding plate, and ultimately if any bad issues arise, I can move one or the other

btw, the coil was part of the VAPE CDI system

bmw7.jpg

That looks like pretty clean wiring. Well done. I'm chasing a voltage draw on my 640A right now and instead of it being one component it's 2. Weird.

Looking at the air cleaner cover... needs some spiffing up now that you've got all of that shiny black paint on the adjacent engine covers! Or maybe give it the carbon fiber treatment as well? Might look neat and carry the theme further.

Agreed! That cable rub looks terrible

I want to keep that stock though... but I have a new replacement on order

Rfi

Thanks for the pic. Nice looking work. Motogadget's recommended minimum of 10cm space between coil and m-Unit definitely makes placement tough on some of these builds. I've barely got 10cm from coil body to the m-Unit under my /2 tank (but it's less if measured to the coil mounting rod...).

I'm a welder and machinist by trade, and like many, wiring is a weak point I am constantly working on. I certainly don't know much about RF interference, but have seen its effects on many occasions when TIG welding, especially with pulsed TIG operations. So, thinking of the coil in those terms (a unit producing pulsed high voltage electrical output), placing it near an m-Unit definitely gives me pause! I've heard that it's worse/more of an issue for the Bluetooth equipped versions.

I'll definitely be curious to learn if you experience any issues with this set up.

Keep us posted with the build. Definitely enjoying seeing your progress.

Thanks for documenting and sharing!

ECJ

Bits

It is interesting how you have run the brake lines for the front brake system. Are you sure it will hold up to the movement of the forks and such?

Speaking of front forks, one thing to improve handling is to use the tubular brace between the fork legs. I have one on each of my bikes, it eliminates the stamped metal brace for fender support and adds stiffening to the front suspension.

Other than that, it is cool looking. A very nice piece of craftsmanship. Have a hoot riding it. St.

LOL I took the mufflers off of my RT one time for a ride just to see how it would sound. My local parish priest gave me a bit of grief as I had passed his church during service and drowned him out. Mind you, I like a nice exhaust note but if it is loud enough to hear in my living room, it is too loud. Just a thought, don't want to start a fight. St.

I like the look of the build but that part of me says there just needs to be some sort of rear fender. I still haven't PM'd you about engine paint.

Fenders

Well, fenders are really only needed in the rain or when following a leaking liquid manure wagon, LOL. St.

It is interesting how you have run the brake lines for the front brake system. Are you sure it will hold up to the movement of the forks and such?

Speaking of front forks, one thing to improve handling is to use the tubular brace between the fork legs. I have one on each of my bikes, it eliminates the stamped metal brace for fender support and adds stiffening to the front suspension.

Other than that, it is cool looking. A very nice piece of craftsmanship. Have a hoot riding it. St.

LOL I took the mufflers off of my RT one time for a ride just to see how it would sound. My local parish priest gave me a bit of grief as I had passed his church during service and drowned him out. Mind you, I like a nice exhaust note but if it is loud enough to hear in my living room, it is too loud. Just a thought, don't want to start a fight. St.

On the brake line, I am concerned. What I'll likely do is remove the fixed point on the triple clamp and replace it with a guide, so free play just pops upwards - It's exactly like this on my KTM Enduro.

On the exhaust, I was actually surprised at how reasonable it sounded. Maybe it's because my bar is pretty high on exhaust volume, with open single cylinder dirtbike and supermoto pipes. Also from my forum name, maybe I wouldn't be too concerned about noise close to a church :p. I lived in London UK for 10 years and commuted with open piped supermotos. Loud there meant safe. No one heard or cared about a horn, but a quick blip of the throttle could get anyone's attention, like a pedestrian about to walk into the road, or a vehicle about to do something stupid!

Forks-wise, if I find the front squidgy, I'll look into the brace, Thanks for the tip!

Hey it's your build, do what you want. I was just pointing out the aesthetic that I feel looking at it. The noise from the pipes certainly don't bother m a bit. Let me know how it goes the first time you get caught out in the wet.:ha

Hey it's your build, do what you want. I was just pointing out the aesthetic that I feel looking at it. The noise from the pipes certainly don't bother m a bit. Let me know how it goes the first time you get caught out in the wet.:ha
:):):)

Where I live, rain and liquid manure wagons are common. LOL. St.
Okeydokey- Spencerport NY: officially crossed off of my list of potential retirement relocation destinations. I guess the key would be to find the rain after you find the manure wagons.:rofl

Lookin' good Seth- what are you doing for mirrors?

Okeydokey- Spencerport NY: officially crossed off of my list of potential retirement relocation destinations. I guess the key would be to find the rain after you find the manure wagons.:rofl

Lookin' good Seth- what are you doing for mirrors?

Thanks!

:) no manure up in my part of Colorado, or much rain as it happens... W are expecting 2-4' of snow this weekend though, despite the 60+ temps of last weekend.

I have some MotoGadget spy mirrors on order (COVID delayed). They'll go under bar outside of the grips

Years of bicycle riding

Many years of bicycle riding with minimal rear fenders taught me to make sure my motorcycles have them. Not only fenders but on the bike I ride the most fender extensions or "mud" flaps.

The happy order is to find the rain after the liquid manure. Thankfully MOST dairy farmers keep the drain valves in good working order. I can attest a good size puddle at an intersection of it can make stopping interesting. Starting as well.

Years ago, I used to rent a motorhome to go to the Daytona 500 with five friends. We would take turns and drive all night to get there. Well, I was driving the first day and noticed there wasn't anyone tailgating me. Yeah, I know slow ass in a motorhome, get out of the way, but no, no one on my butt trying to pass or hurry me up, the cars were keeping a polite distance. At the first fuel stop I found the drinking water tank was just about empty, it had cracked and was leaking pretty good. Now the drivers in the car didn't know it was just drinking water, they played it safe. Duct tape solved the problem till we got back to the rental shop. St.

Back