• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hexhead Fuel Pump Recall; new one.

Received the recall letter last week and debating about having the defective fuel strip replaced again at the same time. Probably good money after bad as
they say.

Received the recall letter last week and debating about having the defective fuel strip replaced again at the same time. Probably good money after bad as
they say.

IF you’re thinking about getting the fuel strip replaced you might want to check w/your dealer...many offer a 1-year warranty on parts/labor on repair jobs they do - which would mean if the fuel strip died within 12 months they’d replace it again on their dime.

Had that happen up here in Portland...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have 2 RTs in the garage; an ‘06 and an ‘09.

I took the 06 in yesterday for inspection under the recall and the tech indicated the fuel pump did not need to be replaced; fuel pump flange was in excellent condition and had not had the (original) recall repair performed on it ...and no cracks of any kind.

I just dropped off my ‘09 this morning; I KNOW it’s been fitted with the reinforcing ring from the previous recall.

In speaking with my BMW tech there were apparently two different kinds of rings installed on the fuel pump flange; one had a little flat cut on the edge of it the other did not. Only one of those types according to the recall paperwork will trigger a fuel pump replacement (providing the flange isn’t cracked...which would trigger replacement anyway).

The quickest way for the tech to inspect it is to pull off the left side panel which only takes a couple of screws or bolts and use a flashlight and an inspection mirror and look at the flange and ring. Here are the two types of rings:

5a92d4b29f9d9bad774a1ea4bd8ed68b.jpg

0505bfdeb15c01569c4438f77f45025e.jpg

Waiting for the call this afternoon from the dealer to find out if they will have it for a couple of weeks - which they would if they have to order the replacement fuel pump.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Which one triggers the recall - with flat or without flat?

Per rangemaster's information and pictures, two dealers I have spoken with in the last two weeks confirm, via recent documentation and pictures provided by BMW, the sleeve with the little flat side triggers the recall. The dealer still has to inspect the bike to confirm it. I guess either no sleeve or a previously installed sleeve without the flat side would qualify if a leak exists currently.

My 2011 RT had the previous fuel pump recall done in 2014, which involved installing a sleeve with the little flat side. That repair shows up with a specific code in the bike's history, and that code indicates which sleeve was installed--the one with the flat side. My dealer pulled up the history and confirmed that the history indicates the flat-sided sleeve was installed, qualifying the bike for the recall. They said they still need to physically inspect the bike, and upon confirmation of the qualifying sleeve they will install a new fuel pump per the recall parameters.

Last summer I repaired a leaking fuel inlet quick disconnect and took pictures of the repairs, clearly indicating the sleeve with the little flat side, although at the time there was no recall in effect. I showed those pictures to my dealer last week and they said they still need to inspect the bike before proceeding with the recall. I will have that inspection done late this week and then they should be able to complete the recall repairs.

It sounds like the dealers finally have some finite direction and documentation in hand from BMW on how to address this recall, things I found missing in my earlier inquiries about having my bike fixed. Hopefully now everyone is on the same page.

I'm sorry, I must be super dense - is the arrow pointing to the "flat side" or am I missing something? Are there two different part numbers? Max only lists one as I don't see any part number superseding one over the other.

16116760285_3_B.jpg

So slight diversion: I received my notification today with the VIN stating I am subject to the recall. I had a cracked quick disconnect a couple of years ago and upgraded both sides to metal QD which was a moderate pain due to amount of Tupperware removal to get to everything. I’m guessing that if the dealership replaces the pump I’ll be back to plastic and subject to that failure again. Has anyone else had this situation? Thinking I should at minimum be able to have the metal fittings returned by the dealer so I can go through the exercise of replacing them again??

The QD is not part of the fuel pump and I would expect a dealer to re-use the QD that is installed in the fuel pump when it arrives for service.

Thanks for this info.

To clarify, the BMW info showed three different scenarios regarding sleeves: 1) no sleeve having been previously installed, 2) the sleeve with the small flat place having been installed under previous recall, and 3) a sleeve with a round bottom edge and no flat place.

If I remember correctly, the first two trigger a recall automatically, with no requirement for a current leak, and after dealer's inspection.

I think they said the third type of sleeve, with a round bottom edge with no flat space, does not automatically trigger a recall repair at this time unless it is currently leaking upon inspection. I would assume that were a sleeve of that type to ever leak, it would then qualify for the repairs to be made under the terms of the recall.

Took both of the R1200RTs in the garage to the dealer 2 weeks ago...

The 2005 passed (but I changed out the fuel pump 18 months ago with a used unit that was Condition 1...see below) my 2009 RT had the ring installed under the previous recall campaign and was Condition 2 so the dealer replaced the pump, etc. under warranty.

418c9799ed830560c203ddbe1315a0f3.jpg

Had mine done, replaced the pump, but nicked my front fender. They agreed to repaint it, I dropped it off yesterday, the front fender that is.

srmRT - You could take a look at the NHTSA website and this PDF which is visible there to understand the situation: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCRIT-20V471-9083.pdf

Thanks John,

That is the picture and information I was advised of by two dealers within the last month, which clarifies the situation. Prior to that, I could not get a straight answer, going back to when I received the original recall notice, from anyone about the parameters determining the application of the recall. I don't know when this information became available to dealers, but I am glad that it is now available to everyone.

All is good now. I will ride the 15 miles to my dealer on the next pretty day for them to physically "inspect" my bike, acknowledge the fact that the sleeve with the small flat cutout was in fact installed during the previous recall, thus qualifying it for a free pump replacement, and have them install a new fuel pump and be finished with the recall.

All's well that ends well. Thanks for the link and help!

Back