• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Who has the most miles on a 1250 engine?

I know of two riders who have had their 1250 GSA engines replaced.

I met one this past Saturday on a ride. Took his bike in to get the oil changed at 12000 miles and they found 1/8” of metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug. They could not locate the problem but he told me the bike was making a huge banging sound at higher revs.

Dealer went back and forth talking to BMW and finally agreed to replace the motor. He was without the bike for two months.

The second instance very similar and almost identical. Metal shavings and no clue where they came from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had my 1250RT since Nov 2018. The only issue so far with the bike was with the electronic gas cap. First one failed and was replaced under warranty. No issues with the second cap.

I recently completed my first 12k service on the bike which has just under 13k miles now. Why only 13k? COVID. Two cancelled long trips and no commuting as I am work from home now.

I've done two oil changes and have not seen anything metallic on the drain plug. I did the rear drive during the 12k. The oil was slightly dirty with some slight metallic residue on the drain plug. I expect it will be cleaner when I change it 24k. The oil level was exactly the same at 12k as it was at 6k so no oil consumption at all.

All the valves were in spec with no unusual wear on the cam lobes. Spark plugs looked very clean. Coolant level in the reservoir remained the same between 6k and 12k.

The brake fluid for both the front and rear came out very clean. You are supposed to do the brake fluid after one year initially then every two after, but mine was in almost two years. Was very happy to see it so clean. Front Hayes brakes continue to be bone dry. No issues with the rear brake.

Overall, this 1250RT requires less maintenance than my 2005 1200RT did and it's easier to do.

The only unusual thing I have had to do is re-calibrate the throttle a couple of times. Why? The bike became a little hard to start. Hit the starter the first time and it took a lot of cranks to start. If I stopped before starting, the bike would fire up immediately after the second attempt. The first time this happened was after I had disconnected the battery. The second time was right after I did the 12k. I did not disconnect the battery, but had removed the coils to access the spark plugs. Very strange. Reset procedure worked like a charm. Here's my previous thread on the issue:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?95745-2019-R1250-RT-Hard-starting

The most expensive part of my 1250RT so far? Tires, gas and insurance. After almost two years of ownership I still love this bike :D

I currently have just over 17,000 miles on my 2019 12509RT. The motor and transmission have met or exceeded my expectations.

Had the 12K service done at the dealer and there were no issues noted. Valves were all within spec.
The only issue I've had was leaking front calipers. The dealer resolved the caliper issue and they have not leaked since.

14,800 on my 2020 GSA low. No issues. If my experience with my 2016 GSA is any indication, I will never have to adjust the valves on this bike (although I'll continue to measure them, but not necessarily at 12K intervals after the warranty runs out!). I put 150K on that one, and they hadn't changed from the first service. So far this year I missed my annual East-Coast-to-Alaska trip, I don't see one happening next year, and probably not in 2022 either. After that I'll be 70 and am not sure I'll still be up for big annual miles.

17,300+ miles on 2020 R1250R. Needed a replacement twist throttle and a new low beam headlight. Josh

12,000 miles here on 2019 R1250RT. Valves didn't need adjusting and brakes have never leaked. Only problem was a "notchy" twist throttle that was replaced.

....could some do and some don't have to do with where they put them together...does BMW manufactures elsewhere?

....could some do and some don't have to do with where they put them together...does BMW manufactures elsewhere?

The leaky brakes are made by Hayes, a US based company, not BMW. The actual location of manufacture I don't know but would bet on somewhere in Asia.

At least 17,000 miles on my RT. Headlamp bulb change at 15,000. The exhaust flapper valve started rubbing and making a squeaky noise on start-up, which began before 6,000 miles. Techs keep greasing it, but the sound returns not too long after. As far as I know, nothing to worry about, yet. No other mechanical issues. Hayes calipers were inspected (per TSB) during 12k service with nothing found.

Back