Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Hexhead Fuel Pump Recall; new one.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp3 View Post
    I got a fuel pump recall letter. I have a 2012 RT Apparently only 2000 out of 21000 bikes are affected. They checked my bike and it was ok. While I was there the service guy said there is a tech notice on the multi function switches and they will replace them for free! I assume it is not considered a recall since it doesn't affect safety. They replaced the left and right switches on my bike. If you are having a problem with the switches check with the dealer because they don't send send a letter on a tech notice!
    Exact same thing for me. (2103 RT)

I received my letter, called the dealer, and they said that the pump is to be changed and both switchs also.

Actually waiting for a pump to show up at my dealer to have my appoinment.
    2013 R1200RT

I will never ride enough

World Wide backorder

2011 R12RT...Called two weeks ago to get the ball rolling on this replacement. Called me back same day and said its gonna be a while for the part to come in. Suggested June....Ok no problem, currently not leaking, scheduled...Got a call today, part is on world wide back order, not sure your part will be here for the June appointment...call the week before to ensure the part is in stock...WWS!

SPCLED

2011 R1200RT

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    I had to replace my leaking fuel pump during a trip a few years ago and the dealer did a great job getting me in and fixed quick so I could make the wedding I was heading to but he said it didn’t qualify for the recall at that time. I didn’t have time to argue and was just thankful to not be stuck on the road. I ended up with one that looks like #1 with the full metal ring around the plastic flange for the QD. Wonder why I got a recall notice then if that one isn’t covered? Seems strange they wouldn’t track that upgrade.
    Took my 07RT in for service and as expected my fuel pump did not qualify for the recall. I was relieved actually since I converted my fuel strip to a float and wasn’t sure how we would navigate that if the pump needed to be changed.

Just had my recall done this am.
    BMW Canada
    2013 GSA Camhead.
    Both pumps replaced (pressure and transfer) $1200cad in parts

Tech advised BMW changed from the inspection directive to a blanket replacement directive of all affected bikes about a month ago.
    Caught all the dealers of guard as the recalls were sent out before replacement pumps were available.
    All rolling well now with stock available.
    The new pumps look the same as the old including the ring on the flange. I asked what the difference was and was told it was a new formula of plastic.
    I'm thrilled - new Pumps @ 90,000km
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    JTech advised BMW changed from the inspection directive to a blanket replacement directive of all affected bikes about a month ago.
    Damn... I really hope this is not the case. I've got two in the garage that passed my inspection per the SIB. HUGE logistical issue getting both of them to a dealer.... plus I've never had a hassle free experience with them.

Might pull both tanks and take them in with titles to prove VIN... they should love that. Charge BMW for the full procedure when only needing to do part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by GIARCG View Post
    Damn... I really hope this is not the case. I've got two in the garage that passed my inspection per the SIB. HUGE logistical issue getting both of them to a dealer.... plus I've never had a hassle free experience with them.

Might pull both tanks and take them in with titles to prove VIN... they should love that. Charge BMW for the full procedure when only needing to do part of it.
    Had five bikes the first time, dealer wanted complete bike when I asked about bringing tank only.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Thx... good info. I'll give it a shot anyway. Regardless, understanding the problem I'm no hurry to get it done.... may even let the next owners deal with it.

Anyone know if there is an expiration date on these type of recalls?

fuel pump recall

Got my recall notice in March for 2012 RT. I called the local dealer, gave him the info, and was told yes, it was part of the recall, that a replacement pump would be ordered and installed at no cost to me. They called me back in April and explained the back order situation and didn't expect to receive the parts until June, and they would notify me when they arrived to set up an appointment. I told them I wouldn't be here in June (rally) to get the work done. I was told not to worry, as long as it wasn't leaking, that the pump is ordered vin specific and would remain on the shelf until I returned. Was the service manager blowing smoke?

Looks like the dealer has to supply a VIN in order to get a replacement unit. You can look at the various documents involved in this recall by going to the NHTSA URL: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2012/B...2520RT#recalls

I think this URL (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...1V060-3622.pdf) will take you to the PDF which outlines the dealer procedures including photos of the parts being fixed.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison 2018-Present
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo-via Walt Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by GIARCG View Post
    Thx... good info. I'll give it a shot anyway. Regardless, understanding the problem I'm no hurry to get it done.... may even let the next owners deal with it.

Anyone know if there is an expiration date on these type of recalls?
    Looking at various websites, it seems that you've got ten years from the time the recall was issued to get the work done.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison 2018-Present
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo-via Walt Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Looking at various websites, it seems that you've got ten years from the time the recall was issued to get the work done.
    That'll work...Thx

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Looks like the dealer has to supply a VIN in order to get a replacement unit. You can look at the various documents involved in this recall by going to the NHTSA URL: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2012/B...2520RT#recalls

I think this URL (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...1V060-3622.pdf) will take you to the PDF which outlines the dealer procedures including photos of the parts being fixed.
    That is the way mine was handled.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.