• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Looking for Intel to Add Aux Fuel Tank - 2015 R1200GS

boltgunner

I want to add 3 gallons to the fuel system. Long rides need longer legs. I found an aux tank builder but I have no information as to tying in the line from the tank to the bike. Was trying (yesterday) to complete an IBA Saddle Sore 1000 and I was wasting too much time refueling.

Thanks!

Commercially made fuel cells are available, mounting it is another issue. Mounted over the passenger seat is best to keep the weight as far forward as you can.

As to refueling for a SS1000, 5.3 gallon tank should get you 175-200 miles easily. That is one at the start, and 4-5 more stops on the trip. 5 stops should be doable in about hour, so that leaves 23 hours to get the ride done at an average speed of 44 MPH. 3 more gallons will cut out maybe 2 stops on a SS1000 or maybe 1/2 hour. I don't think it is worth the hassle unless you plan on doing more IBA rides.

I did an "unofficial" SS100 in 22 hours without even trying a few years ago. I had a witness for the start, bought gas at all the turns and my wife was a witness at home. Went carefully through all my paperwork, made sure to dot the "T's" and cross the "I's", then tossed the whole works in the trash! I am certain it would have passed judgement, but realized I didn't care if I had the licence plate frame and a certificate, I knew I could do it which is all that mattered.

I added fuel cells to my R1150R and to Voni's R1100RS. I did hers for the 2003 Iron Butt Rally (my K75 already had an 8.5 gallon tank). I did my R1150 later for a 49 state/10 day ride.

A gravity feed system is the best. That avoids any issues with electrons and pumps. The plumbing is really quite simple. A hose from the aux cell to a valve. Then a hose from the valve to a bulkhead fitting installed somewhere in the lower half of the OEM fuel tank. You should also have a vent hose from a vent in the aux cell down to a low point where any burped fuel won't contaminate anything including the rear tire. This is all a low pressure system so high dollar elaborate plumbing is not necessary. Just good quality fuel line and fittings.

Google "R1200GS extra fuel tank" and look at the images

Google "R1200GS extra fuel tank" and look at the images. You will see multiple examples of plumbed-in add-on tanks, though these photos won't help with plumbing questions. Or get an Adventure version.

Back