• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Heated Liner

Under $200 is going to be a tough parameter if you want quality gear. The liners shown below squeak under the line, but you need to purchase a controller in addition to the liner.

https://www.warmnsafe.com/collections/heated-jacket-liners/products/generation-3-mens-heated-liner

https://www.warmnsafe.com/collectio...ration-waterproof-mens-heated-liner-in-colors

https://www.warmnsafe.com/collectio...s/generation-waterproof-65w-mens-heated-liner

WnS makes quality gear and in my experience has been great to deal with.

No vested interest, just a happy customer.

DeVern

Warm'n'Safe

I use https://www.warmnsafe.com/collections/heated-jacket-liners

I recently swapped to the "waterproof" model because it allows me to carry one less item of gear. I can wear a mesh riding jacket, and carry the waterproof heated liner instead of the rain shell that comes with the jacket. In Colorado, on the same day, I might have near freezing temps, 100F+ temps, and thunderstorms at different times. So, having gear that works across a range of conditions is important -- and accomplishing that with minimum space and weight is helpful.

Cycle Grear sale jacket

I bought a Cycle Gear (Hot Wired) jacket a couple of years ago on sale for around $100 and it has worked fine. I recommend getting a jacket liner e.g., one with arms, not just a vest.

I use a gen 2 HexEZcan to control the heat output. It is compact and fits under the R1200GS rear seat readily, and can be controlled by either the Wunderwheel or (as of 10/10/2020 via a software update) the Heated Grip controls for certain bikes that have factory heated grips. (The heated grip implementation on the 2016 R1200GS is a bit lame in that I have only has two heat positions, both too hot. I have to constantly switch it "on" and "off" to not overheat, so I instead use the Wunderwheel to control jacket heat. It has about 10 heat positions for jacket heat that way. I deal with the overhot grips by turning them on/off repeatedly. RT heated grip implementation has much more flexibility and finer control of grip heat.)

An important concern with heat controllers is that you need to be able to change heat settings without getting fixated on some device that takes your eyes off of the road. Keep that in mind when selecting one.

Heated gear companies advise just a thin under-grament like a Tee shirt, then their electric garments. If you put it over a heavy garment, like a sweatshirt, it is much harder for the heat to be felt, and you will have to use much much more heat to feel anything.

FYI, my jacket/gloves combo use about 6 amps at max heat (I never use max heat, though--way too hot.) I bought my heated gloves on Ebay for around $50. I use Wunderlich Part No. 25200-000 mitts , too, which seem to make it feel 15 degrees F warmer than it actually is. https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/wunderlich-motorcycle-handlebar-muffs-25200-000.html

Last edited:
... Heated gear companies advise just a thin grament like a Tee shirt, then their electric garments. If you put it over a heavy garment, like a sweatshirt, it is much harder for the heat to be felt, and you will have to use much much more heat to feel anything. ...

https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/wunderlich-motorcycle-handlebar-muffs-25200-000.html

Right, it's senseless to insulate yourself FROM the heated gear. I have been known to put a layer (e.g. flannel shirt) over my heated jacket, which helps considerably. I have a heated liner (basically a long-sleeve tee shirt) which is wonderful when I can plan ahead. But carrying a heated jacket in a small dry bag in my pannier is more flexible. For me using it alone is fine when it's in the 50's - 60's, plug it in when it drops into the 40's. I don't do cold as well as I used to, so I don't ride when it's under 40 if I can avoid it.

An important concern with heat controllers is that you need to be able to change heat settings without getting fixated on some device that takes your eyes off of the road. Keep that in mind when selecting one.

In the case of the Venture Heat 75W jacket, the remote controller and fused battery leads are included with the purchase.

I bought a Cycle Gear (Hot Wired) jacket a couple of years ago on sale for around $100 and it has worked fine. I recommend getting a jacket liner e.g., one with arms, not just a vest.

I use a gen 2 HexEZcan to control the heat output. It is compact and fits under the R1200GS rear seat readily, and can be controlled by either the Wunderwheel or (as of 10/10/2020 via a software update) the Heated Grip controls for certain bikes that have factory heated grips. (The heated grip implementation on the 2016 R1200GS is a bit lame in that I have only has too heat positions, both too hot. I have to constantly switch it "on" and "off" to not overheat, so I instead use the Wunderwheel to control jacket heat. It has about 10 heat positions for jacket heat that way. I deal with the overhot grips by turning them on/off repeatedly. RT heated grip implementation has much more flexibility and finer control of grip heat.)

Heated gear companies advise just a thin grament like a Tee shirt, then their electric garments. If you put it over a heavy garment, like a sweatshirt, it is much harder for the heat to be felt, and you will have to use much much more heat to feel anything.

FYI, my jacket/gloves combo use about 6 amps at max heat (I never use max heat, though--way too hot.) I bought my heated gloves on Ebay for around $50. I use Wunderlich Part No. 25200-000 mitts , too, which seem to make it feel 15 degrees F warmer than it actually is. https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/wunderlich-motorcycle-handlebar-muffs-25200-000.html

I have same HezEz. Did you buy the battery connect unit, cut the connectors off and wire into Hex leaving the connecting pigtail just hanging from under seat? Or did you plug jacket to existing DIN plug in on dash then use the battery connection unit and cut into DIN underneath and wire into Hex from there?

Back