• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

DIN Plug cord

jlhbmw14

2016 R1200RT
Looking for a din to coax compatible cord to connect heated liner to standard BMW socket. Spefically for a COILED CORD between 6 and 10 inches. If you know of one, please supply the link. Thanks

Socket cannot handle the amps

All heated gear installations that I am aware of get power from the battery directly, with some sort of relay and heat controller in the circuit. I have heard that the socket cannot reliably carry enough amps for heated gear; then canbus breaker trips. I have heard the socket is limited to 5 amps.

BTW, my heated gear draws 6 amps when fully "on."

Heated gear is wonderful. Good luck on your installation.

All heated gear installations that I am aware of get power from the battery directly, with some sort of relay and heat controller in the circuit. I have heard that the socket cannot reliably carry enough amps for heated gear; then canbus breaker trips. I have heard the socket is limited to 5 amps.

Thanks for the info.
I plan on just using the socket on side versus a separate pigtail. Re-routing wires underneath socket from battery directly to my HexEz.

Indeed the ZFE (not the CAN-bus) limits the accessory socket to 5 amps on several models.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

It is more efficient to directly hook heated gear to the battery. The dash plug will only do 5 amps and that isn't enough for a decent jacket and pants....
The very best thing to do is install a switched relay such as a Denali power hub or PDM60 or equivalent.. YMMV

2016 R1200RT
Looking for a din to coax compatible cord to connect heated liner to standard BMW socket. Spefically for a COILED CORD between 6 and 10 inches. If you know of one, please supply the link. Thanks

Do you mean this only with a coiled extension?

Or more like THIS

It is more efficient to directly hook heated gear to the battery. The dash plug will only do 5 amps and that isn't enough for a decent jacket and pants....
The very best thing to do is install a switched relay such as a Denali power hub or PDM60 or equivalent.. YMMV

Yes. I plan on routing din outlet wires to my HezEz which can handle 10amps. I'm just trying to avoid an additional pigtail hanging from the bike.

I just interested in a coiled din to coax versus the standard straight connecting cord

Wiring

Thanks for all the feedback related to the wiring and amps. I did not include in original post as not to confuse the issue. The din accessory outlet is going directly to my HexEz so amps are not going to be an issue. I just like the clean appearance with no extra pigtails hanging from the bike.

I'm looking for the din to coax cable that is for a heated liner but COILED. Thanks

Thanks for all the feedback related to the wiring and amps. I did not include in original post as not to confuse the issue. The din accessory outlet is going directly to my HexEz so amps are not going to be an issue. I just like the clean appearance with no extra pigtails hanging from the bike.

I'm looking for the din to coax cable that is for a heated liner but COILED. Thanks

Add a DIN to Coax adaptor to this coax cable. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BYQCZUC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMHO, avoiding the DIN connector with either a 12V coax or SAE connector will be cheaper

Last edited:
Thanks!!
Exactly what I need

Great. As an FYI, I tried to plug my heated jacket into the power outlet on the left-side of the pillion seat on my R1200RT. I thought that coiled extension would be perfect. But it turned out to be a PITA. I would usually forget to unplug it while getting off the motorcycle, and end up with it wrapped between my legs. Or, it was hard to grab after mounting up, and get plugged into my jacket.

I switched to a Coax extension wired directly to the battery, and sticking out between the front of my seat and the gas tank. During the summer when I don't use the heated gear, I fold it up and stow it down in front of the seat mount.

Cap

I was going to have my dealer connect the BMW outlet direct to the battery like I had done on my K1300S but I saw BMW moved the outlet to the right side of the bike.
I did not like the idea of laying the cord across my lap to reach the outlet on the right.
Most heated jacket have the cord on the left side of the jacket.

Great. As an FYI, I tried to plug my heated jacket into the power outlet on the left-side of the pillion seat on my R1200RT. I thought that coiled extension would be perfect. But it turned out to be a PITA. I would usually forget to unplug it while getting off the motorcycle, and end up with it wrapped between my legs. Or, it was hard to grab after mounting up, and get plugged into my jacket.

I switched to a Coax extension wired directly to the battery, and sticking out between the front of my seat and the gas tank. During the summer when I don't use the heated gear, I fold it up and stow it down in front of the seat mount.

Cap

Thanks
Most of my work life on a motor with push to talk boom Mic. Unplugging getting off is second nature. It almost feels unnatural without doing that. Thanks for the equipment advice

Back