• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2011 RT vs. 2012 RT differences?

srmRT

I have a 2011 RT and thought the 2010-2013 RT's were the same. I have seen pictures of what are indicated to be 2012 RT's and they appear to have the "Wonder Wheel" (?) controller on the left handlebar and some other control buttons down on the lower left hand fairing panel. Is this correct, and if so, are there any other differences in the two model years?

My 2011 does not have the Wonder Wheel or the buttons down on the left fairing, and I think it has the Premium Package equipment, e.g ESA, heated seats/grips, cruise, RDC (TPMS), on-board computer, chrome exhaust, no ASC or radio set-up.

I ask because I saw a 2012 RT advertised that I am interested in and thought it would be just like my 2011, disregarding differences in any optional equipment on either bike.

Any clarification will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If your '11 doesn't have a radio, you won't have the radio control buttons on left side, nor doubt the Wonder Wheel.

Thanks Motodan and Pappy,

I spoke with the owner of the 2012 today and it does have the radio package, thus the difference in the controls as you both point out. Other than that, I imagine the bikes are the same. Thanks for the information. :)

My 2010 RT has the wonderwheel as well as the radio package. When making a decision, be aware that the wonderwheel on some of the earlier RT's has very limited function, being that of controlling radio and related functions. The wonderwheel does not work with BMW NAV units or other functions on the dash. More recent models have many more uses for the wheel. I'm not sure if the function of the wheel was enhanced after 2010 or wasn't until 2014 LC versions but I find very limited use of the radio on my RT so the wonderwheel is virtually never used. BMW did make upgrades later that made this control much more useful.

Thanks for the info bicyclenut,

A radio is not important to me, and I just wondered why the controls on the 2012 were different, while thinking the bikes were the same. Now I know that the difference I saw is because of the radio package, and that the mechanics of the bikes are the same.

Thanks again for the feedback. :)

The only difference I know of with the camhead generation (10-13) are with the 2013s.

The 10-12s also come with what I call the "jiggly" brake and clutch fluid reservoirs that can start to leak with age. The 2013 has fixed reservoirs that don't jiggle around (the older ones can be replaced with 2013 versions if they do start leaking).

As for the wonderwheel, I have it and the stereo package, but I hardly use it as I prefer my bluetooth speakers in my helmet.

Last edited:
Those "jiggly" clutch and brake reservoirs are a little disconcerting, sort of like a leak looking for a place to happen...:)

Not certain whether it applies to “jiggly” or not, but the brake bleeding procedure was changed in this timeframe.

Early models have a bleeder screw at the handlebar reservoir, later ones don’t.

Back