• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear lug bolts for alloy rim

trevward

I just bought an cast alloy rear rim for my 08 GSA. My intention is to mount a Metzler Tourance (got one for $130!) for daily commutes on the alloy rim and have my stock spoke rim for a knobby tire. I attempted to put the alloy rim on and see that the stock bolts are too long. Has anybody had this happen, if so, what is the fix?

I just bought an cast alloy rear rim for my 08 GSA. My intention is to mount a Metzler Tourance (got one for $130!) for daily commutes on the alloy rim and have my stock spoke rim for a knobby tire. I attempted to put the alloy rim on and see that the stock bolts are too long. Has anybody had this happen, if so, what is the fix?

Shorter bolts. Both wheels take M10 x 1.25 bolts (size and thread pitch).

But they take different lengths.

Spoke Wheel: Uses 53 mm length bolts

Cast Wheel: Uses 40 mm bolts.

You need five (5) 40mm bolts, Part # 36 3 17 673 903

Shorter bolts. Both wheels take M10 x 1.25 bolts (size and thread pitch).

But they take different lengths.

Spoke Wheel: Uses 53 mm length bolts

Cast Wheel: Uses 40 mm bolts.

You need five (5) 40mm bolts, Part # 36 3 17 673 903

Thanks for your reply. I found this after I posted the first posting. You wouldn't happen to have 5 of the 40 mm lying around do you? ;-)

Thanks for your reply. I found this after I posted the first posting. You wouldn't happen to have 5 of the 40 mm lying around do you? ;-)

No. But I do have two different wheels for an R1100RS. The 18 inch wheel and 17 inch wheel have bolts 5mm different in length. Which is why I looked up what the differences might be on your bike.

Some years ago a group of riders from NYC came down here for an offroad weekend. One guy had a set of spoked wheels w/knobbies installed for the trip and the garage guy used the alloy-length bolts. He survived I-81, battling trucks at 80 MPH for several hours, and the wheel fell off at walking speed up on the Blue Ridge. I think he didn't even fall over. There were only maybe three threads engaging on each bolt! I found him a full set of longer bolts for the trip home.

Back