Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie Saying Hello

Hi! It's been slow going, waiting for powder coaters, waiting for painters (tank and fender). But just in time for the long weekend, I've got all parts back in now and I can start assembly! I decided to try to paint the motor myself (new to auto-paint), using Duplicolor engine paint. Its been a learning experience and I'm mostly happy with the results. The garage isn't heated though, so I had to make a temperature-controlled drying/curing box. Here are a few photo updates, most are self-explanatory... but the tail-light photo was an early prototype of the 3D-printed LED tail-light mount. While I was at it, I 3D printed a holder for some of my larger metric sockets

PXL_20201125_013915881.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20201118_205303920.jpg

PXL_20201103_192006622.jpg

PXL_20201027_234815615.jpg

PXL_20201125_013959865.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20201119_013208590.jpg

Wow. You move quick on your project!

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Got a LOT done today! Loving the long weekend!

firstlight.png

I agree about the 640A, I think it's still my favourite bike. Let us know how your engine paint works out, gives me an idea for a fix I plan to do down the road.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

What kind of prep did you do on the painted engine, especially since you didn't take it all the way apart.

Also, roughly how much does it cost to powder coat the frame?
    2004 R1150R Rockster | 1981 R100 | 2019 KLX250 | 1980 R65 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by R65_Steve View Post
    What kind of prep did you do on the painted engine, especially since you didn't take it all the way apart.

Also, roughly how much does it cost to powder coat the frame?
    The engine is still in process... for all the other parts that I did, I took them down to bare metal, mostly using Nyalox brushes, which are nylon brushes infused with an abrasive. I then cleaned with isopropanol, followed by a second clean with duplicolor prep spray, using blue paper towel, till no dirt was present anymore. Many hours spent on prep!!!! Then three coats of each "color": primer, black and then clear, per the instructions on the can, which call for two light coats, followed by a heavy coat, all with a 10 minute dry between coats. The engine I decided to try a bit differently as I was not too happy with the masking results I had on the cam covers. With those, I masked off the fins, and went through the primer and black, then de-masked and did the clear. I was not happy with the masking lines... I wanted to try something different on the engine - (paint, dry , sand paint off the fins and then clear coat afterwards). I asked Duplicolor, and they actually replied. They said it was fine to clear coat afterwards, but wait the full 7 days that is needed for the paint to cure. I actually sanded them down today and will do the final clear coats tomorrow!

I had the frame, swingarm, fork legs, fork clamps, center-stand and a hand full of smaller parts done for $400.

Quote Originally Posted by slc666 View Post
    The engine is still in process... for all the other parts that I did, I took them down to bare metal, mostly using Nyalox brushes, which are nylon brushes infused with an abrasive. I then cleaned with isopropanol, followed by a second clean with duplicolor prep spray, using blue paper towel, till no dirt was present anymore. Many hours spent on prep!!!! Then three coats of each "color": primer, black and then clear, per the instructions on the can, which call for two light coats, followed by a heavy coat, all with a 10 minute dry between coats. The engine I decided to try a bit differently as I was not too happy with the masking results I had on the cam covers. With those, I masked off the fins, and went through the primer and black, then de-masked and did the clear. I was not happy with the masking lines... I wanted to try something different on the engine - (paint, dry , sand paint off the fins and then clear coat afterwards). I asked Duplicolor, and they actually replied. They said it was fine to clear coat afterwards, but wait the full 7 days that is needed for the paint to cure. I actually sanded them down today and will do the final clear coats tomorrow!

I had the frame, swingarm, fork legs, fork clamps, center-stand and a hand full of smaller parts done for $400.

Are you sanding off the fins back to bare metal? And just the tips right?

I'm excited to see this turn out.

I was thinking of doing something similar to mine...but all black with a red powdercoated frame. The tank and fender, etc are in such nice shape, it'll either make that work easier and/or the BMW world sad.

Are you sanding off the fins back to bare metal? And just the tips right?

I'm excited to see this turn out.

I was thinking of doing something similar to mine...but all black with a red powdercoated frame. The tank and fender, etc are in such nice shape, it'll either make that work easier and/or the BMW world sad.

yeah, just the outward-facing edges of the fins. Sanding has left a much better looking outcome so far, lets see how well the clear coat adheres now!

I think red would be nice! Do it!

sneak peek

PXL_20201129_231312530.jpg

not looking too bad so far

BTW, did you scrape off the VIN sticker when you had it powder coated?

BTW, did you scrape off the VIN sticker when you had it powder coated?
    All stickers are gone now.... hope I took some photos of that :o

Ha! Motor looks nice!

Heat Disappation

I wonder if the multilayer skin of paint is gonna inhibit heat dissipation, especially on the cooling fins? I know some radiators are painted black, but with a special kind of paint, and have read precautions not to use regular paint.
    BMWMOA #24809

Quote Originally Posted by jhall View Post
    I wonder if the multilayer skin of paint is gonna inhibit heat dissipation, especially on the cooling fins? I know some radiators are painted black, but with a special kind of paint, and have read precautions not to use regular paint.
    From what I have read, a few 10-100Ám of paint make no difference to the heat dissipation. For something to actually insulate the motor/fins it would need to be much thicker and ideally not solid... like a nice fur coat :P

Quote Originally Posted by slc666 View Post

How's the project coming? I wanted to follow up on something....did you use the Nyalox on the engine parts too? I need to take my head's off, so I figured I'd get the valve covers and repaint at the same time. I'm curious if that what you used on the engine bits.