• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gear lever lengthening

hive1969

I have adjusted the height of the foot lever, added an Illum gear selector extender, but I think it needs to be further away from the foot peg. I have not seen an after market adjustable gear lever selector for an RT.

Can anyone suggest an option?

Kevin

Kevin,

I had a similar issue on an '07 R1200R. No adjustable-for-length shift lever was then available for the R, but the splined connector at the shift lever's base was the same on the Hexhead GS machines. I bought a GS lever, cut off the new lever's front end, and created my own. It's delightful to have the shift lever tab (the part your foot moves up and down) be in exactly the right place.

Perhaps the same strategy would work for you. Wunderlich lists a variable-length shift lever for the GS models here: https://www.wunderlichamerica.com/adjustable-gear-lever.html

If you're interested in pursuing this, let me know and I'll take some pictures of my setup and add them to the thread.

Last edited:
Kevin,

I had a similar issue on an '07 R1200R. No adjustable-for-length shift lever was then available for the R, but the splined connector at the shift lever's base was the same on the Hexhead GS machines. I bought a GS lever, cut off the new lever's front end, and created my own. It's delightful to have the shift lever tab (the part your foot moves up and down) be in exactly the right place.

Perhaps the same strategy would work for you. Wunderlich lists a variable-length shift lever for the GS models here: https://www.wunderlichamerica.com/adjustable-gear-lever.html

If you're interested in pursuing this, let me know and I'll take some pictures of my setup and add them to the thread.

dBrick, that is exactly what I am looking for until I saw �� the price $200 is just prostitution.

Please send me some photos of your setup!

Short run machine work is always more money than high volume machine work. You could test this by taking the Wunderlich specifications to your local machine shop and ask for a quote.
OM

You could take the stock lever to a welding shop, have them cut it in two, and weld in a filler piece. It will still be $100 or more, unless you know someone that works for beer.

Kevin,

I apologize for the delay.

The shift lever details on my Hexhead R are different from your Wethead, but perhaps the analysis and solutions on my bike may have some application for you.

The stock shift lever from my 2007 R1200R is cast aluminum. The stock footpeg position was too high for me; the Suburban Machinery foot peg relocation kit moved the footpegs down and back. After installing the relocation kit, the footpegs were great, my legs and knees were happy.

But moving the footpegs changed the left peg's relationship to the shift lever tab, the part of the lever that sicks out, that the rider moves with the toe of their left boot. The stock shift lever made for clumsy and uncomfortable shifts, and I wanted the shift lever tab in a different place:

• The tab was too far forward, hitting my boot too close to the toe
  • The tab was too high, so I had to lift my toes too much to shift
  • The tab was too close to the centerline of the bike, both interefering with the stored sidestand on downshifts, and making me twist my foot inward to shift

I considered having a local shop cut and re-make the stock lever. Changes would have been guessed-at — getting any one of the dimensions/movements wrong would require having the lever cut and manipulated again. I doubted that I could get it right on the third or fourth try, much less the first.

Touratech sells an adjustable-length shift lever for the GS of that time, with a spined shaft mount of the same dimension as that on my R:

01-044-0432-01.jpg

Or you could find a used brake pedal from a Hexhead (from Beemer Boneyard, or similar) that'd give you the female spline piece with which you could build the tab and position you want. Or you could begin with a new one from the BMW parts fiche.

The one I bought is adjustable for length, so the first issue was easy to address. I discarded the tab end, finding that the tab's folding quality made upshifts inconsistent.

The second and third issues were harder: rotating the shift lever on its spline so the tab was lower caused the tab to interfere with the undeployed sidestand on downshifts. Moving the tab outward, however, would solve this, and allow the tab to be lowered sufficiently. In addition, I wouldn't have to twist my foot inward, increasing my comfort.

I shorted the spline end of the new shift lever, and added some homebrew bits for a new shift tab and movement to the place I wanted. Here's what I ended up with:

IMG_5388.jpg

The cylindrical spacer between the two shift lever pieces is a piece of aluminum intended for use in swaging the ends of wire cable. The spacer moves the shift lever short link outboard, so on downshifts the shift lever assembly just misses the stored sidestand.

The new shift tab is 2½ of these same pieces (2 was too short, and 3 was too long). I found them in the miscellaneous hardware aisle at the local Ace Hardware. My friend with a metalworking lathe chamfered the end of the end piece, and slightly countersunk the end, so the bolt head would be recessed. The light-colored disks behind the shift lever mounting boss are nylon wshers, also found at Ace. The new shift lever boss was thinner than the stock one; the washers act as spacers and fill the space between the shift lever boss and the frame tab through which the shift shaft protrudes.

The tab is now in exactly the right position for my foot, just touching the right side of my left boot at the middle (height-wise) of my big toe, ready for an easy foot movement up or down. Not to put too fine a point on it: it's perfect. Shifting improved immediately. Ride comfort did too. It's been on the bike now for more than ten years.

Last edited:
To bump this back up to the top so folks see it: I just updated the post, as I was wrong about Wunderlich - the part came from Touratech and is still available.

Back