• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Progressive Fork Springs, suggestions and experience. 1986 R80

So, now you have these on your bike, can you honestly say they are worth the time and effort as well as money to install them? I mean, what was the final cost to install, I read your installation post, and I can well imagine my having the same problems and I am not a patient person so I am not amused by "improvement" projects that have the potential to irritate me. That aside, how about the cost? Dollar for dollar, do you still think it was worth it? And, finally not to be a jerk, but what condition were your forks in before you changed to the RT system?

Yes, it was worth the time and cost. Of course, I enjoy doing this sort of project. I like learning how things work and what makes them work better. It also gives me a winter project when I can't ride here in the northeast. The final cost was whatever the GV kit and oil cost, the stock parts I mentioned replacing, car fuel to the hardware store and back a time or two and my time. IIRC, the stock springs seemed fine for what they were (too soft for me) and I had changed the fork oil when I got the bike -- again IIRC to 7.5 wt oil as that is what has worked for me in the past on airheads that specify 5 wt. That said, I ride, or rode, my airheads fairly hard. I like going reasonably fast and want suspension that is up to that. I also live in PA which reportedly has the worst maintained roads in the country so I expect suspension to soak up bumps, potholes, etc., reasonably well and maintain the bikes composure.

I understand the frustration factor. Happens to me all the time even on straightforward tasks like changing tires. I try to take the attitude that it builds character. Doesn't always work. Still, my father started me on motorcycles and taught me how to work on them myself. His sense was you did as much as you could yourself and I still have that ingrained. It also made sense, in those days, to know your bike as you might well end up repairing it on the side of the road or trail. More in his day than mine but still. And when anything happens on a group ride, one of my friends will point at me and say 'well, if anybody has a tool to fix that it'll be Chip.'

Again, I enjoy modifying bikes but I rarely do anything with engine performance. Modifying suspension and brakes has always seemed to me to give the most bang for the buck.

All that said, as you will note from my signature line, I don't ride airheads anymore. The combination of my age, the performance of old style brakes and tires, and traffic where I live and ride makes airheads not a lot of fun. For me.

I did a post on installing the RaceTech cartridge emulators in my 86 R80. Other than the fact that taking your forks off will always be time consuming, it wasn't a difficult install and I would to it again. The ride is greatly improve, especially over the stiffer progressive spring i previously used. The were RT spring rates used in what is now a naked R80. I would not do them again.

Back