• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2005 K1200S Coolant Reservoir Elimination

dkmbmwmoa

I have a 2005 K1200S that recently began eliminating about half of the contents in the coolant reservoir when I turn the bike off when the auxiliary cooling fan is on. It only happens when the bike is hot and the auxiliary cooling fan is on. The coolant is being ejected out of the hose that exits behind the engine on the left side of the bike. Anyone had this problem? Thanks - David

I have a 2005 K1200S that recently began eliminating about half of the contents in the coolant reservoir when I turn the bike off when the auxiliary cooling fan is on. It only happens when the bike is hot and the auxiliary cooling fan is on. The coolant is being ejected out of the hose that exits behind the engine on the left side of the bike. Anyone had this problem? Thanks - David

Assuming that the coolant level haas been set correctly as per the owner’s manual, the next two items to check would be the radiator cap and the condition of the radiator itself. By that, I mean making sure the fins aren’t plugged and that the aux fan can actually move air through the radiator. The radiators on the wedge-k bikes collect a lot of crud due to their placement and some have reported corrosion issues leading to leaks. But on a 15yr-old bike a new radiator cap is the first thing I’d try.

Best,
DeVern

These rad caps are kind of pricey - $43.00. Is there an OEM replacement available?

I’ve not found one. I note that BMW lists two different part number caps for the K1200S. One is flagged as “1.8 bar” and the other bears no value. It might be advantageous to visit with your dealer’s parts or service department to see which is recommended, in case the difference is relative to your problem. From Bob’s BMW parts fiche:

06 17 11 7687715 Cover lid 1.8BAR 1 $43.03
06 17 11 7695413 Cover lid 1 $34.44

Best,
DeVern

Back