• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Newbie Saying Hello

slc666

Hi All

I just wanted to drop in and say hi!

I'm the proud owner of a "new-to-me" 1983 R80RT. I've only owned (and still do) light, single-cylinder KTM motorcycles in the past, so a 500lb monster was an exciting 1st ride home. that said, with most of the weight low down, the bike still felt incredibly agile! Looking forward to riding it once the project is complete and I'm guessing at least 100lbs will come off.

I used to own the UK KTM Forum, so I am pretty familiar with how things work on a motorcycle forum :). With that said... I bought the bike as a project bike to turn into a bobber/scrambler after watching some inspiring YouTube videos, so to the purists out there... apologies :)

As for the project, the bike is now FULLY disassembled and in various stages of prep for painting and powder-coating. There's plenty that's not going back on the bike, so if you're looking for R80/R100 parts for your project/restoration, I have most things listed on the Marketplace already, but a few more things to add there. A few bits have already sold. As I have been dismantling the bike, I have been amazed at how well this 37-year-old bike has been looked after!

Thanks and Hello!

Sethclassifieds.jpg

Welcome

Welcome to the forums and the club Seth. Your starting out with a well kept beauty... I’m looking forward to your masterpiece. Please share here, both the ongoing photos and completed project. I look forward to seeing your photos sir.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, Seth! Nice customization of the bike. Just for future reference, please limit references to items you have for sale in the Marketplace. Our goal is to keep the tech forums clean of the buying/selling/etc. postings which then could turn things into an online listing of sorts. If people are looking for Airhead parts, they should know they can look around and find them on their own.

Thanks...

His bike. His money. His choice. Note he said, "As for the project, the bike is now FULLY disassembled and in various stages of prep for painting and powder-coating." I wish him good luck.

Nice looking bike! Afraid to ask what your plans are but I guess I just did.

Yeah, me too. I have an uneasy feeling about this. It's awfully nice as is.

Nope, nope, too late!:stick I already bought his pannier mounts for my RS project and I'm not giving them back!:nyah

I'm looking forward to seeing what he does wth his project- bikes are fun, life is short!

Hi Seth! Welcome to Thunderdome!:rolleyes:ha Seriously, I hope you'll share some photos of your project along the way here on the forum. I built a cafe racer from a couple of Honda 450s back in the day- lots of fun. I think the airheads lend themselves to any of the bobber/scrambler/cafe styles.
Jim
:beer

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, Seth! Nice customization of the bike. Just for future reference, please limit references to items you have for sale in the Marketplace. Our goal is to keep the tech forums clean of the buying/selling/etc. postings which then could turn things into an online listing of sorts. If people are looking for Airhead parts, they should know they can look around and find them on their own.

Thanks...

Thanks and Message received!

Nice looking bike! Afraid to ask what your plans are but I guess I just did.

Indeed it's a Scrambler/Bobber type cross. I'll be honest, I'm drawing more than a bit of inspiration from the project I saw on the internet, as the color-scheme was just so damn appealing. For this first round, I think it will look a lot like someone else's creation, So kudos to the creativity of the inspiration project! What do they say about imitation again... :p

Where I plan to differ though is a full electronics and wiring upgrade. I'm also going to do a few carbon-fiber-skinned 3-D printed components.

PXL_20201004_013820529.jpg

Nope, nope, too late!:stick I already bought his pannier mounts for my RS project and I'm not giving them back!:nyah

I'm looking forward to seeing what he does wth his project- bikes are fun, life is short!

Hi Seth! Welcome to Thunderdome!:rolleyes:ha Seriously, I hope you'll share some photos of your project along the way here on the forum. I built a cafe racer from a couple of Honda 450s back in the day- lots of fun. I think the airheads lend themselves to any of the bobber/scrambler/cafe styles.
Jim
:beer

Thanks!

I seem to forget to take photo's most of the time. Just get too focused on the job at hand.

Here's more or less the current status: Shock tabs welded:

I'm waiting for a few parts to come in and then the lot is off to the powder coaters.

PXL_20201023_020320311.jpg

Hey Seth, welcome from Newfoundland. I have 2 KTM's and 2 Beemers plus a baby Aprillia.

Nice! a reasonably full stable... translates to: room for more. What KTMs have you got? I bought a 2020 EXC-F 500 at the beginning of the year! Love it!

Welcome to the forums and the club Seth. Your starting out with a well kept beauty... I’m looking forward to your masterpiece. Please share here, both the ongoing photos and completed project. I look forward to seeing your photos sir.

Thank you!

'06 640 Adventure, '07 525 XCW, '82 R65 LS, '99 R1100 S, '06 SR 50 for a fun little stable.

Nice! I think the LC4 ADV is the nicest KTM ADV they ever made! I mostly rode supermotos, had 640 LC4, 660SMC, 560 SMR, then Husaberg FS450 (after KTM bought them), then 690SMC... all while living in Europe. Then moved to Colorado and tried more off-roading. The R80 will be an occasional commute bike.

Hi! It's been slow going, waiting for powder coaters, waiting for painters (tank and fender). But just in time for the long weekend, I've got all parts back in now and I can start assembly! I decided to try to paint the motor myself (new to auto-paint), using Duplicolor engine paint. Its been a learning experience and I'm mostly happy with the results. The garage isn't heated though, so I had to make a temperature-controlled drying/curing box. Here are a few photo updates, most are self-explanatory... but the tail-light photo was an early prototype of the 3D-printed LED tail-light mount. While I was at it, I 3D printed a holder for some of my larger metric sockets :)

PXL_20201125_013915881.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20201118_205303920.jpg

PXL_20201103_192006622.jpg

PXL_20201027_234815615.jpg

PXL_20201125_013959865.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20201119_013208590.jpg

I agree about the 640A, I think it's still my favourite bike. Let us know how your engine paint works out, gives me an idea for a fix I plan to do down the road.

What kind of prep did you do on the painted engine, especially since you didn't take it all the way apart.

Also, roughly how much does it cost to powder coat the frame?

Back