Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Harmonic Vibration

Quote Originally Posted by motormike View Post
    I found this on the internet:

"ALL BMW 2 cylinder boxers vibrate at 3500-4500 RPM's that is an issue you just can't balance out. Some are worse that others & some riders are more sensitive than others."

And this:

My '00 GS has had a cyclic vibration in 4th (only) at 63 km/h for the first 78,000kms of her life so far.

The blokes who perform the major services on the bike reckon it's not abnormal.

And this:
    Depending on the bike's tune, and the individual's sensitivity, ALL boxers have an amount of vibration between 3800 and 4500 RPM. It varies by bike, but almost universally falls in that range.
    This is a function of the design, and has been for as long as boxer twins have existed.

This guy's really pissed! Other than the cuss words, it's not really even English: https://advrider.com/f/threads/****i...bration.21819/

...and that was the reason why I traded my 2015 RT for a GT half way to NY from San Diego. It was vibrating my arses off of me on the desert roads doing 80-90 (which is somewhere around that rpm)....only to get stuck on the road with a 2015 GT BMW quirk....and them's the reason why I am on a 2019 Goldwing now.

I wanna get a 1250; but the prevailing engine noise being frequently reported is keeping me away from my would be then, 5th RT.
    "...whether is clear to you or not, the universe is unfolding as it should"

Went out on the bike today, after a service. Did the work myself, and checked the valve timing using the BMW tool. Was actually hoping the valve timing would be off in an effort to smooth out the engine, but it was absolutely spot-on. The numbers I mentioned earlier were off a little. The vibration is worst in 4th gear around 3500 to 3600 rpm, equal to 40-45 mph on the GPS. Pretty miserable motoring through a town at those speeds. I can feel it in the bars, pegs, seat, just about everywhere. Ruins what would otherwise be a fine motorcycle. Pity there seems to be no way to tune it out.

This come from the BMW R1200r forum: https://www.r1200rforum.com/threads/...bration.20881/

The poster compares it to a twin-engine propeller plane with the props out of sync. I realize that won't mean much to someone that's not a multiengine pilot, but the analogy is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by motormike View Post
    The numbers I mentioned earlier were off a little. The vibration is worst in 4th gear around 3500 to 3600 rpm, equal to 40-45 mph on the GPS. Pretty miserable motoring through a town at those speeds.
    Shift down and enjoy the ride. Once you identify the buzzy spots, avoid them.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

@40-45 if just cruising along, you could shift either up or down and avoid that range.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Shift down and enjoy the ride. Once you identify the buzzy spots, avoid them.
    that's what BMW loves: consumer complacency

Quote Originally Posted by Wethead View Post
    that's what BMW loves: consumer complacency
    It's not much different than any other bike I've ridden. All the bikes I've ridden have a "buzzy spot", some are just in areas that are less likely to be in an area that might be used as much.

Quote Originally Posted by r0ckrat View Post
    It's not much different than any other bike I've ridden. All the bikes I've ridden have a "buzzy spot", some are just in areas that are less likely to be in an area that might be used as much.
    K16 don't, neither do Wings; I would guess that engineers could balance a boxer to be as smooth as a K16 but it might not be worth the money to them.

I had a C14 Kawi and an FJR which has a major high pitch buzz on the throttle...unbearable, I had to get rid of both.

The 2016 RT vibrated too much on the hwy (for me) to cross country.

Quote Originally Posted by Wethead View Post
    K16 don't, neither do Wings; I would guess that engineers could balance a boxer to be as smooth as a K16 but it might not be worth the money to them.

I had a C14 Kawi and an FJR which has a major high pitch buzz on the throttle...unbearable, I had to get rid of both.

The 2016 RT vibrated too much on the hwy (for me) to cross country.
    I've never ridden a 6 cyl. engined moto. But my understanding is that 6 cyl. motors, whether inline or v (designed as six, not v8 with two removed), are the smoothest of all (except 10 or 12.)

Having 6 moving pistons makes it much easier to balance - even 4 is much easier than 2.

Quote Originally Posted by r0ckrat View Post
    I've never ridden a 6 cyl. engined moto. But my understanding is that 6 cyl. motors, whether inline or v (designed as six, not v8 with two removed), are the smoothest of all (except 10 or 12.)

Having 6 moving pistons makes it much easier to balance - even 4 is much easier than 2.
    I don't know Rock, I thing the engineering savvy to make the boxer a smooth as silk on the hwy doing 90 is feasible...whether or not the marketeer would buy into the expense of creating such might be the reason why they are not smooth.