• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2009 K1300GT - Safety Recall - 20V-471: Fuel Pump

swentac74

I recently received a safety recall notification from BMW which reads in part:
..."BMW AG has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain Model year 2005-2011 BMW R1200, K1200/1300/1600, S1000RR and HP2 motorcycles. Our records indicate that you are the owner of a potentially affected motorcycle."
..."We are informing you of a safety recall on your motorcycle although we are not able to perform the remedy at this time. We will notify you with a follow-up letter as soon as the remedy is available."
..." Motorcycles which had the fuel pump repaired (but not replaced) during safety recall 13V-617 with a support ring attached to the fuel pump flange could, over time, experience a fuel leak. A fuel leak, in the presence of an ignition source, could lead to a fire."
Reference: www.bmwmotorcycles.com/recall

Well, I don't know if my MC had the recall 13V-617 performed, as I am not the original owner. I don't smell any fuel, so I guess I'm OK until I can have this checked out after the remedy is available.
FYI...

As expected, my letter arrived yesterday. Same story, no fix yet but they'll let me know when there is and don't ride it if there's fuel leaking. Not that the bike will be leaving the warm garage anyway until probably April. :laugh

My wife received the recall for the 2011 K1300S she used to own.
I have not received the recall for the one I owned.
Both biked had the earlier recall done where they pressed a metal sleeve over the fuel pump flange.

All connected through the clickable link (in bold) in Kurt’s signature line.
OM

2009 K1300GT. USA. I received another letter yesterday stating that the recall fix is now available and to contact my nearest BMW Motorrad dealer for an appointment. Uh yeah BMW, the nearest dealer is 150 miles away and it's pretty cold outside. It will have to wait for a while.

My recall sheet says Recall Campaign. No. 20V-471: Fuel Pump. I just bought it about a year ago and i guess they traced it through DMV records because i have not had any communications with a BMW Motorrad dealer since i bought it. I bought it in Louisiana, did the paperwork with LA and carried it back to Mississippi so it would have been in both states records.

I received the recall notice earlier this year. Mine had already had one recall done on the fuel pump so i'm not too worried about it. Currently the local BMW dealer has the fuel pumps on backorder with several bikes in the shop waiting on them for quite a while. Not a good situation if you had a fuel pump that went out. What's the point of issuing the recalls if you can't provide the parts to fix it?

What's the point of issuing the recalls if you can't provide the parts to fix it?

Advance notice so a person can get their bike in the queue. When we got the notice on brake calipers on G310 bikes we got 2 notices. The first described the problem and said "remedy unavailable." The second told us what to do when replacement calipers became available. Meanwhile, between the notices I talked to our dealer to find out what was involved and how long the actual work would take.

I received the recall notice earlier this year. Mine had already had one recall done on the fuel pump so i'm not too worried about it. ?

If you only got the band aid fix of the metal ring on the first recall I would check with your dealer now and then to see if they have the new parts on hand.

The dealer said to wait about a month and check again to see if the fuel pumps were still on backorder. I'll have to check later this week.

Back