• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GPS Problems again!

Last week my Nav VI started doing uncomanded things, even after several reboots and have not used it since! A few minites ago a friend dropped by and his Nav VI is doing the same thing! We both had them replaced under warranty about the same time last year for doing the same thing! Doubt it is too cold- +12deg C last week and + 8 deg C now! Anyone else with problems!:ca

I am on my 5th Nav VI GPS. All of them have had the "phantom touches" problem. The last one was replaced earlier this spring. I'm hoping this one is the charm. I've been told by support that they had trouble in the manufacturing process that lead to poor quality control in the touchscreen. Evidently that was fixed sometime last year. Their tech support is very good, though, and got the unit out right away.

After the third bout of "ghost touch" I sold the Nav VI and am back to using my bulletproof Nav V (glad I didn't sell it!).

Yes the Nav VI screen has much better sunlight visibility but for me the potential of having a completely unusable unit when I'm a thousand miles from home outweighs the inconvenience of having to shade the screen to see it sometimes - YMMV.

One thing positive about this issue is that Garmin is sending out replacement units. And this has the additional benefit of giving you a fresh battery in the GPS. My Nav6 has been trouble-free for 18 months, but the battery is getting weak. I started looking for a cheap replacement battery and found that they don't exist. Buying a replacement through BMW is very expensive: about $150! I found one for sale on eBay from Gateway BMW in St. Louis discounted to "only" $75.

The Nav6 comes with a 5-year warranty from Garmin. I am half-way hoping that my Nav6 develops the ghost-touch problem so that I can send it in for replacement, and also get a new battery in the process.

Cap

One thing positive about this issue is that Garmin is sending out replacement units. And this has the additional benefit of giving you a fresh battery in the GPS. My Nav6 has been trouble-free for 18 months, but the battery is getting weak. I started looking for a cheap replacement battery and found that they don't exist. Buying a replacement through BMW is very expensive: about $150! I found one for sale on eBay from Gateway BMW in St. Louis discounted to "only" $75.

The Nav6 comes with a 5-year warranty from Garmin. I am half-way hoping that my Nav6 develops the ghost-touch problem so that I can send it in for replacement, and also get a new battery in the process.

Cap

Does the VI take a different battery than the V?

I called Garmin this year and asked if they would give us new batteries for our Nav V units and they did, free of charge.
Seems like the packing slip showed a retail price of $20 or $25 each.

Back