• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Desired New Feature - Please Motorrad!

bobs_one

With the introduction of TFT dash Screens and the increased electronics on our bikes, it should be simple for BMW to add a small bit of functionality to display error codes to us on the TFT Screen.

This seems to me to be a real safety issue/feature and should be very easy to implement (probably just a software update). Having your ride go into "Limp Home" mode, or stop running all together, with no indication of why, is not helpful. While I'd like them to show me everything (no more need for a GS911 - at least to read codes!), I'd settle for them just showing me some subset of the important ones.

How does a customer get a suggestion to der muttership?

With the introduction of TFT dash Screens and the increased electronics on our bikes, it should be simple for BMW to add a small bit of functionality to display error codes to us on the TFT Screen.

This seems to me to be a real safety issue/feature and should be very easy to implement (probably just a software update). Having your ride go into "Limp Home" mode, or stop running all together, with no indication of why, is not helpful. While I'd like them to show me everything (no more need for a GS911 - at least to read codes!), I'd settle for them just showing me some subset of the important ones.

You could send them a letter, but I wouldn't wait for a reply.

There's a cheaper alternative to a GS911, but you'll need an android phone/tablet and an OBD link

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H9S71LW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Perhaps tell them to also add a YouTube icon on the main screen. Make those long straight highway ride easier.

Outstanding suggestion!

Pete

Outstanding suggestion!

Pete

It seems that there is a concentrated effort on the part of the vehicle industry to keep diagnostic codes proprietary. A recent thread on the subject is - HERE

Way back in the days of OBD1, there was usually a way to manipulate one of the dash area switches to "flash" out an error code via the "check engine light". These codes were rudimentary but were a help. I'm currently working through a charging problem on a '92 Dodge with a Cummins using the OBD1 codes and the SOLUS.

I would suspect that the fight to keep the diagnostic information out of the "open" hands of those that like to do their own repairs and independent shops will continue.

OM

I don't know that displaying codes would be much help to the majority of owners. The problem with trouble codes is that they are not exactly a diagnosis of the issue, just in indication of a symptom. One still needs to do diagnostic work to figure out why the parameter that is causing the code is occurring. Sometimes its simple, but other times its complex.

What would truly be useful and sensible is a way for the average user to reset service reminders without a need for a tool. They have enabled that ability in their cars, why not on the bikes too? I do own a pair of GS-911s, one of each plug style, for diagnostics and resets and servicing as I do pretty much everything on our bikes. Many owners just want to change their own oil or do basic service and are forced to buy a tool to reset the reminders or live with the constant display.

Way back in the days of OBD1, there was usually a way to manipulate one of the dash area switches to "flash" out an error code via the "check engine light". These codes were rudimentary but were a help.

My '90s Miatas have that feature; the check engine light in a different sequence depending on the issue. I'm glad to see the OBDII scanners are getting cheaper though.

I don't know that displaying codes would be much help to the majority of owners. The problem with trouble codes is that they are not exactly a diagnosis of the issue, just in indication of a symptom. One still needs to do diagnostic work to figure out why the parameter that is causing the code is occurring. Sometimes its simple, but other times its complex.

Couldn't agree more. And, when it's a software issue, you simply have to rely on the update and hope that it cures the problem.

... How does a customer get a suggestion to der muttership?

That would be das Mutterschiff :)

I'd like to have them enable the km/kph selection in the TFT, for when I travel through Canada (if they ever let us back in...). The capability exists, it's in the owner's manual. The auto side of BMW enables the option (with secondary MPH display); my Audi has a metric-only display (no secondary at all). Sure, I can still enable tire pressure in bar, and fuel consumption in liters/100 km but the single most useful metric display has been blocked in software - why?

Back