Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Hexhead Fuel Pump Recall; new one.

Seems like it's pretty clear. Here's the direct quotation from NHTSA:

"BMW Motorrad is announcing a Safety Recall (20V-471) for Model Year 2005-2011 BMW R12000 / K1200/1300/1600, S1000RR, and HP2 models in the US that were subject to Safety Recall 13V-617 and had the fuel pump repaired with the support ring. Motorcycles subject to 13V-617 in which the fuel pump was replaced are not affected."
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison 2018-Present
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo-via Walt Kelly

no. My dealer took my information and once BMW had come up with the fix, they emailed me and asked me to make an appointment.
    Ken Insley: Ride fast enough that you can't take your mind off riding, but not so fast that you worry about crashing Everyone's pace is different, find your pace and ride it. You'll be stressed if you ride too fast and bored/distracted if you ride to slow.

I still haven't made an appointment. It doesn't leak, so no rush.
    My Motorrad Blog
    My Motorrad YouTube
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

You can also get reimbursed from BMW if you paid for replacement of a leaking fuel pump prior to the current recall. The failed pump must have had reinforcement ring installed by the earlier recall.
    You need to have the dealer you paid to replace the leaking pump file a claim for you with BMW. BMW will send the dealer compensation and the dealer will then send you a check.
    Just got a check for a 2008 K1200GT fuel pump leak/replacement that happened at the 2019 rally in Lebanon TN.

Thumbs up Fuel leak in pump area

Quote Originally Posted by jdubick View Post
    Yes that is what I interpreted from the notice saying the the fuel pump would be replaced. I have a 2010RT and had the flange replaced on mine. I had taken it in for regular service and they called me back to the shop and showed me fuel dripping out the side of the fairing. They didn't have the parts in stock and fortunately sent me home on a loaner bike. If they indeed replace all the fuel pumps on every bike affected it will certainly take a long time to manufacture a replacement pump. In the meantime I wonder if I have another flange crack will they fix it or make me wait for the pump replacement. I just realized it is 10 years old, may be a good time to trade
    I also received the same letter but experienced a leak in this area, in August 2020 on a trip thru Wyoming, Montana and s. Dakota, going over the Bear Tooth. When I tore it apart I found the fuel disconnects were leaking, so I ordered the metal replacement parts from Beemer Bone Yard to replace the OEM plastic ones. Good to go now but waiting on second letter of BMWs fix for the recalled pump. My 1st recal was dome in 2013...

Registered User indiana_jones_i's Avatar
    Received the recall letter last week and debating about having the defective fuel strip replaced again at the same time. Probably good money after bad as
    they say.

Quote Originally Posted by indiana_jones_i View Post
    Received the recall letter last week and debating about having the defective fuel strip replaced again at the same time. Probably good money after bad as
    they say.
    IF you’re thinking about getting the fuel strip replaced you might want to check w/your dealer...many offer a 1-year warranty on parts/labor on repair jobs they do - which would mean if the fuel strip died within 12 months they’d replace it again on their dime.

Had that happen up here in Portland...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hexhead Fuel Pump Recall; new one.

I have 2 RTs in the garage; an ‘06 and an ‘09.

I took the 06 in yesterday for inspection under the recall and the tech indicated the fuel pump did not need to be replaced; fuel pump flange was in excellent condition and had not had the (original) recall repair performed on it ...and no cracks of any kind.

I just dropped off my ‘09 this morning; I KNOW it’s been fitted with the reinforcing ring from the previous recall.

In speaking with my BMW tech there were apparently two different kinds of rings installed on the fuel pump flange; one had a little flat cut on the edge of it the other did not. Only one of those types according to the recall paperwork will trigger a fuel pump replacement (providing the flange isn’t cracked...which would trigger replacement anyway).

The quickest way for the tech to inspect it is to pull off the left side panel which only takes a couple of screws or bolts and use a flashlight and an inspection mirror and look at the flange and ring. Here are the two types of rings:

Waiting for the call this afternoon from the dealer to find out if they will have it for a couple of weeks - which they would if they have to order the replacement fuel pump.

Updated previous post with addtl info and pics.

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rangemaster View Post
    Updated previous post with addtl info and pics
    Which one triggers the recall - with flat or without flat?

My impression is they were replacing all. I guess they had a change of heart.
    My Motorrad Blog
    My Motorrad YouTube
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Received notices in the mail today for my '12 RT, Mfg.12/11 as well as my '12 1600GT, Mfg. 7/11.

Mine is in getting replaced this week. 2011 RT
    Shawn Conver
    K4CTD
    2011 R1200RT, 2018 Cummins 2500, 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    Which one triggers the recall - with flat or without flat?
    Per rangemaster's information and pictures, two dealers I have spoken with in the last two weeks confirm, via recent documentation and pictures provided by BMW, the sleeve with the little flat side triggers the recall. The dealer still has to inspect the bike to confirm it. I guess either no sleeve or a previously installed sleeve without the flat side would qualify if a leak exists currently.

My 2011 RT had the previous fuel pump recall done in 2014, which involved installing a sleeve with the little flat side. That repair shows up with a specific code in the bike's history, and that code indicates which sleeve was installed--the one with the flat side. My dealer pulled up the history and confirmed that the history indicates the flat-sided sleeve was installed, qualifying the bike for the recall. They said they still need to physically inspect the bike, and upon confirmation of the qualifying sleeve they will install a new fuel pump per the recall parameters.

Last summer I repaired a leaking fuel inlet quick disconnect and took pictures of the repairs, clearly indicating the sleeve with the little flat side, although at the time there was no recall in effect. I showed those pictures to my dealer last week and they said they still need to inspect the bike before proceeding with the recall. I will have that inspection done late this week and then they should be able to complete the recall repairs.

It sounds like the dealers finally have some finite direction and documentation in hand from BMW on how to address this recall, things I found missing in my earlier inquiries about having my bike fixed. Hopefully now everyone is on the same page.

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Thanks for this info.