• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hexhead Fuel Pump Recall; new one.

I had to replace my leaking fuel pump during a trip a few years ago and the dealer did a great job getting me in and fixed quick so I could make the wedding I was heading to but he said it didn’t qualify for the recall at that time. I didn’t have time to argue and was just thankful to not be stuck on the road. I ended up with one that looks like #1 with the full metal ring around the plastic flange for the QD. Wonder why I got a recall notice then if that one isn’t covered? Seems strange they wouldn’t track that upgrade.

Thanks John,

That is the picture and information I was advised of by two dealers within the last month, which clarifies the situation. Prior to that, I could not get a straight answer, going back to when I received the original recall notice, from anyone about the parameters determining the application of the recall. I don't know when this information became available to dealers, but I am glad that it is now available to everyone.

All is good now. I will ride the 15 miles to my dealer on the next pretty day for them to physically "inspect" my bike, acknowledge the fact that the sleeve with the small flat cutout was in fact installed during the previous recall, thus qualifying it for a free pump replacement, and have them install a new fuel pump and be finished with the recall.

All's well that ends well. Thanks for the link and help!

I'm glad to hear that you're on your way to resolution. I think most people are not familiar with the NHTSA recall website. I think that a lot of years working in finding minutia gave me a tolerance for wading through dense language in government documents and procedures. Occasionally that history is helpful. Please let all of us know how it worked out for you srmRT.

Phoned the dealer to make my appointment for replacement fuel pump only to be told they are back ordered.
So I’m on a holding pattern...

Those of us with hexhead bikes remember the “fuel flange “recall from a few years back.

The original problem was the composite flange at the quick disconnect coming out of the fuel pump assembly was flexing due to pressurization and depressurization of the system and developing cracks around the base. The fix in that last recall was to place a metal retainer clamp/ring flange over the plastic flange to reinforce it and to eliminate or mitigate any cracks.

Well apparently that fix wasn’t good enough; in the mail today from BMW I got a recall letter saying if you had that recall done, they want to replace the fuel pump. Apparently there have been more reports of leaks and that metal flange didn’t solve the problem.

Also of note is the line “no remedy available yet “ - which means to me that they either have to put a different style fuel pump assembly in - or they are building up enough parts up to send out to the dealers.

I will post a copy of the letter when I get home. It affects a number of bikes...not just 05-09 RTs...

I had that recall done on my last R1200RT, I can’t recall if it’s been done on this one. I’m going to pop the side panels off and inspect it. Either way, if it’s not leaking now I won’t quit riding it, just wait for the fix and inspect at regular intervals.

I expect I’m good for right now, because I haven’t smelled gasoline at any time while the bike is running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
I have a 08 R12R and had the metal ring update early on. Last September I was in California when the pump started leaking. I was not aware of the recall at the time. I bought a new pump and replaced it myself. The metal ring on the new pump was different, new and improved?? When I got home I found the recall from BMW. I took the pump and recall letter to my dealer here in AZ. They processed it as a warranty issue and I received a check from BMW. I got to keep the old pump and to me it looks like the sealant on the screw-in fitting failed as the fitting was only finger tight when I removed it. I may fuss around with some different sealant as otherwise the pump is in good condition. I my opinion the quick disconnect should be molded into the plastic pump body.
My dealer is also a Triumph dealer, and Triumph uses a similar pump with the same metal ring that also leaks.

I got to keep the old pump and to me it looks like the sealant on the screw-in fitting failed as the fitting was only finger tight when I removed it.

FYI - I replaced my QD's with the kit from beemerboneyard and their instructions for installing that fitting were smear sealant on threads and let sit for at least an hour then install finger tight then another half turn but no more with a wrench.

Those of us with hexhead bikes remember the “fuel flange “recall from a few years back.

The original problem was the composite flange at the quick disconnect coming out of the fuel pump assembly was flexing due to pressurization and depressurization of the system and developing cracks around the base.

The fact that the original design on some models had a tapered "pipe thread" fitting screwed into a plastic housing didn't help things much. When I studied physics in high school 60 years ago, even then it was recognized what this wedging action might lead to.

The fact that the original design on some models had a tapered "pipe thread" fitting screwed into a plastic housing didn't help things much. When I studied physics in high school 60 years ago, even then it was recognized what this wedging action might lead to.

Absolutely!
The same applies to plastic irrigation valves. They are very easy to split if tightened a hair too much.
The flange should be a straight thread with an O ring.

Make sure they have Parts in hand

Just a word of warning about the latest recall.

I have a 2005 R1200RT that is part of the recall. Luckily the new pump for my bike will be at my dealer next Friday. It looks like it will only take 10 days to get it. Meanwhile, my bike sits at that dealer in pieces during the first nice week of riding. I have been told that I was lucky that the parts where in stock.The recall covers 116,000 bikes. I was told that the pumps for the K1600s are on back order until June.

Before you take or bike in, make sure the dealer has the part for your motorcycle.

This is not a good example of German organization or planning. Best of luck to everyone.

I called my dealer after getting the second letter on the recall. The service manager pulled up the VIN and said they would order a pump to make sure they had one on hand, then called me about 10 days later when the pump arrived. I took the bike in and killed time in the showroom while they addressed the recall, which did not take long at all. Easy peasy. The dealership doesn’t want stripped bikes hanging around any more than the customer does, as they are tight on space and bikes waiting for parts have to be moved in and out of the shop area every day. So yes, call first and have the dealer verify by VIN that they have a pump if needed.

Best,
DeVern

2013 R1200GS Fuel Pump Recall Canada

Interesting, I received my BMW Motorrad Canada recall in the mail today. On the French side, it says they will replace the Fuel Pump, it will take about an hour, and it will be free. On the English side, it just says the work will be performed free of charge ..and will take approximately one hour. No mention of what the work actually is. I guess I want to book the French recall.

I also ran my VIN, and as of today, there are no open recalls on the bike. Time to call the Dealer...

Interesting, I received my BMW Motorrad Canada recall in the mail today. On the French side, it says they will replace the Fuel Pump, it will take about an hour, and it will be free. On the English side, it just says the work will be performed free of charge ..and will take approximately one hour. No mention of what the work actually is. I guess I want to book the French recall.

I also ran my VIN, and as of today, there are no open recalls on the bike. Time to call the Dealer...

Interesting....not contact yet for my '13 GSA.
English or French

My bike is not on recall list.

Edit: Just got the recall letter today 4/12/21

Last edited:

Isn't a 2013 GS a Wethead? This would be the first I've heard of the pump flange leak affecting a K5x model.

There is an overlap

R1200GS 10-13 (K25)
Production: 10/08-09/12 USA

R1200GS ADV 10-13 (K255)
Production: 10/08-07/13 USA

R1200GSW 13-15 (K50)
Production: 10/11-11/16 USA

R1200GSW ADV 14-15 (K51)
Production: 09/12-07/18 USA

Isn't a 2013 GS a Wethead? This would be the first I've heard of the pump flange leak affecting a K5x model.

There were some early "2013" units that had not converted over yet. Mine is a 2013 Rallye Edition but for all mechanical purposes, it is a 2012. I believe there were some "double black" models as well. As far as I can see, they were simply 2012 models with additional bells and whistles added to hold BMW over until the Wetheads came out later in the year. I had been considering a used 2012 when my Dealer offered me a good price on the Rallye to move it. Most people were holding out for the Wethead at the time.

To add some information to the fuel pump recall thread, my 2011RT is due a fuel pump replacement and my dealer has ordered one for me, although they told me yesterday that it would probably not be available until maybe July, due to a backlog of supply from BMW.

Mine is not currently leaking so that is not a problem for now. It did leak last year and I replaced the supply-side QD with a stainless-steel one from beemerboneyard, prior to any announcement of the current fuel pump recall.

I don't know that this fuel pump availability applies to all of the various models involved in the recall, just that is applies to my bike.

Hopefully, supply will ramp up and repairs can be completed in a more timely manner than a two to three month wait.

Just got a recall today in BC Canada.
2013/04 GSA

There are no recalls on the BMW Canada Recall lookup for this bike.

Last edited:

Made my appointment yesterday 2013GSA
Service rep confirmed both pumps will be replaced.

fuel pump recall

I got a fuel pump recall letter. I have a 2012 RT Apparently only 2000 out of 21000 bikes are affected. They checked my bike and it was ok. While I was there the service guy said there is a tech notice on the multi function switches and they will replace them for free! I assume it is not considered a recall since it doesn't affect safety. They replaced the left and right switches on my bike. If you are having a problem with the switches check with the dealer because they don't send send a letter on a tech notice!

Back