• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

fan replacement in 2003 K1200GT & an altitude question

markfreebie

I ride a 2003 K1200GT that now has about 118,000 miles on it. I've owned it for the last 100,000 miles.

The bike has been nearly bulletproof, but I think I have found it's Achilles heel. The fans.

At about 65,000 miles that bike was overheating in heavy Toronto traffic and when I got home to Wisconsin my dealer replaced the two fans, a pricey repair job.

I just got back from a two-week ride in Colorado I noticed the bike's temp light was on when we were blitzing up mountain passes zipping past cars, but once we crested and started downhill it would cool off quickly. The fuse was fine.

I'm figure it's time to replace the fans again because I cannot hear them run.

My questions are:

1 -- After removing all the bodywork, how difficult it is to replace the fans? I can pick up some used ones for about $50, taken from a bike with 30K miles. New each fan is $308 for a total of $616. Ouch. If it's basic and I take it slow, I can usually fix stuff. Sometime I find the most difficult part is removing the bodywork.

2 -- When we are on the desolate high plains of Wyoming (8,000 feet) I couldn't get my bike above 122 mph (according to the GPS). At home at 700 feet above sea level I've done 141. I thought the less resistance of the thinner air would offset the horsepower loss. I guess I'm incorrect, right?

Thanks in advance

Mark Hoffman
Fond du Lac, Wis.

I don't think the fans help when running at speed.
Maybe the radiators need cleaned?

I noticed my bike ran hotter than normal when climbing grades in Colorado.

I ride a 2003 K1200GT that now has about 118,000 miles on it. I've owned it for the last 100,000 miles.

The bike has been nearly bulletproof, but I think I have found it's Achilles heel. The fans.

At about 65,000 miles that bike was overheating in heavy Toronto traffic and when I got home to Wisconsin my dealer replaced the two fans, a pricey repair job.

I just got back from a two-week ride in Colorado I noticed the bike's temp light was on when we were blitzing up mountain passes zipping past cars, but once we crested and started downhill it would cool off quickly. The fuse was fine.

I'm figure it's time to replace the fans again because I cannot hear them run.

My questions are:

1 -- After removing all the bodywork, how difficult it is to replace the fans? I can pick up some used ones for about $50, taken from a bike with 30K miles. New each fan is $308 for a total of $616. Ouch. If it's basic and I take it slow, I can usually fix stuff. Sometime I find the most difficult part is removing the bodywork.

2 -- When we are on the desolate high plains of Wyoming (8,000 feet) I couldn't get my bike above 122 mph (according to the GPS). At home at 700 feet above sea level I've done 141. I thought the less resistance of the thinner air would offset the horsepower loss. I guess I'm incorrect, right?

Thanks in advance

Mark Hoffman
Fond du Lac, Wis.

Mark,
I don't remember all of the details, but I had to change a fan on my 2003 K1200RS once, and it wasn't that bad of a job. Yes, you have to take off a bunch of stuff, and I think one side is a bit more work than the other, but if you basically competent with tools you should be fine.

As to your top speed reduction at elevation, I'm not surprised. A quick scan of the 'net says that from 1,000 feet to 8,000 feet there is a 25% reduction in oxygen levels, and a corresponding approximately 25% reduction in atmospheric pressure. That is a double whammy for a naturally aspirated engine.

Before I went to the trouble of replacing the fans I would want to check out if they are receiving a signal, from the temp sensor to start. Do the following test - Apply 12 volts directly to the fan and if they don't start then it is the fan, but if they do start then check out the sensor & wiring. I find it odd that you'd have to replace the fans again.

Back