• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hexhead Fuel Pump Recall; new one.

rangemaster

Those of us with hexhead bikes remember the “fuel flange “recall from a few years back.

The original problem was the composite flange at the quick disconnect coming out of the fuel pump assembly was flexing due to pressurization and depressurization of the system and developing cracks around the base. The fix in that last recall was to place a metal retainer clamp/ring flange over the plastic flange to reinforce it and to eliminate or mitigate any cracks.

Well apparently that fix wasn’t good enough; in the mail today from BMW I got a recall letter saying if you had that recall done, they want to replace the fuel pump. Apparently there have been more reports of leaks and that metal flange didn’t solve the problem.

Also of note is the line “no remedy available yet “ - which means to me that they either have to put a different style fuel pump assembly in - or they are building up enough parts up to send out to the dealers.

I will post a copy of the letter when I get home. It affects a number of bikes...not just 05-09 RTs...

I had that recall done on my last R1200RT, I can’t recall if it’s been done on this one. I’m going to pop the side panels off and inspect it. Either way, if it’s not leaking now I won’t quit riding it, just wait for the fix and inspect at regular intervals.

I expect I’m good for right now, because I haven’t smelled gasoline at any time while the bike is running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received official notification today--from BMW of North America, LLC--of my 2011 R1200RT being within the parameters of the new fuel pump recall #20V-471.

To quote about the 3rd bullet point: "What will BMW do? When the remedy is available, the fuel pump will be replaced for FREE (emphasis mine, it is underlined for emphasis in the letter) and should take about an hour."

I asked my dealer today about the process and the service manager told me, and I think based on information she has received from BMW, that unless the fuel pump is leaking now, or the previous recall repair involving the metal sleeve is leaking, the fuel pump is not eligible for free replacement. I did not argue with her at this point, as it was obvious she was only relaying information and guidance she had received from someone else. She had an old fuel pump on her desk and used it to indicate what areas might be eligible for the recall were they leaking now. Someone had obviously schooled her on what to look for when inspecting a bike for potential recall eligibility. I imagine there will be some initial discrepancy in interpreting the recall, and that all will work out once everyone gets on the same page.

My bike had the previous fuel pump recall performed in 2014, and the metal sleeve was installed and the entire fuel pump was not replaced.
About two months ago, I smelled a fuel leak and found the quick-disconnect on the main fuel line going into the top of the fuel tank leaking. I replaced it with new SS ones from BeemerBoneyard. I have no idea if that leak was related to the other problems with the fuel system or not.

I think the language of the recall is pretty clear and that I will get a new fuel pump when parts are available. Until then I will continue to ride and keep a "nose" out for gas fumes, or flames shooting up out of the fairing. :)

Last edited:
Yes that is what I interpreted from the notice saying the the fuel pump would be replaced. I have a 2010RT and had the flange replaced on mine. I had taken it in for regular service and they called me back to the shop and showed me fuel dripping out the side of the fairing. They didn't have the parts in stock and fortunately sent me home on a loaner bike. If they indeed replace all the fuel pumps on every bike affected it will certainly take a long time to manufacture a replacement pump. In the meantime I wonder if I have another flange crack will they fix it or make me wait for the pump replacement. I just realized it is 10 years old, may be a good time to trade :banghead

It’s pretty obvious by the verbiage of the Safety Recall Report...if you had a ring installed under the previous recall, they owe you a fuel pump:

a1a74c3ef24348003b8bc9c0795e3e44.jpg

And if you had to have one replaced prior to this recall you might be eligible for reimbursement as well...

It will be interesting to see what the changes are in the “improved version”...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From the NHTSA website, here's the information which BMW NA sent out to dealers:

"Recall 20V-471 Fuel Pump R1200, K1200, K1300, K1600, S1000RR, HP2
Model Years 2005-2011

BMW Motorrad is announcing a Safety Recall (20V-471) for Model Year 2005-2011 BMW R12000 / K1200/1300/1600, S1000RR, and HP2 models in the US that were subject to Safety Recall 13V-617 and had the fuel pump repaired with the support ring. Motorcycles subject to 13V-617 in which the fuel pump was replaced are not affected.

Please note that vehicles have not yet been flagged with this recall. We will notify dealers once the campaign flag has been put into place. A Q&A document has been attached for your reference when responding to customer inquires. If an affected vehicle is at your dealership that is currently experiencing a leak, please create a standard TSARA case. Further information will be published in a Service Information in the next coming weeks.

Aftersales, Motorrad Dealer Direct, Recalls Aug 24, 2020"

Thanks for posting this info, and especially for posting the actual BMW notices. I am not the original owner of my 2006 R1200RT. Is there a way to get registered with BMW so that I receive the recall alerts, etc.?

Thanks for posting this info, and especially for posting the actual BMW notices. I am not the original owner of my 2006 R1200RT. Is there a way to get registered with BMW so that I receive the recall alerts, etc.?

Masegraves, et al - I think that to insure that BMW NA has you in their system, I'd do two things. First, have your VIN number in front of you, and call BMW NA Customer Service at 800-831-1117. You'll be able to speak with a CS rep and he/she will take take down the last 7 digits of your VIN and incorporate that into the system. I'd then follow that with a brief note (maybe a postcard would suffice) to the CS address in New Jersey BMW HQ. Here is a screenshot of the CS information from the BMW website:

Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 10.13.26 AM.png

After that, you can check on the recall status of your motorcycle on the BMW NA website. You can enter the last seven digits of your VIN or the entire VIN. Here's the URL for that check: https://nhtsa.bmwgroup.com/safetyrecall/pages/motorradRecallSearch.xhtml

Finally, you can check the NHTSA website (using your VIN) to see if your bike is on the official recall list. Here's that URL: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

To add to the thread. Just because you got a notice doesn’t mean your bike is involved in the recall. I received the notice, called BMW Customer Service, and gave her the VIN. My 2010 RT is not part of the recall.

I left the old recall open on my '05 ST as it involves a fuel pump replacement and I had already had my indie install the Beemer Boneyard clamp. So now I'll have to see how the second recall unfolds. I'd like to leave the current pump in there as long as it's working.

From the NHTSA website, here's the information which BMW NA sent out to dealers:

"Recall 20V-471 Fuel Pump R1200, K1200, K1300, K1600, S1000RR, HP2
Model Years 2005-2011

BMW Motorrad is announcing a Safety Recall (20V-471) for Model Year 2005-2011 BMW R12000 / K1200/1300/1600, S1000RR, and HP2 models in the US that were subject to Safety Recall 13V-617 and had the fuel pump repaired with the support ring. Motorcycles subject to 13V-617 in which the fuel pump was replaced are not affected.

Please note that vehicles have not yet been flagged with this recall. We will notify dealers once the campaign flag has been put into place. A Q&A document has been attached for your reference when responding to customer inquires. If an affected vehicle is at your dealership that is currently experiencing a leak, please create a standard TSARA case. Further information will be published in a Service Information in the next coming weeks.

Aftersales, Motorrad Dealer Direct, Recalls Aug 24, 2020"

Interesting...my letter from BMW (w/my VIN) goes thru most of that.

A subsequent call to BMW indicated:

1. My bike DID have recall 13V-617 performed and the ring installed.

2. My bike is subject to recall 20V-471 and will be getting the pump replaced...

To add to the thread. Just because you got a notice doesn’t mean your bike is involved in the recall. I received the notice, called BMW Customer Service, and gave her the VIN. My 2010 RT is not part of the recall.

Interesting information.

When I entered my VIN # in the www.nhtsa.gov/recall site, I was informed that my bike was subject to the recall. Then I received the "official" notification in the mail from BMW of North America, LLC, which specifically states at the top, right under the block print headline banner IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL printed in RED INK, that "This notice applies to your motorcycle, vin numberxxx. Recall Campaign No. 20V-471: Fuel Pump."

Then the notice is probably like yours, relating the problem and the fact that even bikes repaired under the previous recall 13V-617, involving the metal support ring, will have the fuel pump replaced for FREE! My bike had that support ring recall/repair done in 2014, without the fuel pump being replaced.

Seems pretty plain to me. However, I am going to call the BMW number and verify my situation.

Thanks for posting your experience.

So, my 2012 RT was not subject to the original recall and had no problems.

Due to Coronavirus and other excuses, it sat without running for about a year and when I started it last month fuel gushed out.

I paid for a new fuel pump.

I'm saving my receipt for what that will accomplish.

PS: if a 2010 and a 2011 are subject to the recall, it's a Hexhead and Camhead recall.

Has any else with a bike subject to this fuel pump recall been told by a BMW dealer that the bike's current fuel pump must be currently leaking in order to qualify for the free repair/replacement under the recall?

Seems like it's pretty clear. Here's the direct quotation from NHTSA:

"BMW Motorrad is announcing a Safety Recall (20V-471) for Model Year 2005-2011 BMW R12000 / K1200/1300/1600, S1000RR, and HP2 models in the US that were subject to Safety Recall 13V-617 and had the fuel pump repaired with the support ring. Motorcycles subject to 13V-617 in which the fuel pump was replaced are not affected."

no. My dealer took my information and once BMW had come up with the fix, they emailed me and asked me to make an appointment.

You can also get reimbursed from BMW if you paid for replacement of a leaking fuel pump prior to the current recall. The failed pump must have had reinforcement ring installed by the earlier recall.
You need to have the dealer you paid to replace the leaking pump file a claim for you with BMW. BMW will send the dealer compensation and the dealer will then send you a check.
Just got a check for a 2008 K1200GT fuel pump leak/replacement that happened at the 2019 rally in Lebanon TN.

Fuel leak in pump area

Yes that is what I interpreted from the notice saying the the fuel pump would be replaced. I have a 2010RT and had the flange replaced on mine. I had taken it in for regular service and they called me back to the shop and showed me fuel dripping out the side of the fairing. They didn't have the parts in stock and fortunately sent me home on a loaner bike. If they indeed replace all the fuel pumps on every bike affected it will certainly take a long time to manufacture a replacement pump. In the meantime I wonder if I have another flange crack will they fix it or make me wait for the pump replacement. I just realized it is 10 years old, may be a good time to trade :banghead

I also received the same letter but experienced a leak in this area, in August 2020 on a trip thru Wyoming, Montana and s. Dakota, going over the Bear Tooth. When I tore it apart I found the fuel disconnects were leaking, so I ordered the metal replacement parts from Beemer Bone Yard to replace the OEM plastic ones. Good to go now but waiting on second letter of BMWs fix for the recalled pump. My 1st recal was dome in 2013...

Back