Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Prescription sunglasses - Recommendations?

WalMart Vision Center?

Never having worn Rx sunglasses I went to Walmart Vision Center with a previously obtained prescription and got a very inexpensive pair of wrap around photochromic with scratch protection, shatter resistance, et al. They are reasonably normal looking and effective. The price was less than using my insurance at the optometrist. Worth a shot if you are looking to "try them out" and decide exactly what works for you? Get two or three styles for less than one expensive pair and dial in your preferences.
    Mike
    2000 R1100R
    2004 H-D Road King
    1980 Honda CB400T Hawk

I have no issue with polarized lenses either.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    All I wear on motorcycle is polarized lenses. I have been wearing them for years. Yes, sometimes the GPS is tough to see, as it the dash on the RT, but I feel polarized is worth it.

Also, I wear progressive lenses.
    It's the combination of polarized lenses and the helmet face shield. So, the choice of helmet is a factor.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

I find the chromatic aberration (if thatís the right term) of looking through the plastic face shield causes unusual rainbows when having polarized glasses on.

no one has mentioned that light sensitive lenses (lenses get darker in light) don't seem to work with face shields that block UV-

I'd also like to hear more from those who use bifocals for riding- my progressives seem to work fine but as I haven't tried bifocals I don't know what I might be missing! Have an appointment Tuesday- following this thread!!

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    It's the combination of polarized lenses and the helmet face shield. So, the choice of helmet is a factor.

I also wear a gray tint dace shield, HJC. I doubt it is polarized.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

www.grainger.com search 21c984 I use a weak prescription, but these work great everywhere.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    I also wear a gray tint dace shield, HJC. I doubt it is polarized.
    It's the polarized lenses behind certain plastics. It yields some psychodelic effects for some reason.....
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

I have noticed that, I don't any longer unless I think about it.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

I wear special motorcycling prescription glasses that have foam lining to keep wind out of my eyes. (Panoptyx now called 7eye ) It's really low humidity here in the Southwest and apparently I'm a wimp and really need this.

The advent of helmets with the internal drop down tinted visor is a great thing, and my motorcycling glasses are now just with clear lenses.

Here's another motorcycling thing ... here in the Rocky Mountains (and anywhere of course) one can come to a tunnel when riding. It's a piece of cake to flip up that tinted visor to keep maximum vision in the tunnel, including still keeping the wind and debris out when needed. Not so easy with tinted lens glasses or tinted visor. A photogray anything--lens or visor--isn't going to react quickly enough. Would be a bummer to hit something or a pothole due to reduced vision in a tunnel. There's even a simple underpass here where I always feel most comfortable traversing with just clear vision.

For car driving ... I'm a long time user of photogray lenses for the convenience, but previously they would never darken behind a windshield so I always had a permanently tinted pair of glasses too. Apparently I was last to know, but there is now a photogray that will darken in car, so except for motorcycling, one pair does it all.

Trivia ... it was relevant to the mission where I worked before retirement and we had training on "things around the house that are radioactive." Along with Coleman lantern mantles there was photogray lenses. Maybe the new ones aren't but anyway I can still see. And if you're old and need it, don't hesitate to get cataract surgery.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S

Quote Originally Posted by T-foiler View Post
    I find the chromatic aberration (if thatís the right term) of looking through the plastic face shield causes unusual rainbows when having polarized glasses on.
    Yes what he said. Happened once and now only non-polarized for me
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    Yes what he said. Happened once and now only non-polarized for me
    Somewhere back in time, there was one face shield and a pair of polarized sunglasses that would produce rainbow colored surfaces floating above the real surface. The illusion was actually more interesting than the ride.........

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Somewhere back in time, there was one face shield and a pair of polarized sunglasses that would produce rainbow colored surfaces floating above the real surface. The illusion was actually more interesting than the ride.........
    That is what happened to me with my windshield and my face shield so I had double rainbows. Fortunately the eyeglass shop that sold me my sunglasses warned me that might happen but said if it does just bring them back and we'll remake then without polarization and that's exactly what I did.
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

I don't like grey lenses, amber or my favourites are the Maui Jim rose tints.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    That is what happened to me with my windshield and my face shield so I had double rainbows. Fortunately the eyeglass shop that sold me my sunglasses warned me that might happen but said if it does just bring them back and we'll remake then without polarization and that's exactly what I did.
    Single vision lenses? Life was so easy (not to mention cheap) in those days...........