• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

To Trade or Not to Trade

protrainerusa

I currently have a 2013 F800GS and was dumb enough to demo the 1250GSA last weekend. While the price makes it out of reach (per my wife anyway)I loved how comfortable it was along with the wind protection it provided. I am thinking about trading the 2013 800GS with 26k miles for a 2010ish 1200GSA which would have at least 50k (to keep within a divorceless price range) and would like some advice from someone that has made that move. I do some gravel/easy dirt riding but mostly commute approximately 35 miles each day to work and am looking to go on longer rides/camping trips.

Wait until you've saved up the cash to get a newer GS, a 2014 or later. Meanwhile, work on the wife to get the "divorceless price range" increased. :)

The MY2015 and later has the stuff you will want on the GS. At About the same price easily.

Have a website look today at Eurosport BMW, Asheville NC. A 15' there... that will make you smile!

Do not trade, sell. You may lose a couple of thousand dollars in a trade, especially for a used bike. You should also ride the type bike you think you want. The hexhead (2005 - 2009) and camhead (2010-2012) are much different bikes. The GSA camhead may not have been introduced until 2011... I am not certain. I personally think the camheads are very good bikes. They are very well sorted out and seldom need a valve adjustment. The earlier models are good bikes but are much differnt than the liquid cooled models.

I can’t see how it makes sense to trade for an older bike with double the miles. Are you getting cash back?

As others have said, keep in mind that the 2010 R1200GSA is very different than the R1250GSA that you rode (as I think someone else mentioned). One big thing for me is the newer ones are more friendly to the height challenged like myself. Also, the engine behavior of the wetheads is just different than the older generations.

That said, I love my camhead R1200RT and would be super happy with a GSA of that generation. Though if you're looking, try to find a 2013 model as they should have the float instead of the fuel strip which can save you some hassle. Make sure to ride it first and make sure you like it. The F800GS is also an awesome bike. From a cursory glance, I see F800s of your generation listed for $6-8k and the 10-13 R1200GSAs going for $8-10k. It's not a big jump if you were to sell yours privately and find another from a private party.

If you do this all through a dealer, expect to lose $4-8k on the whole transaction between them paying you less for your bike and marking up the R1200GSA beyond what you would pay for it privately.

What is it about the 800GS that you don't like? If it were me personally I would trade to a newer wethead, not down 3 years. You will take it in the shorts. Sell yours outright and then look for a newer 1200GS.

To avoid this-

If you do this all through a dealer, expect to lose $4-8k on the whole transaction between them paying you less for your bike and marking up the R1200GSA beyond what you would pay for it privately.

If I pay retail, I expect to receive retail........ Retail-Retail or Wholesale- Wholesale is “fair” all the way around although may be a struggle to achieve.

OM

To avoid this-

If I pay retail, I expect to receive retail........ Retail-Retail or Wholesale- Wholesale is “fair” all the way around although may be a struggle to achieve.

OM

That may be fair, but I have yet to find any dealer that will pay you retail price for a trade-in. Businesses don't operate on that model or else they wouldn't make any profits. Most seem to offer 15-20% lower than retail on trade-ins. Consignments are another option that sometimes will yield a higher selling price, but you will almost always get the most money selling it yourself.

The MY2015 and later has the stuff you will want on the GS. At About the same price easily.

Have a website look today at Eurosport BMW, Asheville NC. A 15' there... that will make you smile!

It looks like prices differ greatly when you compare NC with New England. It may be worth a trip to a warmer climate.

I can’t see how it makes sense to trade for an older bike with double the miles. Are you getting cash back?

Just looking and contemplating at the moment. Winter is coming quick (this was evident from the 6 inches of snow that fell in NH yesterday morning) so there is no rush. I want to be sure to do my research and get the opinions those who are much more knowledgeable in this area than myself.

What is it about the 800GS that you don't like? If it were me personally I would trade to a newer wethead, not down 3 years. You will take it in the shorts. Sell yours outright and then look for a newer 1200GS.

I actually really like my 800GS. I feel confident off road (which is why I chose it) and it is comfortable for the first 45 minutes - 1 hour on the road. The issue is that I get pushed forward in the seat and it becomes uncomfortable. I am 6' tall with long legs and the 1200GSA gave me more room, front to back with a much more comfortable seat and excellent wind protection for longer trips. My intention, when I went to the demo day was to get a feel for the RT and possibly get an RT for touring and commuting while kitting out the 800GS heavier on the off road end. The issue was that I did not like the RT. While it was incredibly comfortable, I felt like I was sitting on top of it instead of being one with it while also losing all road feel. I rode the GSA and it just fit.

I actually really like my 800GS. I feel confident off road (which is why I chose it) and it is comfortable for the first 45 minutes - 1 hour on the road. The issue is that I get pushed forward in the seat and it becomes uncomfortable. I am 6' tall with long legs and the 1200GSA gave me more room, front to back with a much more comfortable seat and excellent wind protection for longer trips. My intention, when I went to the demo day was to get a feel for the RT and possibly get an RT for touring and commuting while kitting out the 800GS heavier on the off road end. The issue was that I did not like the RT. While it was incredibly comfortable, I felt like I was sitting on top of it instead of being one with it while also losing all road feel. I rode the GSA and it just fit.

My wife Annie has a 34 inch inseam and rides a 2014 F800GS and a 2017 R1200GS, both are standard height. At the seat the F800 is about .5 - .75 inch taller than the R12. Perhaps putting a new seat on your F800 will solve some of your problems. A well built seat that is tailored to you can both give you more leg room and relieve the sliding issue. If you found the stock R1250 seat comfortable you either were not on it very long or one the very few who like it. Seats built by Russel, Lamb or Mayer are among the best custom made seats.

But I get it.... once the new bike bug gets a foothold in your mind, then it can be be hard to resist.

Last edited:
I will make a different suggestion. Try the new F850GSA.

It has much the same benefits as the big GSA in better wind protection and greater range all with a lot less sticker shock. If you like your F800GS, the F850GSA will be an improvement over it and yet have many of the same qualities. As it has been a bit lagging in popularity with buyers, there are also some good deals from BMW on them with accessory credits and discounts.

I vote for a new Sargent, Russel, or Mayer seat. A few hundred dollars will transform the F800 to a bike to love.

I currently have a 2013 F800GS and was dumb enough to demo the 1250GSA last weekend. While the price makes it out of reach (per my wife anyway)I loved how comfortable it was along with the wind protection it provided. I am thinking about trading the 2013 800GS with 26k miles for a 2010ish 1200GSA which would have at least 50k (to keep within a divorceless price range) and would like some advice from someone that has made that move. I do some gravel/easy dirt riding but mostly commute approximately 35 miles each day to work and am looking to go on longer rides/camping trips.

I returned to motorcycling in 2013 with an F700GS. It was a good bike to get back into riding, but I had recurring engine problems that didn't seem to get fixed, and I did not enjoy riding it above about 55. Too much noise, vibration, and wind. I took a chance on staying with BMW and traded it in for a 2015 R120GS. I have no regrets. I still have the bike and am almost to 40k miles on it. It is far more comfortable on the highway and great fun on gravel, even for an old man like me. :) My only regret is not getting it earlier, so I hope you can find a good used bike that you like.

Cheers, Ken

IMO the incremental improvements between the 1200 and the 1250 wet heads aren't worth it. The engine and transmission really are improved, but the TFT dash is, for me, a downgrade in utility. Navigation through the BMW connected app is rudimentary, it is no substitute for a Nav 5 or 6. Wait until the dead of winter and find a nice 2013+ 1200.

Thanks for the great input. I added a set of Rox Risers this past weekend, which helped slightly. I think I will keep an eye out for a good deal on a 2013+ 1200GSA. A change in seat might make a difference; however, at $500+ per seat, it is an expensive experiment (I have changed out the original seat for a "comfort" seat already) and not sure if I want to put more money into the bike. Also, the wife doesn't like riding two up because there is no back rest and she can't relax. The best solution would be a top box with back rest (another $800). She actually asked if the 1200 GSA would be more comfortable. My answer, absolutely. So I am on my way to searching in the light of day, instead of hiding in the shadows of the internet.

That may be fair, but I have yet to find any dealer that will pay you retail price for a trade-in. Businesses don't operate on that model or else they wouldn't make any profits. Most seem to offer 15-20% lower than retail on trade-ins. Consignments are another option that sometimes will yield a higher selling price, but you will almost always get the most money selling it yourself.
Fairness in the market place, where all things are equal and no pricing regulation, is based on the negotiating ability, power position, and that all too intangible "I need" feeling position. If you don't "need" to sell something, then you can hold your price up high and wait for the one consumer to come along with a stronger "I need" itch, than the seller. They may never come along, but that's not about fairness, it's about having a consumable that you value much more than the rest of the market. Free enterprise!😀

Back