Thread: Extra Hose After Carb Service

CAL0987

Smile Hose diagram,airbox/carbs/gas tank

Trying my hand at working on a 1998 F650 this time!
    Took a while to take the bike apart to get to the carbs. Did some replacement parts on the carbs and again a while to get it back together.
    After assembly, it seems i have an extra drain hose unaccounted for....
    SPent a long time online trying to find a good hose routing diagram for the carb and Airbox, but not much out there.
    So I made my own, I hope I reconnected everything correctly, was a little sloppy taking it apart.
    F650 Carbs (Copy).jpeg
    Not sure where the extra drain hose attaches to, it is on the left side , under the battery tray.

Also more fun: discovered after assembling everything, that when i went to connect the fuel line to the Petcock, it was about 2" short.
    The hose must have bee run from the carb facing the engine, and i ran it back way from the engine and around the fram.
    Rather than taking everything out again , decided to add some more hose to bridge the gap... seems the easiest way
    Last edited by cal0987; 10-14-2020 at 02:13 PM.

Is the hose the battery vent from original flooded battery?

There are a lot of abandoned battery vent lines since AGM’s were introduced on older bikes
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

CAL0987
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post

There are a lot of abandoned battery vent lines since AGM’s were introduced on older bikes
    Sounds like a great idea! I was kinda thinking the same, as the hose has some white residue inside...

From the picture it looks like the hose with the ??? is connected to the air box or is this a guess?

/Guenther
    2017 F700GS - I wish she had a drive shaft

CAL0987
    Quote Originally Posted by Guenther View Post
    From the picture it looks like the hose with the ??? is connected to the air box or is this a guess?

/Guenther
    No, that is just the extra hose connected to nothing.... Yesterday I removed it, assuming it was for the old battery box

CAL0987
    Originally Started as a project to get my Girlfriends 1997 F650 back and running after it was "puking petrol" 2 years back and had sat in the garage since. So took apart the carbs and replace most, except the floats , as they seemed good.
    I think it was a case of leaving the Petcock open too many times and for too long! Some of the seals may have been old too, but it was hard to tell since it sat so long. Did some float height adjustment also.
    Got everything back together after much struggling... went to connect the fuel line, and ooops, 2" short..damn! Turns out that I had run the fuel line back and around the frame, which I thought was the way it had gone, instead of forward close to the engine. Well instead of taking everything apart again, I just added a fuel filter and some extra fuel line on the way to the petcock...problem solved. .went to start up...nothing. turns out the battery was dead after 2 years sitting, even though I had periodically charged it. So ordered new battery, installed today, and after a little sputtering, it started! Took it around the block. .we have a running bike!
    20201017_171744 (Copy).jpg