• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

DOT Helmet Certification

How can open face helmets pass but not modular helmets?

I looked at the certified listing section and see open face helmets listed. They appear to be Snell certified.
So how does a modular helmet not make it but an open faced helmet does? I guess, if the latch failed and the visor flips up, they'd call it a fail?
More importantly, in the proverbial same crash, am I safer in a Snell certified helmet than one that is not Snell certified?
Many variables in a crash, I understand this, but is it a matter of a small degree of difference in safety without Snell or a big difference?

I looked at the certified listing section and see open face helmets listed. They appear to be Snell certified.
So how does a modular helmet not make it but an open faced helmet does? I guess, if the latch failed and the visor flips up, they'd call it a fail?
More importantly, in the proverbial same crash, am I safer in a Snell certified helmet than one that is not Snell certified?
Many variables in a crash, I understand this, but is it a matter of a small degree of difference in safety without Snell or a big difference?

From what I've read, an open face helmet is rated as an open helmet.

As shown in the first graphic of this blog,
http://dontai.com/wp/2010/05/20/motorcycle-helmet-impact-zones/

Around 44~45% of all helmet impacts are on the chin bar and shield.

Relative to the safety difference between Snell and DOT rated helmets, I can't answer that.

Conventional wisdom without absolute scientific proof is that the European ECE rating is the most stringent and useful; that the private Snell Foundation ratings are second best; and the the DOT standard by the US government is the least stringent and least useful. Since the criteria differ and the test protocols differ we will probably never have full agreement but generally speaking the DOT standard is by now probably obsolete.

FWIW a few years ago there was a discussion about Snell vs DOT. An observation made at that time was Snell evolved from auto racing so the test were oriented to a driver in a car, for impact, helmet penetration, etc. This was very well done vs DOT. However a motorcycle crash often envolve the helmet hitting the pavement or a stationary object, some times at speed.

I have no knowledge if or how Snell testing has evolved to address motorcycles type of impacts.

I am also curious about the sharp twisting/turning accelerations on the brain are evaluated. Some of the newer helmets suspend the inner shell from the out with elastic dampeners to address this issue

FWIW a few years ago there was a discussion about Snell vs DOT. An observation made at that time was Snell evolved from auto racing so the test were oriented to a driver in a car, for impact, helmet penetration, etc. This was very well done vs DOT. However a motorcycle crash often envolve the helmet hitting the pavement or a stationary object, some times at speed.

I have no knowledge if or how Snell testing has evolved to address motorcycles type of impacts.

I am also curious about the sharp twisting/turning accelerations on the brain are evaluated. Some of the newer helmets suspend the inner shell from the out with elastic dampeners to address this issue

Snell for the last 20 or more years have had separate classifications for M(otorcycle) and S(port?) - S-rated is required for use with most track-day auto events, as the S class tests are designed to test for more impact on small hard objects (roll cages).

Snell for the last 20 or more years have had separate classifications for M(otorcycle) and S(port?) - S-rated is required for use with most track-day auto events, as the S class tests are designed to test for more impact on small hard objects (roll cages).

SA - Automotive Sports

All this posting and we haven't had this come up yet... (newer numbers than the FortNine video - sadly they haven't gotten any better)

"Over 40 Percent Of DOT Certified Helmets Fail Government Testing"

This next quote from your link explains a lot:

The ECE 22.05 certified helmet is a known quantity. It must pass the applicable tests before it can be placed on the market. A helmet under DOT standards may not have been correctly tested or proven by the manufacturer or its testing contractor to meet the penetration, impact, or retention system standards prior to going on the market as the post-marketing test failure data suggests. In fact, if the manufacturer is not required to submit any evidence of that testing for self-certification, the testing may not have been done at all.

That is only the tip of the iceberg. Not all helmets get tested so how many would actually fail?

ps. ECE 22.05 is being replaced by ECE 22.06 that will include most of the FIM racing certification requirements and be closer to Snell's M2020R which will mean better protection and mostly, helmets that will able to meet both ECE and Snell. ECE 22.06 was to be approved in June 2020 to be mandatory for all new helmet sales in Europe by June 2023.

Conventional wisdom without absolute scientific proof is that the European ECE rating is the most stringent and useful; that the private Snell Foundation ratings are second best; and the the DOT standard by the US government is the least stringent and least useful. Since the criteria differ and the test protocols differ we will probably never have full agreement but generally speaking the DOT standard is by now probably obsolete.

I've heard the ranking is Snell then ECE then DOT. Snell doesn't pass modular's as ECE does. But I could be wrong as all this is not clear to me where open face is Snell acceptable yet that is the highest probable crash zone and many states don't even require a helmet but they do a face mask...

I've heard the ranking is Snell then ECE then DOT. Snell doesn't pass modular's as ECE does. But I could be wrong as all this is not clear to me where open face is Snell acceptable yet that is the highest probable crash zone and many states don't even require a helmet but they do a face mask...

Snell tests began before full face helmets were available so they continue to test and certify open-face helmets.

And not wearing a helmet won't make anyone else sick whereas no face mask could.

Snell tests began before full face helmets were available so they continue to test and certify open-face helmets.

And not wearing a helmet won't make anyone else sick whereas no face mask could.

If the helmet has a chin bar, it's tested for impacts on the chin bar.

FF and closed modular helmets qualify as face coverings when going into gas station convenience stores. They're a floor wax AND a dessert topping!

Back