• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hummer EV

AKsuited

"Mine's bigger than yours" goes electric:

<iframe width="994" height="559" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PALZQY6HJ14" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Way over the top for most people, but this may serve as a gateway vehicle for promoting full EV.

Harry

After looking at the corporate videos for the thing I'd say that it's a pretty impressive vehicle, but it's expensive, at least for my budget. I went to their "reserve yours" site and the "Base" model is $74k and the top-o-the-line that they show in the vid is $114k. Too rich for my budget for sure. AND who in their right mind would spend that much cash on a vehicle and then actually use it as a (way) backwoods rock crawler as shown???

AND who in their right mind would spend that much cash on a vehicle and then actually use it as a (way) backwoods rock crawler as shown???
Most likely the people that would buy a Land Rover.
OM

After looking at the corporate videos for the thing I'd say that it's a pretty impressive vehicle, but it's expensive, at least for my budget. I went to their "reserve yours" site and the "Base" model is $74k and the top-o-the-line that they show in the vid is $114k. Too rich for my budget for sure. AND who in their right mind would spend that much cash on a vehicle and then actually use it as a (way) backwoods rock crawler as shown???

Yes, but with that open bed, you can get a 1/2 ton load of 2B Limestone and, later, some pea gravel for that patio redo.

Didn't Honda have something like that in a car?

The Acura division had it in one of their sports models, a compact job that had very direct and responsive steering. Friends of mine owned one and quite liked the way it drove.

Best,
DeVern

Last edited:
Most likely the people that would buy a Land Rover.
OM

I suppose, and there are some Rover buyers that are buying the image, but I suspect that by far more Land Rovers at any price will actually work for a living than the new Hummer EVs will.

I think an all electric vehicle should be applauded, not ridiculed actually. Yes it is expensive. Yes it is audacious. So were the first internal combustion engine equipped vehicles back two turns of the century ago. The times they are a changing, for sure. Hang on. It is going to be a wild ride.

I think an all electric vehicle should be applauded, not ridiculed actually. Yes it is expensive. Yes it is audacious. So were the first internal combustion engine equipped vehicles back two turns of the century ago. The times they are a changing, for sure. Hang on. It is going to be a wild ride.

Applauded, certainly, and no ridicule intended by me. I love new technology and am very aware that as time goes by the technology will get better and better. For now, though, some people seem to forget that the electricity needed to charge those EVs has to come from somewhere, it doesn't just magically come out of an outlet in the wall. Most of the world's electricity is provided by burning coal, oil, or gas. Solar and wind are great ideas but. not "there" yet and hydro is fantastic but not available everywhere. For the commuter the EV may be great but for someone like me who pulls a 5th wheel trailer south every fall and north every spring it's going to be a very long time, if ever, before an EV is up to handling that task. Power-wise, sure a properly configured EV could handle the task, but how much of my time would be spent driving and how much re-charging? (And no, I'm not trying to get political or pro- or anti- environmental). If I were still a commuter I'd be looking at the EVs and hybrids pretty closely, I'm not stuck on burning dead dinosaurs forever!

Certainly not a Tesla Cybertruck...

Elon Musk's entry Cybertruck starts at $39.9K. The top of the line goes for $69.9K, or at least that's what some very minor Google searching came up with.

EV's are interesting, for sure.

The Hummer EV will be on my list when I win the lottery. Yep, I'll get one then.:dance

36654 called it right- Honda had it first in the Prelude and called it AWS—All Wheel Steering.

GM introduced “Quadrasteer” in pickup trucks in 2002 but it wasn’t popular. Acura called it P-AWS (Precision All Wheel Steering) when they introduced their 2014 lineup. There’s a slew of manufacturers offering some k8nd of all-wheel steering now, including Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Lamborghini, and Cadillac.

Let’s hope none of them transfer to MC engineering and try to bring us another Joan Claybrook Special.

DeVern

Electric truck

I think they're getting there. The price will come down eventually. Based on what I see, and ONLY what I see on the video, it's come a long way. Not quite ready to trade in my diesel for towing the camper yet, but they are getting oh so close. The torque and horsepower numbers are really impressive, I am looking forward to that, electric is the way to go. Don't know what the weight is, the tail wagging the dog isn't such a nice feeling.

Jerry

I think they're getting there. The price will come down eventually. Based on what I see, and ONLY what I see on the video, it's come a long way. Not quite ready to trade in my diesel for towing the camper yet, but they are getting oh so close. The torque and horsepower numbers are really impressive, I am looking forward to that, electric is the way to go. Don't know what the weight is, the tail wagging the dog isn't such a nice feeling.

Jerry

Down here in southwest Texas there could be a big market for electric 3/4 ton work trucks. Several but not too many miles a day, on the ranches. They need to be nice but not fancy at a price that competes with the Ford F250 or Chevrolet 2500 work trucks. Plug them in back at the headquarters or the line camp when the day's work is done. And they will be ready to go in the morning. I suspect this is true for a lot of ranch and farming country and for many other applications where the hauling ability is needed but the daily miles are minimal like say, for example, the typical local construction, plumbing, electrician, or HVAC business in an urban area.

Back