• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Question for those riding an r1200rs

brownie0486

I might be looking for a more comfortable seat than the sport seat for my 2016 r1200rs.

Recommendations?

While we're at it, anyone using a handlebar bag on theirs? Which one?

TIA

Depending on your location, one of the major seat-builders like Rich's Custom Seats in north-western WA would be the MOST comfortable. Places like that build the seat for YOU... You can try the various stock seats for both the RS and R, they are interchangeable (I think the R "tall" seat is the same as the RS "regular", although the RS might be the R "sport" seat.)

If you are close to Los Angeles CA, I have a 2016 R with a regular seat and would love to try the sport... A trip up Hwy 39?

There is also "Great Day To Ride" seats, I think by a guy named Russell? <edit> "Russell Day Long"

Some people really like Corbin, some really like Sargent, too.

I have an ‘18 RS with the sport seat, which I think is the highest seat. It really cuts into my thighs about 100 miles into a ride. I’ve had Sargent seats on a couple other bikes and really found them to be comfortable and are getting a bit pricey. I like Corbin, for less money and you can pretty much customize the color and stitching. Corbins start out hard but conform nicely after some miles.

I got my RS with the 2nd highest (not the sport) seat as it was the widest of those available.

I now have over 40 K miles on my RS and am happy with that seat ... a few 600 mile days and many 300. this was a real surprise to me!

I've had GSs and RT in the past and always had to go to an after market seat.

FWIW I found the Sargent seats served me best. Firm, flat so you can slide back and forth bit and do not tilt you into the tank.

But remember every Butt is different.

enjoy your RS

Sargent has a 1'' taller seat for the RS/

SS

The Sargent tall seat is nominally the same height as the RS standard / R tall seat. The Sargent standard seat is nominally the same height as the RS low / R standard seat.

As indicated, the RS standard seat is the R tall seat and I belive most dealers will allow the purchaser to swap seats (at the time of purchase) for no charge.

Then, to add to the confusion, there's the optional (added cost) Sport seat (the tallest with crowned profile) and an ultra low model for riders that need something lower than the R standard seat.

Thanks all for the replies,

I rode 180 miles yesterday in 3 hours with my moto-skivees padded underwear. I wasn't uncomfortable on the seat, no hot spots at that mileage.

As a side not, the seat on the bike now measures 11" across it's widest width where the rear seat meets it. If someone could measure their's and which seat it is in the lineup, it might help if I do need to decide.

Thanks all for the replies,

I rode 180 miles yesterday in 3 hours with my moto-skivees padded underwear. I wasn't uncomfortable on the seat, no hot spots at that mileage.

As a side not, the seat on the bike now measures 11" across it's widest width where the rear seat meets it. If someone could measure their's and which seat it is in the lineup, it might help if I do need to decide.

The easiest way to identify the optional "sport" seat is to lay a straight edge, front to back, on the seat. If there's minimal gap along the straight edge, then you have the "sport" seat.

Anything like moto-skivee's will help.

Relative to whether you have a tall or standard seat, place the bike on the centrestand and lay a straight edge across the lowest point on the seat. On my Sargent "tall" seat (similar to the RS Standard) the distance to the floor/ground/pavement is 33.25~33.5".Combo.jpg

Last edited:
You can also look at the sticker on the underside of the seat and google the part number.

Pics of seats:

e337673dae526491938f87afe5b46cfe_2048x2048.jpg

1) Sport
2) RS Std, R Tall
3) RS Low, R Std
4) R Low

You can also look at the sticker on the underside of the seat and google the part number.

Pics of seats:

e337673dae526491938f87afe5b46cfe_2048x2048.jpg

1) Sport
2) RS Std, R Tall
3) RS Low, R Std
4) R Low

Just to clarify, the part number is on the paper sticker. The number embossed/stamped on the seat pan is number for the pan only

I've been happy with Sargent on a number of bikes. Seth Lamm makes the best seat I've ever owned (for my 1290 SD GT) but it is not attractive. His look very much like Russel DL seats.

I have used the sport (tall) seat since new. Due to hip issues i the last year added lower pegs and moto skivies. Recently added a gel insert into the seat from Astech in Indiana. Believe that will make a noticable difference, only had one ride on it, but can feel the gel conforming to me. Resisting the higher bar option for the time being.....

Back