• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2012 K1600GTL - Anyone installed a tow hitch to their K bike?

piperk1600gtl

I'm thinking I would like to do some moto-camping next year and like the look of some of the motorcycle trailer tents. Has anyone installed a trailer hitch on a K1600GTL? Any recommendations, tips, pros, cons?

Thanks in advance.

I'm thinking I would like to do some moto-camping next year and like the look of some of the motorcycle trailer tents. Has anyone installed a trailer hitch on a K1600GTL? Any recommendations, tips, pros, cons?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I ride a 2018 GTL. I installed a hitch myself. It was not that hard. I research them all and eventually went with the hitch made by Bushtec. It was the most solid and easy to work with. The wiring took a little research to find the correct color code for my year of bike. There were four bolts I had to find that were longer because I have saddle bag protectors on my GTL. Other than that, it was very straight forward. I did not even have to remove the wheel to attach the hitch.

Hope that helps. Any questions feel free to shoot me an email at: pilotron46@gmail.com

DMC hitch

I installed a DMC hitch. It took longer than expected but the installation was straight forward and the wiring diagram was correct. I did splice in a heavier wire at the wiring harness as the thin multi wire broke easily when tightening the screws. You also must plan for an extra wire on the trailer to operate the brake/running lights as most trailers are 4 wire harnesses and the bike is 5 wire

Back