• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

89 R100 GS - Broken key in steering lock

Hi,
I just purchased my first BMW after searching for years. It’s a 1989 R100 GS with a PD tank. It’s starts, but I haven’t ridden it yet. I wanted to see if the steering lock functions and the key broke. It is the only key I have.
At this point I’m thinking the best course of action is to buy an ignition switch with a key.
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Having a BMW has been a dream of mine, and I’ve already made my first major mistake before even riding it.

Welcome to the forum! Sorry that your first experience with the bike hasn't been great so far. But there's hope!! I presume the lock is a small oval cover on the left side of the steering column? See if some info on this site might help you get the lock out of the enclosure and then you might be able to deal with it. There's a section near the bottom of this page:

https://w6rec.com/bmw-motorcycle-fork-and-tank-lock-neiman-keys/

Another discussion is in the top part of this page:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/locks-caps-etc.htm

Let us know how it goes!

Welcome to the forum!
I do a lot of lock work. Hopefully the key broke so you can see the broken piece almost flush with the top of the opening.
You can flood the lock with WD-40 and start the removal process. A good tool to “rake” out the broken piece is a tip-cleaner set used to clean the tip of an oxy-acetylene torch set. Lacking that, a safety pin 🧷 can be straightened and the sharp end closely bent to slide in and “rake” the piece out. A carefully reshaped fish hook can work as well.
I would have the front wheel off the ground so there is no extra pressure on the lock mechanism.
Good luck.
Gary

After U get the key out and get caught up, take some pics of that little beauty and post'em. Early R100GS's are a favorite of mine. :thumb

Welcome to the forum!
I do a lot of lock work. Hopefully the key broke so you can see the broken piece almost flush with the top of the opening.
You can flood the lock with WD-40 and start the removal process. A good tool to “rake” out the broken piece is a tip-cleaner set used to clean the tip of an oxy-acetylene torch set. Lacking that, a safety pin 🧷 can be straightened and the sharp end closely bent to slide in and “rake” the piece out. A carefully reshaped fish hook can work as well.
I would have the front wheel off the ground so there is no extra pressure on the lock mechanism.
Good luck.
Gary

I was able to remove the broken key. The WD-40 made quick work of it. I called my local shop who now sell BMWs. They can send the broken key to BMW and make a new one for $45. I think I’ll have them make two. Problem now is that I have to show proof of ownership, and my title and resignation have not come in the mail. COVID has shut down most Secretary of State offices in Chicago and there are long lines for the ones that are open.

Welcome to the forum!
Good luck.
Gary

After U get the key out and get caught up, take some pics of that little beauty and post'em. Early R100GS's are a favorite of mine. :thumb

Barry’s, I certainly will. This bike came from Spain, and I purchased it from a collector in NY. The owner had put a PD tank and solo seat on it to make it appear as a R80 as much as possible (I’ve been on the hunt for one for four years and settled for this instead). It has 46k kilometers on it, and from what I can tell, has been well maintained. More to come!

I was able to remove the broken key. The WD-40 made quick work of it. I called my local shop who now sell BMWs. They can send the broken key to BMW and make a new one for $45. I think I’ll have them make two. Problem now is that I have to show proof of ownership, and my title and resignation have not come in the mail. COVID has shut down most Secretary of State offices in Chicago and there are long lines for the ones that are open.

Great :thumb

A “real” locksmith can probably help you out, even if you have to order the key blank and have the locksmith cut the key.
On newer bikes/vehicles the “grooved” keys require a specific/special machine to cut the blank.
OM

replacement keys

Replacement blanks are available if not easy to find, I just had an extra, extra set made, Can't have too many copies, LOL. I did find that most locksmiths won't cut the blanks, I found a high end locksmith specializing in high end auto keys would do it. He was not particularly happy to cut the BMW folding key blanks but did, The straight key blanks he had no problem with.

I like the post in regard to getting the broken bit out of the lock. Getting that out I would think make things so much easier to make a replacement for you. Of course for the locksmith, it will prove a challenge to make a key from part of the key.

If you have to install a new ignition switch, they are available at several of the BMW specialty parts houses. As for the other locks on the bike keyed to the ignition, they may, but I am not sure be able to be worked on by again a good locksmith to be rekeyed to the key for the new switch. Don't hold me to this because I have been lucky never to have had to change any of the locks on either of my bikes so far, one key still fits all.

Good luck. St.

You can order new key blanks here, and a good local locksmith can cut you a key from your broken key. Much faster and less hassle than ordering from BMW.

Best,
DeVern

You can order new key blanks here, and a good local locksmith can cut you a key from your broken key. Much faster and less hassle than ordering from BMW.

Best,
DeVern

Thanks, DeVern. I just ordered two. Hopefully I’ll find a someone in Chicago willing to cut them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 81
That style is what I thought it was. Should be no problem have that made at a locksmith shop. We also have a local hardware store that could do it. If you have experience with a hardware store that does a good job, they may be able to cut them.
OM

BMW sells a nice motorcycle security locking cable. I’ve accumulated several and just leave one with each bike.
AC67D888-82BF-4DD4-BEBA-B02685B65D24.jpeg
C643E34A-A7D2-4916-BD85-108A8CA4751C.jpeg
958451B3-C2CB-4A1B-9E59-45DD57200A73.jpeg
Almost 24 inches in length.

They mount in the backbone spine of the main frame. Lift the seat and slide it up in the hollow end. Always with U and outa the way.
4C30628E-3BB6-4722-B042-F51BF1815643.jpeg

Attachments

• 59AFD5E1-4587-4A9E-A29F-DCF50937D1CC.jpeg
    59AFD5E1-4587-4A9E-A29F-DCF50937D1CC.jpeg
    591.3 KB · Views: 75
Barry -

Those can't be for sale from BMW now, can they! I figure those are unobtanium...luckily my /7 came with one still in the backbone tube under the tank. I can't even hazard a guess as to the part number.

Joy Ride Protection

45DEFC3A-F6AF-4AB4-9A30-97FAE0696087.jpeg
It’ll push on up in outa the way. U may want to add a long tie wrap or string to pull it out.
D3C0E641-8B7D-4D3A-AC77-9FFC4E94A20D.jpeg
It’s listed in the old parts catalog, check the updated microfiche.
2C729BB6-677F-4B9F-904C-F2DBB722337B.jpeg

That is just to funny!

If a couple or three or so ride together and each one has one, U can use them in combination as needed. :thumb

Yea, that part number 51251238375 is not a valid part number now...not available.

To get back to the original thread.... There is a company that makes these keys as blanks but they are somewhat hard to find.
A locksmith that has been in business for a long time will most likely have the blanks, and can probably cut one using the pieces of your original key as a guide.

There are a number of links to key suppliers in the Resources link in my signature line.

Back