• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

1997 R1200C Refurbishment.

It lives!

Installed the HES, new belt, exhaust, fit the pump and filler in the tank, added gas, reattached all the connections, and it started right up.

Mike will be here Sunday to finish all the little stuff. Then go for a ride!

Mike and I spent Sunday assembling and finishing all the details. There were a few issues. The fuel injector on the left side wasn't getting power, loose connector, and the right spark plug wire had a crack, so a short. Temp fix using self vulcanizing rubber tape, and it is purring. Fun stuff, adding the chrome racks and luggage, and Mike did a great job pin stripping the tank. Looks great!

Took a quick ride to test it, ran great!

Today we took a nice ride out to some back roads as a shake down/ Ran and rode great. About80 miles is all, but great day.

Then back home and load it up on the trailer:

Oh, and:

I think Mike's bike has a virus!

Thanks guys! Mike and I had a good time fixing it up, and he loves it.

From Mike:
So, ride report: I guess all I can really say is that this bike totally exceeded all expectations I had for it. For people that hate these bikes because they think they're ugly, well, I can understand that, even though I think they look great. For those that think they're underpowered, well, they don't snap your neck, but it's more than fast enough for me. For those that complain about ergonomics or handling, they've clearly never ridden one. Once in the saddle, it feels light as a feather. Comfy as hell. And I know many people are going to think I'm nuts, but the handling is telepathic. I also own a 2006 Multistrada 620 and a 2008 Buell STT, and this BMW turns easier and holds a line better than both of them. And it leans like crazy. I'm absolutely in love with this thing.

I need to detail it. There are some parts that haven't been touched, and others that we cleaned that are now greasy from assembly. I have a few other things I want to do such as new grips, etc., but I can do those myself and now it's not cluttering Jim's shop.

BTW, the tank and side panels are a wrap, not paint. Figured I'd do something different. It's actually about the same color that was on there originally. I'm planning to extend the wrap into the air intakes. Jim and I liked the wrap so much we're considering doing the rear fender in a two tone orange and silver, and the front fender in silver. Anyway, more details tomorrow. Tired and happy now!

and:
A few more detail. Hard to remember everything we did. . .

These bikes lean over way too far on the sidestand, so we cut down a hockey puck and mounted it to the bottom of the stand. Better. Put everything back together, had some trouble routing the fuel lines with the new quick disconnects. Can't think of much else at the moment. . .

Still needs to be cleaned and detailed. Planning to get nice Kuryakyn iso grips, a windscreen for winter, and maybe some better footpegs. As I said in a previous post, extend the wrap into the air vents. Also need to remove a few pieces, particularly the gauge surround, and repaint them. Also might paint the clutch and front brake reservoir covers black to match the reservoirs. Need to remove the goofy-ass reflective tape on the saddlebags. Farther into the future I'd like to remove the passenger grab rail and rear turn signals to clean up that area. Would probably get one of those license plate frames with built-in LED turn signals.

Right now, just excited to ride it. I've always wanted one, and it's so much nicer to ride than I thought it would be. I guess the Multistrada and Buell will be going on the market soon or in the spring.

BMW really seems to know how to make a bike turn. A while back, when I had an R1100RT and @JimVonBaden had a GS, we switched bikes on some twisties around the Blue Ridge Parkway. I remember how it seemed like you just had to THINK about where you wanted to turn, and it went there. Seemed like I didn't even move the bars. This R1200C is just like that. Maybe it's the wide bars providing all the leverage? Anyway, surprisingly great around turns. Wonderful to be able to stand up off the bike at a stop and still be flatfoot! Comfy seat. Took a while to know where to put my feet. . . I'd like to rig up some sort of rearset pegs to rest my feet while on the highway. Nice engine that doesn't mind you just lugging it along. At this stage of my riding life I wanted something where I could just sit back, relax, and watch the world, but still lean over and fly through the twisties when I get to those roads. This thing is perfect for that.

Sorry for the novel!

If you have facebook, this is a video of it in Fountainhead Park.
https://fb.watch/1ZjojCslRA/

Back