• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hexhead Fuel Pump Recall; new one.

I got a fuel pump recall letter. I have a 2012 RT Apparently only 2000 out of 21000 bikes are affected. They checked my bike and it was ok. While I was there the service guy said there is a tech notice on the multi function switches and they will replace them for free! I assume it is not considered a recall since it doesn't affect safety. They replaced the left and right switches on my bike. If you are having a problem with the switches check with the dealer because they don't send send a letter on a tech notice!

Exact same thing for me. (2103 RT)

I received my letter, called the dealer, and they said that the pump is to be changed and both switchs also.

Actually waiting for a pump to show up at my dealer to have my appoinment.

World Wide backorder

2011 R12RT...Called two weeks ago to get the ball rolling on this replacement. Called me back same day and said its gonna be a while for the part to come in. Suggested June....Ok no problem, currently not leaking, scheduled...Got a call today, part is on world wide back order, not sure your part will be here for the June appointment...call the week before to ensure the part is in stock...WWS!

I had to replace my leaking fuel pump during a trip a few years ago and the dealer did a great job getting me in and fixed quick so I could make the wedding I was heading to but he said it didn’t qualify for the recall at that time. I didn’t have time to argue and was just thankful to not be stuck on the road. I ended up with one that looks like #1 with the full metal ring around the plastic flange for the QD. Wonder why I got a recall notice then if that one isn’t covered? Seems strange they wouldn’t track that upgrade.

Took my 07RT in for service and as expected my fuel pump did not qualify for the recall. I was relieved actually since I converted my fuel strip to a float and wasn’t sure how we would navigate that if the pump needed to be changed.

Just had my recall done this am.
BMW Canada
2013 GSA Camhead.
Both pumps replaced (pressure and transfer) $1200cad in parts

Tech advised BMW changed from the inspection directive to a blanket replacement directive of all affected bikes about a month ago.
Caught all the dealers of guard as the recalls were sent out before replacement pumps were available.
All rolling well now with stock available.
The new pumps look the same as the old including the ring on the flange. I asked what the difference was and was told it was a new formula of plastic.
I'm thrilled - new Pumps @ 90,000km :clap

Attachments

• Recall Parts.jpg
    Recall Parts.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 177
JTech advised BMW changed from the inspection directive to a blanket replacement directive of all affected bikes about a month ago.

Damn... I really hope this is not the case. I've got two in the garage that passed my inspection per the SIB. HUGE logistical issue getting both of them to a dealer.... plus I've never had a hassle free experience with them.

Might pull both tanks and take them in with titles to prove VIN... they should love that. Charge BMW for the full procedure when only needing to do part of it.

Damn... I really hope this is not the case. I've got two in the garage that passed my inspection per the SIB. HUGE logistical issue getting both of them to a dealer.... plus I've never had a hassle free experience with them.

Might pull both tanks and take them in with titles to prove VIN... they should love that. Charge BMW for the full procedure when only needing to do part of it.

Had five bikes the first time, dealer wanted complete bike when I asked about bringing tank only.

Thx... good info. I'll give it a shot anyway. Regardless, understanding the problem I'm no hurry to get it done.... may even let the next owners deal with it.

Anyone know if there is an expiration date on these type of recalls?

fuel pump recall

Got my recall notice in March for 2012 RT. I called the local dealer, gave him the info, and was told yes, it was part of the recall, that a replacement pump would be ordered and installed at no cost to me. They called me back in April and explained the back order situation and didn't expect to receive the parts until June, and they would notify me when they arrived to set up an appointment. I told them I wouldn't be here in June (rally) to get the work done. I was told not to worry, as long as it wasn't leaking, that the pump is ordered vin specific and would remain on the shelf until I returned. Was the service manager blowing smoke?

Thx... good info. I'll give it a shot anyway. Regardless, understanding the problem I'm no hurry to get it done.... may even let the next owners deal with it.

Anyone know if there is an expiration date on these type of recalls?

Looking at various websites, it seems that you've got ten years from the time the recall was issued to get the work done.

Unintended consequences: recall done fuel pump replaced, then new pump failed

'09 RT: Recall replacement done in February this year. No problem until after a 30 mile ride to a job site, bike was parked for about 5 hours. Ready to go bike starts, then stalls and dies before getting out of the parking lot. Turns over but won't start. Get roadside assisted back to house. GS911 shows 2 fault codes, 10167: output stage to electric fuel pump faulty, and 10443: fuse activated for electric fuel pump. Couldn't imagine the fuel pump expiring after 5 months so suspected the fuel pump controller. Nope-eliminated that possibility by swapping FPC from my '11 GS (identical part).
Into the dealer she went. In at noon, by 5 they called to advise they had replaced fuel pump and bike was ready to go. 24 month parts warranty on 'original' recall replacement so no cost. Dealer notes include: "the pump has mechanically failed and will need to be replaced."
Happy days. Just thankful I was only 10 miles from home, but confidence slightly shaken in replacement pump.

Last edited:
are the new pumps coming in?

Has anyone received a new pump? My bike is dead and sitting at the dealer. The pump was supposed to come in at the end of June. They called this week and they don't know when the pump will come in. I don't know if I will get my bike back this summer. Not happy with BMW. All the recent recalls have back the dealer up so it takes 10-12 weeks to get you bike in for service. I know the dealer is frustrated.

fuel pump recall

my still at dealer for month had to have it towed in bmw paid the bill called dealer to be sure it got there he was not happy it was towed in

Depends how you interpret it - either he's unhappy that BMW paid for the tow, or maybe that dealer had to pay it and then file for reimbursement, and/or they have a dead bike taking up space until the part shows up.
In the end, tho, it don't really matter...

I have a customer bike awaiting this replacement and the dealership tells me they are months behind on the availability of new pumps.

I have never seen a “real” picture of one of these pump assemblies. Many times the actual pump can be crossed to a sub-assembly actual pump from a company like Airtex.
Maybe an owner doesn’t want to sorta do it twice but may save the riding season.
OM

I have never seen a “real” picture of one of these pump assemblies. Many times the actual pump can be crossed to a sub-assembly actual pump from a company like Airtex.
Maybe an owner doesn’t want to sorta do it twice but may save the riding season.
OM

My bike is having various issues with the fueling and surging. I will not ride it because it is dangerous the way it is. The last time I rode it the engine cut our in the middle of a large intersection. Not good. It did restart and I got it moving but it died again, but I was able to pull the clutch in and get out of the intersection. I do have a second bike so the riding season is not lost. I would have purchased a new RT if they had one in stock but my dealer has presold the ones coming in. My dealer is also backed with service for 2.5 months. This happened with all the recalls that BMW has had. I know that the entire motorcycle industry is a bit crazy not. Even the big Harley dealer that always had about 30 to 50 new bikes and 50-75 used bikes, they are lucky if they have 10 new bikes. The huge showroom is empty and Harley is not shipping many bikes out to them.

Back