Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hexhead Fuel Pump Recall; new one.

I'm sorry, I must be super dense - is the arrow pointing to the "flat side" or am I missing something? Are there two different part numbers? Max only lists one as I don't see any part number superseding one over the other.

Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

So slight diversion: I received my notification today with the VIN stating I am subject to the recall. I had a cracked quick disconnect a couple of years ago and upgraded both sides to metal QD which was a moderate pain due to amount of Tupperware removal to get to everything. Iím guessing that if the dealership replaces the pump Iíll be back to plastic and subject to that failure again. Has anyone else had this situation? Thinking I should at minimum be able to have the metal fittings returned by the dealer so I can go through the exercise of replacing them again??
    Talmadge Wright
    '12 R1200 GSA
    '14 R nine T

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    The QD is not part of the fuel pump and I would expect a dealer to re-use the QD that is installed in the fuel pump when it arrives for service.

Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    Thanks for this info.

To clarify, the BMW info showed three different scenarios regarding sleeves: 1) no sleeve having been previously installed, 2) the sleeve with the small flat place having been installed under previous recall, and 3) a sleeve with a round bottom edge and no flat place.

If I remember correctly, the first two trigger a recall automatically, with no requirement for a current leak, and after dealer's inspection.

I think they said the third type of sleeve, with a round bottom edge with no flat space, does not automatically trigger a recall repair at this time unless it is currently leaking upon inspection. I would assume that were a sleeve of that type to ever leak, it would then qualify for the repairs to be made under the terms of the recall.

srmRT - You could take a look at the NHTSA website and this PDF which is visible there to understand the situation: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...0V471-9083.pdf
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison 2018-Present
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo-via Walt Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    srmRT - You could take a look at the NHTSA website and this PDF which is visible there to understand the situation: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...0V471-9083.pdf
    Thanks! All I was able to find was the original notice.

I now understand this is not the big ring that holds the whole unit in place that I posted above, but a small ring that goes around the actual fuel connection.

Looks like I'm safe

Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Thx... based on pics I took of both bikes in the past I'm in the clear. No missing segments.

Took both of the R1200RTs in the garage to the dealer 2 weeks ago...

The 2005 passed (but I changed out the fuel pump 18 months ago with a used unit that was Condition 1...see below) my 2009 RT had the ring installed under the previous recall campaign and was Condition 2 so the dealer replaced the pump, etc. under warranty.

Had mine done, replaced the pump, but nicked my front fender. They agreed to repaint it, I dropped it off yesterday, the front fender that is.
    My Motorrad Blog
    My Motorrad YouTube
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Thanks John,

That is the picture and information I was advised of by two dealers within the last month, which clarifies the situation. Prior to that, I could not get a straight answer, going back to when I received the original recall notice, from anyone about the parameters determining the application of the recall. I don't know when this information became available to dealers, but I am glad that it is now available to everyone.

All is good now. I will ride the 15 miles to my dealer on the next pretty day for them to physically "inspect" my bike, acknowledge the fact that the sleeve with the small flat cutout was in fact installed during the previous recall, thus qualifying it for a free pump replacement, and have them install a new fuel pump and be finished with the recall.

All's well that ends well. Thanks for the link and help!

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    I had to replace my leaking fuel pump during a trip a few years ago and the dealer did a great job getting me in and fixed quick so I could make the wedding I was heading to but he said it didnít qualify for the recall at that time. I didnít have time to argue and was just thankful to not be stuck on the road. I ended up with one that looks like #1 with the full metal ring around the plastic flange for the QD. Wonder why I got a recall notice then if that one isnít covered? Seems strange they wouldnít track that upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by srmRT View Post
    Thanks John,

That is the picture and information I was advised of by two dealers within the last month, which clarifies the situation. Prior to that, I could not get a straight answer, going back to when I received the original recall notice, from anyone about the parameters determining the application of the recall. I don't know when this information became available to dealers, but I am glad that it is now available to everyone.

All is good now. I will ride the 15 miles to my dealer on the next pretty day for them to physically "inspect" my bike, acknowledge the fact that the sleeve with the small flat cutout was in fact installed during the previous recall, thus qualifying it for a free pump replacement, and have them install a new fuel pump and be finished with the recall.

All's well that ends well. Thanks for the link and help!
    I'm glad to hear that you're on your way to resolution. I think most people are not familiar with the NHTSA recall website. I think that a lot of years working in finding minutia gave me a tolerance for wading through dense language in government documents and procedures. Occasionally that history is helpful. Please let all of us know how it worked out for you srmRT.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison 2018-Present
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo-via Walt Kelly

Thanks again John for the help!

Phoned the dealer to make my appointment for replacement fuel pump only to be told they are back ordered.
    So Iím on a holding pattern...

Got mine back today with a new fuel pump.
    Shawn Conver
    K4CTD
    2011 R1200RT, 2018 Cummins 2500, 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee