Thread: Questions On Low Frame 650 Option

Questions On Low Frame 650 Option

My wife is considering the low frame option on the F650GS and was wondering about peg/centerstand clearance on tight cornering. Anybody bottoming out on their low frame? Also, does anybody know if the suspension travel is less on the low frame? Thanks!

They lower the bike by changing the link in the rear suspension, I believe.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KBasa
    They lower the bike by changing the link in the rear suspension, I believe.
    My wife just bought a black one, the forks are shorter and the rear shock is shorter. I can't remember if it is a full 2 inches each, but there abouts. Sitting on them one after the other, you can feel the less suspension on the lower one. The difference is that she can pedal backwards on a parking lot, whereas she can't on her K12S even with the low seat on the K12S. The 650GS is great for her around town...or even around the state(s) for that matter of course.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

My wife has a lowered 650 GSL) and she loves it. They are lowered by changing the suspension.

As for cornering she has no problem with grinding on the stands with her riding. If my friend or I ride it then we can get the big-foot plate to grind although before that was put on the stand never did grind. The lesson we have learned is that on the lowered bike it becomes more necessary to adjust the pre-load on the rear suspension to the exact rider and then there are no worries. Of course this is normal anyway although it is often overlooked on other machines in my opinion.

A great all around bike.

Quote Originally Posted by flash412
    No, the FRAME for the lowered bike is different on a factory F650GS-L model. The side and center stands are shorter, too. There are some other differences, but I don't recall them offhand. I think this is all covered in the lowered bike FAQ at http://faq.f650.com/GSFAQs/Lowering_Kit_FAQ_GS.htm. Be sure to check out what a BMW honcho posted in the section "BMW Alternatives."
    I read the FAQs and they said there is only one frame. I checked the parts fiche for April '06 and there is only one frame for the GS, GSL, and GSDAKAR. In the fiche, the shock and forks are two different parts. Standard and lower. I measured the shock and forks on a new GS and a GSL and the GSL shock and forks are shorter. So I think it's with the suspension.
    R1200GS LC Rallye

The dealer told me (for what it is worth) that there is one frame part number, and the difference is the rear shock and the length of the forks, different stands. The bike looks the same in every other way. Bottom line though to answer the earlier question is that the bike handles great, and does not have the characteristics that a bike with a changed link exhibits.

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    My wife had a F650GSL, and I would ride it on occassion. It was able to scrape stuff if I tried, but I did not have any real problems during typical riding.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Quote Originally Posted by flash412
    In that case, one needs to be specific as to the model year being considered when asking the question.
    I looked further and I'm wrong about the Dakar. BMW calls this the 650DAKAR and the 650DAKAR/M for the latest ones. The frame numbers for these bikes were one number up to 08/01 and another number starting in 09/01 which is obsolete now. The frames for the latest 650DAKAR/M bikes has a different frame number...that would be the '04 thru '06. There are no parts for lowered bikes of course for the DAKARs and these DAKAR frame numbers are different from the 650GS and 650GS/M series. There is some mention of ABS for the different frame numbers for the different year groups.
    On the 650GS and the 650GS/M there is a similar progression of frame numbers going from '00 to 08/01 GS and with 09/01 on thru the '06GS/M.
    But the thing is that there are no differences in the frame numbers for the lowered bikes in any year. Only differences in the shock, forks, and the stands.
    R1200GS LC Rallye

Loading the Bike
    Western Massachusetts in the Ct. River Valley near the Berkshire hils, Ct., N.Y. and Vt.

Wanna go low?

I bought a red 2002 f650gsl with ABS and heated grips.
    It is in perfect condition with less than 3k miles on it now.
    I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam.
    The bike is low for me. I flat foot with knees bent.
    I've scraped a bit on low , tight curves.
    The cost to change it is considerable. The link, suspension, stands and seat are all different.

Shorter riders often want to lower their standard f650gs.
    I am the only one who wants to raise mine.
    I would swap if you have an excellent gs.
    We're a club, not a country and not a country club. Reddog