• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Centerstand "whatzitfor?" 2002 R1150RS question

landev

Before I cut this thing off... I'm curious about what it's for and potential remorse over removing the damned thing.

I initially thought it might be used as some sort of hex socket, but closer examination (and trying to insert a hex key) led to me abandoning that line of though. Perhaps a bead breaker? That seems an awful lot of complexity for that.

I'm talking about this:

20201021_165741.jpg

Why mess with it? I've found that it interferes with the wheels on my center stand trolley and I can'
t maneuver the RS without it interfering.

More of a curiosity question than anything...

Thanks in advance!

-l-

Not sure on your bike. On others, it is what stops the stand from riding higher that it is supposed to- when not in use.
OM

One of the Moderators will move this to the Oilhead section later.
Good luck.

Well, according to the parts fiche and several eBay photos, it appears that there should be a rubber bumper attached to that "stem." My guess is that it prevents the center stand from rattling or coming close to something it isn't suppose to (catalytic converter or muffler).

Well, according to the parts fiche and several eBay photos, it appears that there should be a rubber bumper attached to that "stem." My guess is that it prevents the center stand from rattling or coming close to something it isn't suppose to (catalytic converter or muffler).

That is correct. The rubber bumper has fallen out. It rests against the muffler when the stand retracts, and prevents the stand from smashing into the muffler.
That piece is also where you place your foot to raise the bike on the stand. If it is cut off, I am not sure it will be possible to get the bike up on the stand.

Ahhh....

Thanks for the replies, all. I will do a bit of crawling about to see where the bit comes to rest when the center stand is retracted. I typically always put my bikes on their center stands (old habit from having K bikes), so have never really taken a close look when the bike is on it's side stand.

It doesn't seem to come into play in getting the bike situated on the stand but a bumper function intuitively makes sense.

Always learning, eh?

Thanks all for your help!

-l-

Back