Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pics of the 2021 RT are emerging

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pkpilot View Post
    Human factor engineers will tell you that digital is not easier than analog for the human eye and brain to process. A combination of the two is best. Many years ago military fighters started to get digital instrumentation to replace the analog. The digital provides more accurate info, but take time to see and process. An analog presentation is quicker to see without even reading the data. A great example is the display of multiple engines running status (power setting, fuel flow, various temperatures, etc.). The gauges were designed so that if one was out of parameters, it was easy to detect with only a glance. Digital required looking at each individual number and processing that info. Newer designs retain the analog for quick reference, then you can check the digital if something is amiss.

It is not about what you grew up on, it is what your eyes and brain can efficiently accomplish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes..... Like having all the gauges pointing at twelve o'clock when everything is running as it should.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I also am not impressed with more electronic gadgets. Even on my 2018 RT has more than I like or want. I scroll through the wonder wheel and wonder who uses all this crapola! Trouble is the next guy complains because the head lights don't adjust for the turn and wants the $5,000 head light option.

I do like the electronically adjustable suspension, but honestly I could do without, and long as the suspension works and has some manual adjustability. I hated the rear suspension on my Harley enough to spend $1,000 for Ohlins shocks. I set them up for me and mama on the back and leave them there. Even set up for two and riding solo they ride better than the OEM shocks.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"

Thumbs up Excellent description of human factoring considerations...

Human factor engineers will tell you that digital is not easier than analog for the human eye and brain to process. A combination of the two is best. Many years ago military fighters started to get digital instrumentation to replace the analog. The digital provides more accurate info, but take time to see and process. An analog presentation is quicker to see without even reading the data. A great example is the display of multiple engines running status (power setting, fuel flow, various temperatures, etc.). The gauges were designed so that if one was out of parameters, it was easy to detect with only a glance. Digital required looking at each individual number and processing that info. Newer designs retain the analog for quick reference, then you can check the digital if something is amiss.

It is not about what you grew up on, it is what your eyes and brain can efficiently accomplish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In aviation, including both airframe and the modernization of air traffic control, there were some hard lessons learned while attempting to embrace full digital.
    "travel'n" John... on a 2015 R1200GS / MOA# 102452
    "Keep a steady eye ahead, a firm grip on the throttle, be ready with brakes... every mile of the road, there are two miles of the ditch"
    (words of wisdom credited to fellow MOA rider Bill T.)

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    I’m not seeing in any of the pics a mount location for the Nav VI... Will the TFT and BMW Connected app be the only supported GPS solution? The document linked in post #5 sure makes it sound that way. That’s a bit concerning for those of us who have been less than favorably impressed with the app/TFT combination at the level of development seen on the 2018-2020 bikes.

DeVern
    No mount for Nav, as the navigation is integrated into the TFT.

Navigation comes from the phone, so supporting nav apps but I haven't seen a complete list of supported apps.

Would hope this is Android or CarPlay driven

Quote Originally Posted by acools View Post

Navigation comes from the phone, so supporting nav apps but I haven't seen a complete list of supported apps.

The only supported app is the BMW Motorrad Connected app, no Car Play or Android Auto. The Connected app may be able to import data from Rever or similar apps but I can’t say for sure as I disconnected the app and my phone from the TFT back in the spring, preferring to run all services and navigation through the Nav VI.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Yep and ditto all.
    "Soló el que ensaya lo absurdo es capaz de conquistar lo imposible." Miguel de Unamuno 1905

Mark - Las Cruces, NM

Quote Originally Posted by acools View Post

So, what happens if you don't have cell service?
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Exactly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 R1250GS
    2016 R1200RT
    2019 KTM 790R
    2016 Husqvarna 501S

The BMW Motorrad Connected app is a TomTom product. I think Garmin is history at BMW. Note that new Zumo models, the basis for the Navigators, have not had the 18 pin mounts needed for the CANBUS/Wonderwheel connection since 2016.

I suspect the new TFT navigation will work just fine without cell service, but not at all without your smartphone. The phone will provide the receiver for the GPS satellite signal, store the maps and routes, and provide the processing power. GPX routes built on a computer with Basecamp or other means will transfer to the app via Wifi or Bluetooth.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Cell phones with gps chips don't need cell coverage to get your location. They do need cell data or wifi to download maps.
    The connected app lets you download maps ahead of time. If you don't forget, you'll be fine, if you do, I hope you have a good data plan.
    It obviously won't work if your cell doesn't have a gps chip and no cell signal.

An interesting dilema. A friend runs a motorcycle tours agency. All bikes have gps units and multiple routes preloaded, sometimes 10 or more for a single day. How do you manage that without gps units? Can you rely on your customers using their cell phones?

There are probably hundreds more scenarios where gps units are preferable to using cell apps and hundreds more where cells work out fine. It all depends on what your needs are.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

The 2021 R1250RT takes care of my three biggest gripes

I never cared for the removable Navigation on my R1200RT, so the integration for that alone is a welcome option. Additionally, I felt as if I needed an engineering degree to connect my phone and blue tooth to the 2016 R1200RT. As it stands right now, all I can do is charge the phone and my helmet has two separate blue tooth connections, one to my phone and one to my GPS. If I wanted to listen to the radio and connect my helmet to that, it was a whole different process. It looks like they may have taken care of this issue with the new system. My third issue is the display in sun light is horrible, again this new display is beautiful and seems more user friendly. i will be upgrading, probably in 2022.

If I may be so bold?

Quote Originally Posted by pbryant018 View Post
    I never cared for the removable Navigation on my R1200RT, so the integration for that alone is a welcome option. Additionally, I felt as if I needed an engineering degree to connect my phone and blue tooth to the 2016 R1200RT. As it stands right now, all I can do is charge the phone and my helmet has two separate blue tooth connections, one to my phone and one to my GPS. If I wanted to listen to the radio and connect my helmet to that, it was a whole different process. It looks like they may have taken care of this issue with the new system. My third issue is the display in sun light is horrible, again this new display is beautiful and seems more user friendly. i will be upgrading, probably in 2022.
    I agree with all your assessments and would add one more.. having my dim Halogen burn out every 6 months. Having LED adaptive lights will save me tons of money on clearwaters if the new engineered solution is all that and a bag of chips.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

Ute's Chauffeur

‘21 rt

I’ve already decided on the paint job once I get the bike. I’m also hoping that the lights will be good enough to not hang more lights on the bike.

As for the BT system hopefully it wont be as advanced as the one on my ‘12 GTL or ‘18 GA which connected when it had determined I had something useful to say and then disconnected when it determined I had said enough. It took a while to understand that there were particular four letter words that had to be used in a particular sequence to get one device to connect to another. Hopefully this system will be “dumbed down” for us mere mortals.

Like the TFT and with the ability to import my Base Camp routes I’m good to go. Would like CarPlay but as long as I can do Spotify all is OK.

Motor32
    How soon until we start seeing this??? Looks like they stayed cheap and kept the Hayes calipers, UNBELIEVABLE !!!

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool optiions for the future

Interesting options. Most of the bike works very well now. The TFT should have a better nav display than the six in use now. My previous two bikes were goldwings and they had better head lights and a better nav system in the dash as well as an excellent sound system. I changed because I wanted better performance in the form of fuel economy, acceleration, and cornering clearance. I also wanted longer range between gas stops and was bothered by the smaller luggage and fuel tank on the new model.

After having the RT for a while now I am glad I made the switch. The main thing is the easier maintenance however it requires more frequent attention. The one thing I thought was a nice feature of the Nav 6 and others like it was the advantage of transferring it from one bike to another that would be very nice for those folks that had say a road bike and a road/dirt bike for example, or that went to a newer model of the same bike and could keep their existing nav. It also functions as a handheld when on foot.

Like all things there are strong points and weak points to consider, one just needs to make choices that suit your particular desires. I hope they have designed the compartment for the phone large enough so as to fit in the new larger phones that those of us with old eyes and big hands and fingers use. One thing that makes things easier to use is larger type as that is easier to read at a glance than minuscule numbers. My present phone will not fit in any of the compartments designed for personal electronics on the bike, and I doubt I could use any of the controls on anything that would fit in there.

Granted most folks have hands smaller than mine but including everyone would seem to be a better idea than just most of the possible customer base.

When my dealer gets some of these I will examine them and in a few or more years I might be getting one of these to replace my present bike.